Who Makes the Turd?

Dogbreath

The infamous Tofino Turd, who manufacturers it anyway?

A buddy of mine gave me one last year I must have lost it now someone wants to know details.

All I can find is that it's Model J85 Squid but from whom?

Golden Bait?

Yamashita?

kidphotors6.jpg

Hey Whalebreath,the turd is made by Yama****a.

Thats' dumb...can't even incorporate the letters which spell a bad word into another word.

Yo-zuri was making one years ago that was coined the Turd. Pacific Net and Twine is importing the one that is now known as the Turd under their own brand "North Pacific" and Angelo buys them from Pacific Net and Twine and simply repackages them under his own brand, in fact Angelo's entire range of hootchy skirts are mainly Pacific Net products. Be sure to add a chunk of backer rod insulation into the center of the Turd's body, as it will fish much better. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

I got them from highwater tackle in north van ,a few weeks ago ,have you ever had any luck with them

MJ, "backer rod insulation" what is this? A guide in Tofino said to add about 6 glow beads and a gold mylar skirt. I couldn't get offshore to try them, but I have a few in my box for next year. A pack of 2 is a bit cheaper in Coombs than Tofino, but Jay will show you where to use them so his advice is worth the 2 bucks.

The responses regarding the Turd are pretty accurate. It has been a standby for years for the Tofino area, and is commonly fished May thru late season as the larger mature Salmon love it.
Rigging options are many, with a main variation being glow or non glow beads and single or tandem hooks.

For clear water like we have had lately, I prefer chartruese or clear beads with a tapered gum puckey in the tip, wrapped with stick on pearlescent mylar that shows through the squid body.
I like tandem 4/0 singles tied tight together.

The newer variations like the glow splatter (looks like a mini-wheat) have also been very good, and you have to be less detailed on the internal rigging.

Hope this helps some who are unfamiliar with variations of the J-85 Yama****a Squid.

Also...The larger version works great trolled on the bottom for Halibut.

Jay

I will try an get some images up here in the next couple days, as I am away from Tofino and my gear/shop....

Jay

That isn't the turd my guide was using. Sorry could not post a pic here. Basically a translucent cuttlefish tube filled with red and glow beads, barrel swivel and a commercial siwash hook. Limited out in late August on it.

quote:Originally posted by cheech

That isn't the turd my guide was using....Basically a translucent cuttlefish tube filled with red and glow beads, barrel swivel and a commercial siwash hook. Limited out in late August on it.
Well then I guess just like in real life there are Turds and then are Turds....;)

kidphotors6.jpg

Looks like even Gibbs is getting in on the fame of the turd, bought one today at Harbour Chandler. Not as fishy looking as the other ones I've seen. The tackle industry is an interesting business, 3 manufactures all calling their version the same thing. Oh by the way, do not google the term unless your into scatological ****.

Edit, Disregard. I found an older image from the forum. PEBKAC attack.

turdu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking these Ukee next week-they were killer last year.Only now do I notice one is lighter than the other didn't make any difference though.

Note Glo Needlefish sized hootchie used as insert.

IMGP3074.jpg

IMGP3077.jpg

Here is one of the types from PNT.

Picture047.jpg

I really like it when fishing the basement early in the year for springs and halibut. Works great.

Sculpin, that's exactly like the one I bought today, last one, except it as splatters instead of dots. Most of the other ones I've seen have an elongated head like the one Dogbreath posted. I read somewhere that the turd pattern had more to do with the design than color but now I'm thinking otherwise.

Back