Whats your favorite Hali leader?

I usually tie my own with two 9/0 singles on 80# test. I will put an 8" hoochie on above for some attraction. I will put down glow, uv, plain white, or an octopus coloured hooch on depending on the mood/ depth/ water clarity.

what do you use?

Richard

Double 9/0 single J-hooks on 150# test with an LED inserted into a large octo hoochie, in any colour that I have. Ghost Shrimp, or something with Pink if I have options.

For spreader bar use I use my old stainless downrigger wire, 150 lb. Had lots when changed downriggers to braid. Same hoochie setup as mentioned above and 2 tandem 9/0 or 10/0 J hooks. Fish north island where fishing starts at 300 ft. 1 Dam dogfish bite and your 2 hooks could be gone with anything but wire, they do twist but mostly get a few before a change is required. For jigs 4ft 80 lb mono shock leader swiveled to my 50 lb braid on rods. Only use Tuff Line plus as its thinnest diameter for price.

HM

For drifting , Tandem 9/0 j hooks crimped 6 inches apart , top sliding , onto 2 foot of downrigger cable . Finish it off with a Flemish eye connected to a large barrel swivel . Top that off with either a glow skirt or glow grub and a full belly strip and bobs your uncle. Landed many large halibut last season while using this rig and only ended up having to leave 3 hooks in fish upon release , as we don't use holders while drifting and you can detect the strike and set instantly = more lip/mouth hooked fish. Anchoring up on the other hand , same rig , swapping the j hooks out for a single large mustad circle.

Adanac

Great name, was the name of farm I was raised on in Ont. Canada backwards.. Looks like we use the same rigs and way of fishing. Have you tried whipping the top hook on your wire? I use 80 lb mono, it enables you to slide the hooks apart for correct bait hook placement, tension does not slide hook without force and if dogie kinks you can slide top hook up to good wire and recrimp bottom hook. All else being same as you state.

HM

Great thread, just wondering if you guys had a couple of pictures of the riggings that you use. It all sounds good but having trouble picturing exactly how it looks. Thanks

9/0 vmc hooks. Absolutely superb IMO. Keep a fantastic point don't rust out. Tested them at ~90 lbs before they straighten out

0fb6f11a187dd9bdec9e812a608c4ab0.jpg

120lb test with crimped in swivels

Pulled up some 5 ft dogfish with out them chewing through

I like the kind of leaders that don't break. That being said, I once had a fish hooked near the trap shack that broke my 200lb cable leader. I put 300lb cable leader back on and whatever hooked back up again broke the swivel off the spreader bar...

Recycled downrigger cable. All the broken scraps and length removed when I switched to rigger braid. No more dogfish frays and if they get twisted up, I have a few hundred feet left over wrapped around an old crab float in the garage. I use about 18 -20 inches, add a few crimps, 2 circle hooks, a few beads and a glow hootchie.

2 x 9/0 on #150 test with a crimped end, shorter than the arm on my spreader bar. #40 test leader to #50 braid mainline.

#150 is the same stuff I use for d'rig clips. Nothing's chewed through it yet.

IMG_20150527_213252_185.jpg IMG_20150527_213252_185.jpg

Double 16/0 circles tied on 150 mono with crimped loop to swivel. I switch to wire leader when the doggies start barking.

Holds more bait and still seems to hook the same.

Back