Welding machine mig or stick

Some great suggestions above. GMAW hard wire with mixed gas all the way for the home shop. Get or make sure it comes with the flux core drive rolls just in case you want to play around with it. Lincoln NR211 is a pretty popular flux cored wire for home shop use. Nice thing about flux core is you can go uphill or overhead like stick if you have to.

Another place to look is Redi Arc. They are a welding rental outfit and sell new units. Sometimes you can get great deals through them on a couple year old machines. You might be able to get into a nicer rig and stay within budget. Most of their rental units are looked after and serviced regularly. Just food for thought.

Good luck and have fun :).

Last edited:
Looked up all the suppliers above and researched quite a few machines and i think i've nailed it down to the Miller 211 wow great machine for a beginner as suggested above
double the price i wanted to fork out but the ease and power of the machine is worth it a lot of great features for the new to welding ..
really like the advanced auto set what a great function i'll post a video of the unit if anyone else is interested .

And again Thanks :)

Last edited:
Some great suggestions above. GMAW hard wire with mixed gas all the way for the home shop. Get or make sure it comes with the flux core drive rolls just in case you want to play around with it. Lincoln NR211 is a pretty popular flux cored wire for home shop use. Nice thing about flux core is you can go uphill or overhead like stick if you have to.

Another place to look is Redi Arc. They are a welding rental outfit and sell new units. Sometimes you can get great deals through them on a couple year old machines. You might be able to get into a nicer rig and stay within budget. Most of their rental units are looked after and serviced regularly. Just food for thought.

Good luck and have fun :).

Good advice

Having used good machines for the last 40 years and tried or seen results from cheap machines I think it is a good investment buying a good machine. Miller won't do you wrong and you won't have the frustration from inadequate quality. Yes skill is also a factor in weld quality but the quality of the machine is a big factor too and skill will improve quicker with a good machine.

Back