Washington State Bans Whale Watching of SRKW

I find it funny how when if comes to fisheries everyone blames DFO, but when it comes to taxes no one blames revenue canada. When it comes to taxes the party of the day owns the decision.

The decision to capture whales was around 1964 under a liberal government. led by Lester Pearson

In 1976 live captures were banned under a Liberal government, led by Prime Minister Trudeau

People saw the harm it caused and black fish went from being hated to be loved.

SRKW obviously have a big history with the Liberal Government, Again were seeing management measure under a Liberal government.

The same happens with salmon stocks, We all want to hammer them hard until no show up and then it's time to point fingers. In most cases we don't fish for stocks that cannot support a fishery. The major problem is mixed stock fisheries. Everyone wants to hammer the abundant stock however we also hammer the endangered co migrating stock.

That's where the major part of DFO miss management happens, But what do you guys want? Only to have terminal fisheries? DFO gets sued every time someone doesnt get their TAC.

area E gillnetters are currently suing DFO because they did not get their TAC of sockeye because it got shut down for the coho closure. Area B seiners came in and cleaned up the remaining TAC.

Add into management all the supreme court decisions and I am not sure I would do a better job then DFO.

Ha....Matt k. I am completely ok with closures for salmon...if it is for everyone and salmon are the actual true goal for closures. I get you are pretty new to our fisheries....but years of overfishing have led us to a collapse in our fisheries.
You can’t have the repetitive obstacles on our stocks within the Fraser that DFO allows from March till December with the netting. And yes DFO is completely to blame! DFO number one concern should be preserving salmon stocks even if it means closing a user group down! And they should be 100% accountable for closing one group and letting another wipe out what returns to the terminal areas!

I still blame the natural environment for not being consistently productive like everyone wants. Fisheries that are not harvested have totally collapsed like Gold river steelhead yet everyone points the finger at managers, "greedy" fishermen, loggers, ffer's, urban development or whoever. DFO didn't cause the die off in productivity. Neither did fishermen. It is just nature taking it's course. Humans are not causing everything to go extinct the natural world has been doing it periodically for millions of years.

You have my answer already, you've already read it and chosen to ignore my input. We are all greedy and intertwined as humans. We will always do to the maximum of what we are allowed to do. Legally or not we will harvest and kill to excess. That is what humans do, we were trained to do what it is that we do. If I was remotely as smart as you, perhaps I too would go for reeducation and stop hunting and fishing. Killing is archaic isn't it?! The only change can come from people themselves. :)

Disclaimer: When I say we - It means our species in general.
So is catch and release steelhead fishing a form of greed?

Your thoughts are for you to decide and not for me to dictate. I will always have a choice to do. What I have chosen is good with me. :)
Well I was just pointing out that while you call fishermen greedy for fishing what and when they can you are being the enabler by providing them all with fishing gear to do so. I don't see that act as putting fish first rather than putting money in your pocket at the expense of fish. Just sayin.

Not sure if it is already discussed on this thread but wouldn't it be proactive to attach a transponder to some of the srkw's so they appear on the vessel traffic monitoring system? This way all boats could easily know where the whales are at all times and avoid encounters.

It's hard isn't it?! I am sure that this is the statement that triggered all of your pointed questions and continuous dialog to render your point valid or not.
I said: "Man is the destroyer of all GOD's(Creator's) wealth. That is real and totally evolves from individual choice and level of greed. :)"

I am pretty certain that I did not single sectors, people, individuals out. Again "That is real and totally evolves from individual choice and level of greed." :)

I am out. Good luck. :)
I absolutely disagree with you on the ideal of "man is the destroyer of all god's wealth". Nature does it on it's own. Without man here to harvest, enjoy and give wealth to the creation what worth would it all have??

Come on Rob I'm just playing with you. You were getting kind of bibleish and reading the bible makes me want to jump of a cliff, I also have high regards for my fellow Canadians brown or white who employ them selves at any sport/commercial fishery, ff 's, logging, mining, tackle sales....ect and would never consider anyone greedy for making a living of a natural resource. So maybe we were talking different English back there! Lets get back to the subject. No hard feelings ment.
I have a friend at transport Canada who said it would be easy to follow the whales by satellite. All vessel masters could use cell phone apps to avoid the whales.

Ha....Matt k. I am completely ok with closures for salmon...if it is for everyone and salmon are the actual true goal for closures. I get you are pretty new to our fisheries....but years of overfishing have led us to a collapse in our fisheries.
You can’t have the repetitive obstacles on our stocks within the Fraser that DFO allows from March till December with the netting. And yes DFO is completely to blame! DFO number one concern should be preserving salmon stocks even if it means closing a user group down! And they should be 100% accountable for closing one group and letting another wipe out what returns to the terminal areas!

Supreme Court has made that a reality. Not DFO.

Go ask your friends in the know why DFO seizes net and never presses charges against individuals.

If it makes you feel all warm and fussy to blam DFO then continue to do that but it’s a polictal game.

DFO is just the instrument of our leaders.

Conservatives favour fisheries and economies and for the most part don’t care about wild salmon. Hence fireing all DFO biologist. However they do stone wall many bills that favoured First Nations

Liberals favour First Nations as seen now and in the past.however I think the liberal government also tends to care more about wild salmon well Atlest the environmental enhancement part.

Thoes commercial fisheries that hammerd the stocks for years were very important to the economy. Big political lobby behind it.

I know you and many others would give up fishing if it meant eveyone did and we could see Stocks recover.

Perhaps even that’s where we are heading

Back