Waking in a no wake 5 knot Zone.

fishin_magician

This afternoon I was witness to an altercation in False Creek. I was was tied up to the fuel dock.

A local business's boat in False Creek entered the Creek at 6-7 knots and was kicking up an excessive and annoying wake. Definitely frusterating at the best of times. Since the Coast Guard has left, it has become an epidemic....Jet Skis, Rental Boats, weekenders, recreational boaters...and now commercial operators...

As I was attempting to tie up The offending businesses boat squeaked in behind me, tied up at the fuel dock in clear view along the side from where I was fueling. Couldn't he wait until I was roped off? A couple of minutes later One of the boaters who saw the wake or was affected went up to the business owner about his behaviour and from there it deteriorated into an loud altercation with yelling. From what I heard, the offending business owner in so many words told the boater that he wrong and that he didn't know what he was talking about as he was going 5 knots and the wake wasn't his problem. The boater became pretty upset at basically being told to "**** off" and being told he didn't know what he was talking about and that everyone else rips through the creek committing the same offence. The boater said that he would call the Police so that he can answer to them for his actions. The business owner kept on and told him that "I did nothing wrong". That pushed the dudes buttons and the yelling got loud. At that point the Barge crew got involved and told the boater to leave as they were "trying to run a business" and would be calling the police. The boater left and I then observed the captain of the offending boat start chasing the boater down the dock demanding to know his name, what boat he has and seemed to be trying to entice the the boater into a fight and asked him "What are you going to do about it? call the police? go ahead" and he harassed him all the way down the dock...definitely trying to intimidate him physically.

The barge crew called the police and I told them in that I'm disappointed in the actions of the business owner and the whole commotion I witnessed. The business owner should have conducted himself better and the barge crew should have dealt with the offending business.

It's apparent to me that people seem to think they can do whatever they want and then try to intimidate and bully people when they are clearly in the wrong.

Just a good reminder for all you folks fueling at the he gas barges..it's required that everyone to remember to switch off all electrical and disembark all passengers before fueling. I saw a boat fueling with 2 people on board while I was there and I wasn't asked if I had turned off all sources of ignition either.

Boat safely people...

Andrew, was this around 6 ish tonight?
if so I think they were on the radio first nattering back and forth,
one guy called him and told him to slow down as he was leaving a massive wake,
his reply was "I'm only doing 5.5 knt so nothing illegal" he then says "so what are you worried about speed or wake?"
I think it was a serious lack of courtesy toward other boaters and their boats, with the typical attitude of screw everyone else im ok that seems to be evolving,
some of those fricken whale boats are the absolute worst, they pass on plane within 30' of you, I've hollered at them a few times
and will not help them at all anymore with theyre search of the whales

No...earlier around 4:30.....

I know the boats you're talking about...the Green Tubs moor out of Granville Island. I was waked by one of them last weekend. Some needs to talk to those guys....there is simply no need to do that. The yellow ones run out of the Westin. I haven't been waked by the Yellow ones yet but give it time it'll happen. Funny enough I was waked by a certain well known Grady last Sunday at 30 mph...35' off my Port Side while trolling for Chinook...there wasn't another boat within 600'!!!

There is recourse when you are waked by a commercial vessel. It's not necessarily worth the time to complain to thr proper authorities but if it gets the guy who was running the boat hell from the owner of the business, it's damn well deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate it when I hear those idiots asking for whale sightings and offering prizes or whatever, I go fishing to get away from telemarketers. Don't help these guys.

After getting waked by different whaleboats, I refuse to help them. Why help people who obviously have no courtesy? They think nothing of just about swamping smaller boats in their big rush to get out and then request help finding whales....yeah, good luck with that.

Best line I heard all summer in Winter Harbour, guy was motoring a full speed in the harbor and was being told to slow down as it is a no wake area, his response was to tell everybody to .FU. The fuel dock guy looked at him and said Yea and I don't have to sell you fuel. End of story

I saw a boat fueling with 2 people on board while I was there and I wasn't asked if I had turned off all sources of ignition either.

Boat safely people...

That's too bad as the two gals I have seen there most times this summer have been diligent about everybody off the boat.

As for False Creek.....yup.....no attention to speed/wake.

Boats buzzing you while trolling....yup....have had the tower buzzed and very emphatically shake my head while saying..."it's a big ocean". Can't count the number of times this year it has happened. One of the better ones was a few weeks back when our steering went and we were dead in the water for quite some time. 2 guys who were fishing in the area...trolled by us in an older 22ish foot boat with me hanging out the back of the boat between the two engines trying my darnedest working on a fix to get us in; pretty obvious we were in trouble with light fading. They pulled up about 10-15 minutes later and rolled by at full speed within 40'....with me still hanging out the back. This was at the North Arm with very few boats left out in the evening....and they still couldn't give us more of a wide berth with me in the transom let alone ask if we needed help. What a jackass.

Same night....I won't even get started on the local guide boat that trolled within 30-40 feet so us MANY times while dead in the water and not once even gave a polite "you guys need help?" and add to that also left with fading light without an acknowledgement. I get you have customers on board but I would sure never split with darkness encroaching to at least see what the problem may be and "are you guys going to be okay?" I wouldn't ask for a tow from a guide boat but along with boating safely....some courtesy to your fellow boaters goes a LNG way as well.

I assume the local Grady is a guide boat FM??? One that is possibly in dry dock or a salvage yard in Nanaimo?

Yes it's becoming a lot worse since the CG left and it seems like the VPD have left False Creek too have barely seen them around all summer.

Yup....even if they didn't have a boat in the water in the immediate vicinity I have regularly seen a guy run out on to the deck and very emphatically wave arms to get the boaters attention and tell them to slow down.

And btw, 5 knots in some boats is too fast and kicks up a mother of a wave. Common sense needs to prevail and I'd say 5 knots should be max speed and some cases it should be a crawl.

That's too bad as the two gals I have seen there most times this summer have been diligent about everybody off the boat.

As for False Creek.....yup.....no attention to speed/wake.

Boats buzzing you while trolling....yup....have had the tower buzzed and very emphatically shake my head while saying..."it's a big ocean". Can't count the number of times this year it has happened. One of the better ones was a few weeks back when our steering went and we were dead in the water for quite some time. 2 guys who were fishing in the area...trolled by us in an older 22ish foot boat with me hanging out the back of the boat between the two engines trying my darnedest working on a fix to get us in; pretty obvious we were in trouble with light fading. They pulled up about 10-15 minutes later and rolled by at full speed within 40'....with me still hanging out the back. This was at the North Arm with very few boats left out in the evening....and they still couldn't give us more of a wide berth with me in the transom let alone ask if we needed help. What a jackass.

Same night....I won't even get started on the local guide boat that trolled within 30-40 feet so us MANY times while dead in the water and not once even gave a polite "you guys need help?" and add to that also left with fading light without an acknowledgement. I get you have customers on board but I would sure never split with darkness encroaching to at least see what the problem may be and "are you guys going to be okay?" I wouldn't ask for a tow from a guide boat but along with boating safely....some courtesy to your fellow boaters goes a LNG way as well.

I assume the local Grady is a guide boat FM??? One that is possibly in dry dock or a salvage yard in Nanaimo?

Sadly Scott, the Grady is a Guide Ship. I have addressed the issue with the business owner. It's a good thing I haven't addressed the guide personally because it wouldn't be a warm and fuzzy affair. Sadly, the F&$):ng Guide doesn't have the gonads to call and apologize which is more than just a little disapponting.

Anyways, when I get that big Grady (you know the one) he won't be setting foot in it or running it on charters either.

Unfortunately respect is a value that a few people don't understand ...

Sorry to hear about that mishap you had on the water... I would have stopped to check in if I saw someone in trouble... Guests or no guests. If that happens again, give me a call, if I'm in the water you can count on me.

There's this one boat, "The Blue Pearl"..... It's like he's making a quilt the way he weaves through a crowd off the Fraser :D

200.gif

There's this one boat, "The Blue Pearl"..... It's like he's making a quilt the way he weaves through a crowd off the Fraser :D

200.gif
LOL Blue pearl or Black pearl? CC black t-top by chance

Back