Victoria waterfront

S

silica

Hey all,

Total beginner, please go easy!
I posted a similar question in the fall, but want to know again.....

I had great luck fishing off the waterfront between Clover Point and Oak Bay last August...managed to catch two 20lb springs! (my first salmon) Anyway....Im spin casting from the rocks with buzz bombs......but obviously the fish are farther out right now. Does anybody have any guesses as to when the salmon move closer to shore, withing range of the boatless shorebound fisherman?
I realize also that the Salmon are following herring/needlefish, but again I dont kno anything about their patterns of travel over the coming weeks months. I really would love to have a bit of action again soon!!

Any help greatly appreciated...

Silica

Well Silica, you still have a while to wait. The action off the waterfront for shore bound fisherman probobly won't heat up unitl July-August. However there are places to cast from shore at both Beachy Head and Otter Pt that should be productive starting in early june.
Best of Luck
TT

Well Silica, you still have a while to wait. The action off the waterfront for shore bound fisherman probobly won't heat up unitl July-August. However there are places to cast from shore at both Beachy Head and Otter Pt that should be productive starting in early june.
Best of Luck
TT

Actually silica the salmon are for the most part at your feet and not always far out by the boats. The boats have to stay in those water to fish properly with riggers bu a good number of chinooks can be found of those point that TT mention from as early as late May through Oct. I wouldn't cancel out March of the breakwater either due to the winter springs chasing the herring up the Gorge.

Actually silica the salmon are for the most part at your feet and not always far out by the boats. The boats have to stay in those water to fish properly with riggers bu a good number of chinooks can be found of those point that TT mention from as early as late May through Oct. I wouldn't cancel out March of the breakwater either due to the winter springs chasing the herring up the Gorge.

thats a good point about the Gorge herring yo mamma, I have heard stories about guys catching springs right in the inner harbour. probobly just myth though

thats a good point about the Gorge herring yo mamma, I have heard stories about guys catching springs right in the inner harbour. probobly just myth though

And I know the seals go right up the gorge as far as craigflower at this time of year with the herring so I'm sure the odd spring will as well

And I know the seals go right up the gorge as far as craigflower at this time of year with the herring so I'm sure the odd spring will as well

TT yes the inner harbour does produce i have done it many a time from the coast guard dock to the breakwater only when the herring start moving up though was off of there today didnt see much on the sounder keep you informed Wolf

TT yes the inner harbour does produce i have done it many a time from the coast guard dock to the breakwater only when the herring start moving up though was off of there today didnt see much on the sounder keep you informed Wolf

ROUGH THE WIND SHIFTED!!!!!!!then it calmed down a bit with the tide change got a couple of small ones thats it.

ROUGH THE WIND SHIFTED!!!!!!!then it calmed down a bit with the tide change got a couple of small ones thats it.

Back