Victoria Boat Launches

Highliner

Hey guys,

I might try to the waterfron this weekend. Where can you launch around there. I've only used Cattle Point before. Where else can you launch? Esquimalt Anglers? Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Yes, you can launch at the James Bay anglers ramp near Trotac Marine, you can also launch at the Esquimalt Anglers ramp at Fleming Beach. I know at Esquimalt you can pay an $8 ramp fee if you aren't a member. I don't know about the fees at the James Bay ramp.

Thanks Gerry. I guess it was James Bay I was thinkinbg of...duh.

Does anyone know about the James Bay ramp?

I always use the Flemming beach launch ( esq anglers ) been a member for years . Best ramp in town Imo . and 35 for a year pass is great

James Bay ramp is free as far as I remember but shoddy with no float and close to rocks = gong show especially with a larger boat. Go Esquimalt.

I've launched at James bay several time's.
it's not as good as esquimalt, but sheltered and easy enough to deal with.
There's never any one there though, so not sure if it's any honour
system .???
I bought an annual pass a couple years ago for $20.00

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Thanks guys,

Is the Equimalt ramp on Lampson?

yup, just go right down to the end and you will see Fleming Beach, good signs, parking etc.

I usually fish out of Cheanuh, but was wondering if there was another boat launch farther west closer to otter point or sheringham pointÉ With a smaller boat it is too long a run to get out there from Cheanuh or from the sooke harbour launches.

I like launching at either the Crab Shak or Sooke Harbour Marina next door (no place there to keep a trailer tho'). They are right at the harbour entrance so the run west is about 15 mins shorter because you are not in the controlled speed area.

As for James Bay, you gotta watch the wind. If the wind is blowing from the west, the waves tend to hit that ramp pretty hard. The warf is some very rough concrete, particularly on the right side (facing the water) and it will take a good bite out of a boat. I believe the cost is $5 per launch.

Cattle point is great -- it's one of the better launches around here except for the fact that there is no warf or dock -- but given the price, you can't really complain too much.

quote:Originally posted by nightfall33

I usually fish out of Cheanuh, but was wondering if there was another boat launch farther west closer to otter point or sheringham pointÉ With a smaller boat it is too long a run to get out there from Cheanuh or from the sooke harbour launches.

Nope, you either launch out of the basin, or further east
the trailer park @ otter point is a private launch.
The next point is Renfrew.

there is another marina and boat launch at the entrance to east sooke park.It used to be open only in summer month's,not sure of current status.Pacific lions is the name of it.I have heard rumors of a new marina at silver spray at the end of east sooke road.

Pacific lions is not a public launch anymore - since 5 years ago or so. Only if you camp there can you use it. I guess the campers got tired of the noises at 4 AM in the morning all summer long...

quote:Originally posted by marula

I heard rumours they dredged jocks dock a little deeper, any truth to that?

Jocks was dredged end of last summer. I remember launching at an extremely low tide last fall and the dock was high and dry but the water was deep enough to launch at less than 1 ft of tide

thats a launch i use all the time, its $20 for a membership, or 5 bucks a time for non members.
everytime i come in theres allways a guy in the office.
comes out has a wee chat an nips back in.
but the ramps poorly looked after,too many branches,logs an sea weed everwhere,
but super cheap

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

I've launched at James bay several time's.
it's not as good as esquimalt, but sheltered and easy enough to deal with.
There's never any one there though, so not sure if it's any honour
system .???
I bought an annual pass a couple years ago for $20.00

Back