Vancouver Sun: Research group buys 'salmon ranch' to feed southern resident orcas

That's what happens when people who know little about the reasons behind salmon declines try to do things designed to look as if they know how to solve it. Pinniped predation for example, has been calculated as having the highest impact on salmon declines. I saw a recent presentation by the Prov of BC showing an analysis demonstrating that addressing predation from seals would result in 486% change in spawner abundance of Interior Thompson Steelhead. Interior Fraser Chinook out-migrate as larger smolts and suffer similar predation due to their size and caloric value as Steelhead. Let's stop chasing the shinny pennies the enviros are tossing out there.

I saw the same presentation I assume, and it also indicated that continuing commercial harvest during the key migration period has been a major contributing factor to interior steelhead stocks . Ban gill nets and move to sustainable fishing methods will have a huge impact on the survival of adults returning to spawning grounds in river such as the Fraser and Skeena.

lets not ban gill nets. instead just kill a few million seals and that will sort em out real good. what could possibly go wrong ?
oh wait...its called a food web ? welp lets just kill the rest of the web as well. its interfering with the fishing anyway.
nature. really pesky thing getting in the way of converting the oceans into fish factories.

Last edited:
Back