Vancouver Island guided fishing and lower mainland shore fishing suggestions?

jwest

Hi,

I'm from Manitoba and I'm looking for some advice,

Looking to go fishing on Vancouver island this week for Salmon (Chinook and coho mostly), Halibut, lingcod, crab and any other good edible fish. Looking to do a 5 hour trip one day for salmon in the $500 range and one trip to do bottom fish in the $500 range. Looking for a resort that has cabins for $150-$250 a night. Not looking for luxury, as opposed to good fishing and a beautiful scenery. I'm not really sure where the best place to fish on Vancouver island would be this time of year for Chinook and Coho? Overall though, would like to catch as much fish this time of year as possible, and just not sure where that would be. We're hoping to go mid-week, but not sure if most places would be booked solid considering I want to book 2 or 3 days in advance?

Also, any decent shore fishing within an hour of Burnaby this time of year? Brought my spinning rods and would like to just relax by the shore and cast out. I've heard Chilliwack has some red Chinooks that you can catch by the shore, but haven't heard of anything else.

Thanks for taking the time,

I would recommend going to Tofino if the weather is good, Clayoquot Ventures Tofino Fishing
www.tofinofishing.com and see if you can get Matt if he is working this year. They do half day charters and we had an excellent time last year with them. Good bunch of folks, good boats and if you have kids Matt is excellent. Another area that would be good is Uke, not sure of any charters but am sure some guys will come on and point you in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy the West Coast you won't be disappointed.

Cheers, Dave.

jwest - also try mouth of Cap at this time of year for shore fishing. Looks like Coho are trickling in. I haven't shore fished the mouth since I was a kid and out there with my Dad in the 80s, but there are still a lot of guys trying their luck there. Buzzbombs used to work in certain areas there.

PM sent jwest

Sooke is hot right now everything is here Springs,Coho,pinks,even sockeye. getting lots of action all day.

I would also suggest Sooke tons of fish plus more accommodation to choose from esp last min and faster and easier to get to, Tofino is quite a drive unless you want that! Port Renfrew is and hour and half past sooke but not many places to stay. Wolf also forgot to mention lots of hali around caught my first one with him lasy year and saw three slabs one the cleaning table from sooke waters yesterday. Profisher on this board is also a sooke guide who knows his ****.

Back