Urgent - tsunami message number 4

Sushihunter

Web message at http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/2011/03/11/lhvpd9/04/messagelhvpd9-04.htm

WEAK51 PAAQ 110854
TSUAK1

BULLETIN
PUBLIC TSUNAMI MESSAGE NUMBER 4
NWS WEST COAST/ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER PALMER AK
1254 AM PST FRI MAR 11 2011

NO NEW UPDATES SINCE LAST MESSAGE.

...THE TSUNAMI ADVISORY CONTINUES IN EFFECT FOR THE COASTAL
AREAS OF ALASKA FROM CHIGNIK BAY ALASKA TO ATTU ALASKA...

...THE TSUNAMI WATCH CONTINUES IN EFFECT FOR THE COASTAL
AREAS OF CALIFORNIA - OREGON - WASHINGTON - BRITISH
COLUMBIA AND ALASKA FROM THE CALIFORNIA-MEXICO BORDER TO
CHIGNIK BAY ALASKA...

A TSUNAMI ADVISORY MEANS THAT A TSUNAMI CAPABLE OF PRODUCING STRONG CURRENTS OR WAVES DANGEROUS TO PERSONS IN OR VERY NEAR THE WATER IS EXPECTED. SIGNIFICANT WIDESPREAD INUNDATION IS NOT EXPECTED FOR AREAS UNDER AN ADVISORY. CURRENTS MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO SWIMMERS... BOATS... AND COASTAL STRUCTURES AND MAY CONTINUE FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER THE INITIAL WAVE ARRIVAL.

A TSUNAMI WATCH MEANS... ALL COASTAL RESIDENTS IN THE WATCH AREA SHOULD PREPARE FOR POSSIBLE EVACUATION. A TSUNAMI WATCH IS ISSUED TO AREAS WHICH WILL NOT BE IMMEDIATELY IMPACTED BY THE TSUNAMI.
WATCH AREAS WILL EITHER BE UPGRADED TO WARNING OR ADVISORY STATUS OR CANCELED.

AT 946 PM PACIFIC STANDARD TIME ON MARCH 10 AN EARTHQUAKE WITH PRELIMINARY MAGNITUDE 8.9 OCCURRED NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU JAPAN.
THIS EARTHQUAKE HAS GENERATED A TSUNAMI WHICH COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO REGIONS IN A WARNING OR ADVISORY.
THE WAVES WILL FIRST REACH
SHEMYA ALASKA AT 1212 AM AKST ON MARCH 11.
ESTIMATED TSUNAMI ARRIVAL TIMES AND MAPS ALONG WITH SAFETY RULES AND OTHER INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND ON THE WEB SITE WCATWC.ARH.NOAA.GOV.

MEASUREMENTS OR REPORTS OF TSUNAMI ACTIVITY

LOCATION LAT LON TIME AMPL
------------------------ ----- ------ ------- -----------
TOSASHIMIZU JAPAN 32.8N 132.9E 0747UTC 00.9FT/00.27M
TOKAI JAPAN 33.8N 137.6E 0645UTC 00.8FT/00.25M
OFUNATO JAPAN 39.0N 141.8E 0605UTC 10.8FT/03.29M
HANASAKI JAPAN 43.3N 145.6E 0643UTC 09.3FT/02.82M
BOSO JAPAN 34.8N 140.8E 0609UTC 02.6FT/00.78M

TIME - TIME OF MEASUREMENT
AMPL - TSUNAMI AMPLITUDES ARE MEASURED RELATIVE TO NORMAL SEA LEVEL.
IT IS ...NOT... CREST-TO-TROUGH WAVE HEIGHT.
VALUES ARE GIVEN IN BOTH METERS(M) AND FEET(FT).

TSUNAMI OBSEVEED ON DEEP OCEAN BUOY
UPGRADED MAGNITUDE TO 8.8
OFUNATO 3.3 METERS/11 FT
HANASAKI 2.8 METERS/ 8.5 FT

TSUNAMIS CAN BE DANGEROUS WAVES THAT ARE NOT SURVIVABLE. WAVE HEIGHTS ARE AMPLIFIED BY IRREGULAR SHORELINE AND ARE DIFFICULT TO FORECAST. TSUNAMIS OFTEN APPEAR AS A STRONG SURGE AND MAY BE PRECEDED BY A RECEDING WATER LEVEL. MARINERS IN WATER DEEPER THAN 600 FEET SHOULD NOT BE AFFECTED BY A TSUNAMI. WAVE HEIGHTS WILL INCREASE RAPIDLY AS WATER SHALLOWS. TSUNAMIS ARE A SERIES OF OCEAN WAVES WHICH CAN BE DANGEROUS FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER THE INITIAL WAVE ARRIVAL. DO NOT RETURN TO EVACUATED AREAS UNTIL AN ALL CLEAR IS GIVEN BY LOCAL CIVIL AUTHORITIES.

PACIFIC COASTAL REGIONS OUTSIDE CALIFORNIA/ OREGON/ WASHINGTON/ BRITISH COLUMBIA AND ALASKA SHOULD REFER TO THE PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER MESSAGES FOR INFORMATION ON THIS EVENT AT WWW.WEATHER.GOV/PTWC.

THIS MESSAGE WILL BE UPDATED IN 30 MINUTES OR SOONER IF THE SITUATION WARRANTS. THE TSUNAMI MESSAGE WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO... YOUR LOCAL TV OR RADIO STATIONS... OR SEE THE WEB SITE WCATWC.ARH.NOAA.GOV.

$$

The whole town has been at the school all night, how about you guys in Uki ? Watching on CNN and waiting to see what happens here on our coast, im in renfrew

it was up to 7 feet in Hawaii - expecting up to 7 in California...I think Renfrew should be fine except for the marina in the river - perhaps some minor spillover in beach camp...Alberni, may be a problem based on history and topography.

any updates on west coast? anything show up in Renfrew JW?

CNN has its ongoing "California beachwatch" footage....which is hours of live footage of a reporter killing time in front of a flat ocean.

I got a 3am call from my brother in law in Finland about this one (daytime there when quake happened). I wonder how we'd be notified officially if this quake was off the Charlottes, with 20 minutes warning max? Hmm. In Hawaii they have sirens, I think in Tofino too. Around here I think we just have those signs as you leave town....

Was up from the first call at 1 am. We had it upgraded to a watch at 2 am, until it was stood down this morning. Lots of nervous people in Coal harbour and Port Alice.

The waves that hit Japan were amazing. Sad as well!!!

Cheers

SS

its pretty straight forward JDS - if its close enough to not give warning, you'd feel the quake and know to get the heck out of there. If its up in the charlottes and you don't feel it (although we would with a 9 or bigger still), you would likely have 4-5 hours notice and PEP would notify all agencies and get the alerts out where there are no sirens...fire/police etc etc The japan quake was 130k from land and took just under an hour for tsunami to hit land.

Well, here in Tahsis, the Fire Department got paged to go to the fire hall about 1 AM or so.

They didn't go around knocking on doors or lighting up the siren which can be heard quite loudly all over town.

The tested the siren recently and it was loud enough that both my cats went running for cover inspite of the fact that they were indoors and all the windows and doors were closed. I live about a kilometer from the fire hall and siren.

Anyway, after watching the news all night and listening to the police scanner, I went to bed before the "big wave" hit. When I woke up around 10:30 AM there was no water outside my place, so I felt safe in letting the cat outside.

Short of a large local quake generating a local tsunami, I'm not worried about it here.

Interesting thing is that I get earthquake notices by email and on Twitter. This region has been getting a bunch of quakes over magnitude 5, with quite a few over 7 during the last week. Since the 8.9 broke, the number of quakes there is almost constant. There must have been a lot of movement and tension released over the past week or so. Makes you wonder where else the tension needs relief.

any updates on west coast? anything show up in Renfrew JW?

CNN has its ongoing "California beachwatch" footage....which is hours of live footage of a reporter killing time in front of a flat ocean.

I got a 3am call from my brother in law in Finland about this one (daytime there when quake happened). I wonder how we'd be notified officially if this quake was off the Charlottes, with 20 minutes warning max? Hmm. In Hawaii they have sirens, I think in Tofino too. Around here I think we just have those signs as you leave town....

no not a thing i even put the plug in the boat lol long night though

On the way to work the shallow bay at the six mile was draining like a mofo..... Millstream at extreme flood stage couldn't have done that. Almost stopped to watch

I wonder how we'd be notified officially if this quake was off the Charlottes, with 20 minutes warning max? Hmm. In Hawaii they have sirens, I think in Tofino too. Around here I think we just have those signs as you leave town....

Here in Tahsis we have a siren on top of the Fire Hall. Very loud when they tested it recently.

How would you find out? Easy. Get on Twitter and subscribe to the various Earthquake notice Tweets, and sign up for emails at the various Earthquake and Tsunami warning centres.

I knew we were headed for trouble about a half hour before the RCMP and the Fire Chief got the call over the radio.

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/subscribe.php

http://ptwc.weather.gov/?region=1

http://www.tsunami.noaa.gov/

http://www.pnsn.org/welcome.html

Back