Updated Info on Podding and Coast Guard Inspection

Last Chance

Admin
Staff member
Well, I officially got the nod on pod installation covering the old sterndrive hole. No problem at all, passed inspection fine. So this saves a lot of messy dirty fiberglass work for anyone doing inspections. I just wish that the ^*&(!@@# regulations were clear about needing a high water light, but otherwise, cakewalk.

Hey LC - did you do the work yourself or did you have someone do it who was willing to sign off to that it was done to the TC small vessel standards?

Did they want a light and alarm?

Bet your glad that inspections done :) I was sweating bullets for weeks before my first one as you never know what individual inspectors are going to choose to focus on...

The high water light is the only thing that they wanted, which I just jumped off of the bilge pump switch, and that was fine. I did point out that the pod is bolted on better and stronger then your typical stern drive, and that was that. IT wasn't someone who was signing of on TC vessels that made the pod, it was a local fabrication shop. A bigger deal was made of me not having a paper chart for Sidney because I casually mentioned I fish there sometimes LOL . There is a stability test that boats are going to have to conform with, but that is fall's project. Also, the sides must be 3 feet high via railing or something, so that rules out just about half of every fishing boat I know of. Anyone with a Northwest boat looking for certification, get a rail! - Edit

The stability test thing is a PAIN in the butt. I got slapped with a weather restiction due to the results of my stability test but it is not that big of a deal as it equated to winds higher than I'd typically go out in anyway.

On the railing thing we got an exculsion as we use out boat for scuba diving tours which would not have been possible with a railing as we have folks do a back roll as their entry technique. We compromised and agreed to have our guests wear Mustang inflatables at all times while underway, which again we did already anyways so no big deal.

Perhaps it's time you did some dive charters :D

We got spot checked while Prawning the Inlet on Friday by the RCMP in there 26' Titan, they were going through all the details on K or BC registration, C#, TC inspection, ROC Certificate for VHF, Fishing License, Exp. on Flares,Fire Extiguisher dates,the works. They are Feds working toghether with TC and DFO in making sure the Charter Boats are certified and inspected. Gave us a invoice from the Canada Shipping act showing we were checked and met there criteria. The main thing they were after is vessles unregistered in the current owners name and non compliant or non Certified Charter Boats.

Loose the Decals if you did not cert. yet!

This is all getting to complicated for my liking!

Not necessarily a bad thing Maddog, will just mean more business for the guys who take guiding seriously instead of the guys who try to make a quick buck off a fishing boat that floats. It is still easier to become and get certified as a small charter boat operator then to get a drivers license. And what we have to go through is NOTHING compared to a hunting outfitter or a freshwater guide LOL!

i was just reading transport canadas web page, and they were saying pleasure craft under 15 gross tons dont need to be registerd, just licensend, are they just talking about your boating license to operate a pleasure craft, or does the boat need a license, maybe i am not awake yet but has me confused, i know i will go out and take off the old numbers off the boat(half are missing anyways)the previous owner didnt have it registered so i dont have any papers for the thing
tks doh

on a side note, i just want to say tks for all the info on here, had my boat out first time on friday and everything i have done to it works great, LC i followed your idea with the downrigger wiring (switch) works really well

The RCMP inspection thing got a little out of hand in our area last year. I was inspected SEVEN times in a four month period [}:)] I finally created a little book of my inspection slips and started handing the book to them when they pulled me over asking them to just "add it to the book", I think they got the message. When I have paying clients on the boat I don't want to be wasting half an hour as we work through their bloody check list. A few times okay but let's keep it reasonable.

When I pointed to my annual TC inspection sticker and inquired why that would not give me an auto pass the response was that some outfits with multiple boats had been caught moving flares and gear between boats to pass the inspections.... The idiocy of a few hurting the majority.

I'm not so sure I agree with the Small Vessel Program as it stands. The cost of getting a boat to comply to the construction standards can be pretty damn high which is pushing all the "part-time" retires out of business. When brand new factory finished boats can't pass the TC standards you have to start asking some questions on where they have set the bar... The inconcistencies are also VERY frustrating as well as the year to year changes as they try to figure it out themselves. The first year of the program the only boat that could pass was a boat that would "self right and float level to the gunnels" which pretty much limited it to hard hulled zodiacs. The local inspectors refused to certify any boats and they had to fly managers out from back east to do the certifications. Nice program....

The SVMIP program has knocked the majority of the charter boats out of business in our area while Land Tenure has wiped out almost all our inland guides. Tenure is a pure and simple cash grab with all the revenues going into general revenues as opposed to any type of local conservation efforts. Only larger companies have the time and resources to work through the tenure red tape mess.

Marine Parks permits are another "wonderful" system.....NOT. I'd much rather see a standard marine park user fee with daily, weekly or yearly medalions like in a lot of other countries with the fees staying with local park conservation efforts. I'd be happy to collect the individual user park fees and remitt them as opposed to paying $1K per park up front when I might visit five parks in a four hour boat tour.

The provincial government is running around stateing that tourism is "critical" to the economic development of the province and has boffo bucks to invest but every project they invest in seems to benefit the major investment properties while all their operating policies are wipeing out small businesses left, right and center. And hey while we're at it let's privatize the ferries and make it more expensive to get customers to our businesses as well #@$%^$#@!!!

Off to fill out my first quarter PST, GST and Hotel Tax forms and mail them to three DIFFERENT government addresses now.... thanks again for making small business so easy #@$%^$%#@!!!!

Off to go sit quietly in a corner and let the blood pressure come down.....

Dohboy,

As of April 2006 ALL pleasure craft under 12m or 15 gross tonnes require a licence which is administered by Service Canada on behalf of Transport Canada. The licence identifier must be displayed in block letters of a certain side on both sides of your bow. Those boats with existing licences can keep those identifiers as the old identifier will simply be added into the new TC database. If you buy a used boat with an existing licence you use the bill of sale to transfer the licence into your name via Service Canada. Registering a boat is not something you want to do unless you have to from a $$$ perpective. It is usually only mandatory on larger vessels (over 12m).

This is NOT the same thing as the Pleasure Craft Opererator Card required to actually use your licenced boat.

thks sir, i finally found just before i read your post, i had tried every govt site i could think of till finally on one page tucked away in a corner it said that licensing is now done by service canada, uggghhhh took me at least 45 mins and 6 web sites to get there, i did not get a bill of sale with my boat , just a back yard deal and he had never registered it either so i dont know if the bill of sale would have helped, i still have enough left of the letters to reconize the old registered #, can i use them without a bill of sale, this is a pain in the butt to say the least

I doubt the boat was ever "registered", it was probably licenced under the old pleasure craft licencing system.

If the boat has a Hull Identification Number placard you are likely going to have to come up with a bill of sale (one way or another) and transfer the old licence number to your name.

If there is no HIN I'd just request one of the new licence numbers as if the boat was previously unlicenced. You couldn't really read those letters after all, right?

sir i think your right the rain over the winter washed em away, it has no hull ID , no coast guard placard on it, i should be able to come up with a bill of sale, so what i just head down to service canada and fill out a form??

Back