Unknown species to me

G

greeneagle5

Hi, I was recently fishing Erie lake in the West Kootenays where bass were illegally introduced. I caught a fish that looked kind of like a bass but was flat like a sunfish and had noticeable dime sized red spots on its cheeks could anyone help me identify this species

thanks

This was probably a Pumpkinseed sunfish. Length to 8 inches. Colour greenish or
bluish-olive above, sides spotted with orange. Cheeks orange with wavy blue streaks
and a bright scarlet spot on lower edge of gill cover lobe. Belly yellowish-orange
Upper fins bluish with orange spots; lower fins orange. This description is taken from the B.C. Provincial Museum Handbook No. 5 "The Freshwater Fishes of British Columbia".
Printed in 1959.

quote:Originally posted by Silver Streak

This was probably a Pumpkinseed sunfish. Length to 8 inches. Colour greenish or
bluish-olive above, sides spotted with orange. Cheeks orange with wavy blue streaks
and a bright scarlet spot on lower edge of gill cover lobe. Belly yellowish-orange
Upper fins bluish with orange spots; lower fins orange. This description is taken from the B.C. Provincial Museum Handbook No. 5 "The Freshwater Fishes of British Columbia".
Printed in 1959.

I looked up that species and that's exactly what it was too cool. Thanks for the post Silver Streak

I caught one in Prospect some 18 years ago that I would swear would have been some sort of record. I have caught thousands of these fish having been raised in Ontario and all. Nothing like this beast. The world record is said to be 1.4lbs. I have heard of another in California that tipped the scales at 2.4 lbs. Mine ( released ) was easily between those numbers. and was about 15" long and 8" tall. Amazing

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

They are delicious, but boney.

Hey T- man, I was going to e-mail you about a trip I rescently did to the river. Thought you may be interested. E-mail me if you are up to it.

Back