Ucluelet / Tofino Info.

walleyes

Crew Member
Hey guys,, just starting to plan the summer trip for this coming summer. I am looking at heading out to Ucluelet / Tofino this year.. So I have just a few questions I hope some may be able to help me with.

First off when would be about the best time for the area,, first or second week of August ?? second does anyone know of a place a guy could rent a cabin/ house that would have a dock close to town for momma. Doesn't have to be fancy just comfortable for 3 - 4 people. I have done the Google thing and have found a couple places that interest me but just thought maybe there is a place not listed that some may know of..I bring my own boat out so don't need a charter but any help in some of the local hot spots for Chinook would be very much appreciated.. Also and I know this is getting carried away but if anyone has a bottom fish hole a guy could check out that would be really awesome..

Thx in advance for the help..

Hey Walleyes,

Glad to help you with some info. Are you able to fish offshore with the size of your vessel, as it may effect your access to Chinook fishing if you are focused on August for sure.
July can be a great month for Chinook Coho and Halibut if an option, and not as effected by time and area regulations for Chinook.

I don't know of any Cabins with docks for rent, but their is a private waterfront Condo in Tofino that overlooks the harbour and moorage. Walk is 5 minutes to downtown if you go slow...
You might want to look at www.eiklanding.com for details on this one. There are also numerous private guesthouse facilities to choose from, with the fully contained aspect suitable for anglers. Our guesthouse is set up for anglers and may have space depending on your dates and duration. See ClayoquotVista.com if you think this is work checking out.

If you do fish the Tofino area, we'd be glad to help you with more specifics on fishing details and general locations, just stop in at our Fly & Tackle shop on the main street. I can hit Eik Landing with a rock from the deck of our shop, just to give you an idea on how close things are...

I would imagine someone from Ucluelet will chime in to help with options as well.

Call or fire me an e-mail if I can help further.

J.

Thx tofinofish for the help.. I will give you a shout over the next few days.. I beleive you are the fellows that have the shop and buis for sale no ??? looks like a nice operation.. To bad its not about 4 or 5 years from now we would be talking about a purchase.. Not quite ready for it yet..

I run a 20' boat its a 2000, Lund Fisherman. Quite a deep solid boat. I have GPS / Sonars its rigged for the coast. I am not to worried about hitting the outside a guy just has to watch the weather and head in if it gets breezy. Just have to be smart about it.. I have been fishing the coast since childhood so am not exactly a green horn at it.. Always lots to learn but still have a good background on it.

Like I said I will give you a shout over the next few days and get some more details..

Thx for the help it means a lot..

Absolutley no problem Walleyes,

Call me toll free 1-888-534-7422 will come through to my cell which is always on. The only time during the day that you might not catch me is when I'm on the ice or behind the bench with my son's hockey team.
Sounds like you have the right approach to fishing here with the size of your vessel and experience. Fog in August = Fogust so your electronics will be more than useful.
-Look forward to hearing from you.

Walleyes you can't go wrong with Jay's outfit. Definitely one of the most respected and professional operations in town!

We can both help him out JT. He is bringing his own boat so will need a little guidance. I know of Walleyes from another forum and is a straight shooter.

Jay

Thx for the help boys.. Last night I booked in at Eik Landing for a week starting Aug 1st leaving on the 8th. Also got my 2 brothers and their families checked in as well.. See,, just a little help and here comes a few grand Tofino's way,,, thx guys..

Just a quick question guys.. I have never fished the outside around these grounds so a couple questions..

First how far can a guy expect to run out to the highway on the outside until you get into the fish.. Also if it is rough are there a few spots in the sound that a guy can get into some fish if it is rough outside..

Looking forward to meeting you Jay,, I will note that I am in need of a couple bottom fishing rods and 1 reel so have a nice set lined up for me please.. Just a hint,, I don't like fence posts for rods...

Again thx for the info..

Last edited by a moderator:
Walleyes,

Thanks for your Halibut help on the other board....
Glad you got set up at Eik, you will be able to see the boat from your condo if you are at 4th street dock. My shop is 75 yds away as well.
Running offshore for August fish is average 8-12 miles for best action, but can be closer. Inside doesn't provide any Chinook retention during this time, but Coho are an option for 2 per person/day if you choose to keep them. There will likely be Pinks offshore everywhere.
Just had a very good report on Coho that I will expand on in another thread...

I'll have ample stock on the Bottomfishing rods / gear (light to medium is common) and will come with some directions,,,,,

Talk to you soon,

Jay

Back