tyee hunting

inlander

as the name suggests, I am from the flats of the prairies. Have had the priviledge of fishing the Charlottes for a few years now. Started power mooching with cutplug herring, and have graduated to vessels with downriggers. My bro and I are DIY people and have never had a guide, but are seeking advice.

1. Stacking Downriggers. Does it matter which line you run longer? Top or bottom. Separation bt. lines?

2. Have bought some spoons and plugs to try. Have read on the site that for really big springs, maybe cutplug herring is best. Any thoughts?

3. Any input about flashers/dodgers.

4. Hootchies. Are they used up there with success?

Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have spent the last 3hrs reading the forum, great info. Thanx

Like C.A. says bro,, catching Salmon depends on a wide variety of things. Its hard to say in as few words as a person feels like posting on here..

I know where you are coming from,, you would like to load up on some info, but I will tell you it takes time..

The thing is with Salmon, each species have their own technique and time and place.. All you have to do is decide what it is you want target, when can you go and then where are they at that time of year. Then you can work on what they are hitting on.. That is really the only way to start to work on them.. That's not to say that there aren't some standards to start on but it can be a tough life of washing hooks if the little things aren't looked after..

I hesitate to respond to all of your queries with respect to all on this site but will address your #2 and then generalize.

You put #2 forward as a plan to get BIG salmon , in my 50 plus years of fishing I have caught and seen caught tyee on all manner of lures and bait, having said that the only common factor I have found is that presentation , speed , tide set and time of day are the biggest non material factors to consider.
Can you define this in a one line reply to a post .............NO
You will be required to put time in on the water alongside the rest of us and as you progress ask the questions that pertain to the end result you seek , as you go along then we can as a group respond in a manner to help you .
Immediate success in fishing and catching BIG salmon wont come by just one factor or another , you can be the best fisherman in the world but if the fish are not there you won't catch anything.

AL

sorry for the lack of info. We have fished the north end of QCI out of Naden Harbour. We fish Springs, Coho and Halis, but the springs are the main target. Boat is a 22 ft aluminum, not sure of the make, wharever the lodge provides. This Year we are going the 2nd week of July. My main concern is about stacking downriggers. Last year we ran single lines on the dr's,with good success, and would like to expand on that. What I've read so far is that you run then at different lengths, but does it matter which one you run longer. I don't want to be wasting a lot of time untangling gear. Any info is appreciated and thnx for the response.
quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

Man oh man!!!! where to start? Where are you fishing? WHAT are you fishing? What kind of boat? What time of year? It all makes a difference... 'splane please.

Sorry Al, didn't mean to disrespect anybody, just lookin for info. I realize now my questions were vague, so i'll try to clarify. I replied to CA specifically about downriggers,so I'll get some clarity on #2. I like to mix things up, trying different things. But from what I've read, Tyee size chinook can be spooky to unatural things in the water. We have caught 10 or so 20+ lbrs and have got 2 just over 30 lbs all with cutplug herring. I am worried that going to plugs or spoons would be going in the wrong direction. Am i worrying about nothing.
quote:Originally posted by alley cat

I hesitate to respond to all of your queries with respect to all on this site but will address your #2 and then generalize.

You put #2 forward as a plan to get BIG salmon , in my 50 plus years of fishing I have caught and seen caught tyee on all manner of lures and bait, having said that the only common factor I have found is that presentation , speed , tide set and time of day are the biggest non material factors to consider.
Can you define this in a one line reply to a post .............NO
You will be required to put time in on the water alongside the rest of us and as you progress ask the questions that pertain to the end result you seek , as you go along then we can as a group respond in a manner to help you .
Immediate success in fishing and catching BIG salmon wont come by just one factor or another , you can be the best fisherman in the world but if the fish are not there you won't catch anything.

AL

When I stack the riggers I run them the same length and don't have any problems. I spread them out vertically by 20 feet at a minimum.

Also, if it were me, I'd take advantage of the bait provided at the lodge. Nothing beats the real thing. I would suggest taking some teaser heads for whole herring or anchovy off the downrigger.

Highliner

Getting the biggest ones to hit is just more luck than anything. Unfortunately, we don't have the power to convince just tyees to strike.

I'm no expert, far from it, but I've done some stacking downriggers.

Complication #1: From a beginner perspective, there's a trade-off between having more gear in the water (more chances of a bite) with having more gear to deal with when you get a bite (more chances of losing fish). When you get a bite, it can be chaos getting the gear out of the water, and that can cause lost fish.

Complication #2: The next complication is in keeping your gear in the water in good shape. Because setting up the stacked lines is one notch more hassle, it becomes a hassle to check bait, ensure not fouled with weeds, etc....and that's dangerous, because if your lure's no good, you're not fishing, just dragging hardware.

Complication #3: tangling lines is a reality, especially on sharp turns, in currents, or in crowded areas where you can't always take the track you want to or need to. So, any time spent untangling gear is time again you're not fishing.

All in all, my rule is I only stack lines when the fishing is SLOW, up your chances of a bite, OR when fishing coho or pinks or sockeye, where more gear in the water can be a help (and who doesn't want a triple or quadruple header now and then? :D

A few things I've come across for stacking:

-- I believe a key is to have the rods/lines on either side of the cable, to avoid tangling, at least that seems to work for me

-- lines have to be far enough apart that the big arcs caused by flashers won't tangle into each other

-- if you use finned weights curved outward, it pushes the cable out from the boat, keeping gear farther away from each other

-- when you need to replace gear on bottom line, take off top clip and attach to your cleat, saves having to reset both lines

Good luck up there!

You can stack your riggers but why? I fish 70+ day's through the summer and I almost never stack the rigger.
The real truth behind hunting giants anywhere is preperation, type of presentation of gear and most of all area and timing...
Some places just won't get the volume of tyee's coming through for you to beat all the other boats to...
Let's face it...the charlottes are crazy busy and you have to get up earlier,out smart the competition and sprend longer day's on the water to really have a shot...
There's alot of gallons of water between fish out there so if you put in your time and perfect what your trying to do...it will come.
Oh yes, there is the luck facture as well...a little luck goes a long way...
I've fished all over and I find reasearching the times and areas most larger fish apppear greatly increasses your chances...

quote:Originally posted by inlander

as the name suggests, I am from the flats of the prairies. Have had the priviledge of fishing the Charlottes for a few years now. Started power mooching with cutplug herring, and have graduated to vessels with downriggers. My bro and I are DIY people and have never had a guide, but are seeking advice.

1. Stacking Downriggers. Does it matter which line you run longer? Top or bottom. Separation bt. lines?

2. Have bought some spoons and plugs to try. Have read on the site that for really big springs, maybe cutplug herring is best. Any thoughts?

3. Any input about flashers/dodgers.

4. Hootchies. Are they used up there with success?

Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have spent the last 3hrs reading the forum, great info. Thanx

OK, I guess I might as well throw my 2 cents worth in here... :D

1. Not real sure about this one, but I tend to run my top lines longer to get the gear past the line arcing down to the bottom clip. Less likely to tangle if it is only line to line and not flasher/hook to line. I put my bottom lines out the side in the downrigger arm rod holders, and the top lines I put straight out the stern just slightly off the center. This helps to keep the lines apart - most days. :( Seperation depends on what I am running for gear. If flashers are involved, I put more space between them where possible. If I am fishing deep water off-shore (100' - 300') then what I like to do is seperate the lines on each side by 20'.

I will run one rigger at 100' which sets my top line at 80' - the other downrigger will be set up the same way, but put at either 110' or 90' depending on if I want to be deeper or shallower. This way, I have a spread of gear in a 40' stack that is 10' apart in depth. If you really want to get fancy, put a false-flasher on the bottom and move everything up about 5' - This works good for Sockeye.

The big question about running stacked downriggers is why and when. I have been in situations where having one downrigger and line was more than enough to handle. Where I fish in Tahsis, in-shore fishing is shallow, less than 50' mostly less than 40' I run two lines, one off of each rigger land sometimes will run a center surface line if Coho are around. Unless you have a well trained crew to handle getting rods and downriggers out of the way, stick with one line per rigger. If fishing is real slow, such as pre-season scouting trips where you know the Salmon will show up "any day now", then that is a good time to run 2 lines from each rigger.

2. I like running plugs and spoons. We all have our favorites that we depend on. Tomic 602, 500 and many others work well in most places - check the Tomic website for more details. http://www.tomiclures.com/ Try getting a solid gold spoon - they are worth a few bucks more, but work really well for me. Check my website for a photo of the spoon: www.JimsFishing.com

3. Plastic HotSpot style Flashers are a must for summer fishing. I like the ones with lots of flash tape on them. Stick with shades of green. I don't know anyone who is still using Dodgers.

4. Hoochies work well at times. Check with local tackle shops where you fish for popular colors and patterns. I'm afraid that I'm not good at remembering color numbers, I just know which ones work for me and occasionally I buy a new color based on the tackle shop reccomendation. Nice thing about a Flasher/Hoochy combo is that you can throw it in the water quickly and get it fishing. No need to play with bait for 5 minutes to get it hooked up and working right.

Tie your hoochies yourself. Use 60# Triplefish mono line (availabe in 100 yard coils). Use the big single hooks that the commercial guys use, along with a swivel at the hook and at the line end, and you will be in great shape.

Well, that should be enough to get you started. Good luck with your fishing trip to BC! [8D]

Some great advice offered, so I'll weigh in with a few more bits.

First, I always run a dummy flasher off my rigger ball. Usually it is a cone zone style on a short leader. I then stack my first line about 3 feet up. The idea behind the short dummy flasher is to draw them in for a look.

If you are fishing chinook then stack em at 20 feet, but for sockeye the closer you can stack them the better....BUT, you have to shorten down the distance you run the flasher behind the wire or else.

The other point that was made and worth reinforcing is if the fishing is good, never run more than one line per down rigger or you will have more trouble than it is worth. Ever tried landing 4 Chinook at the same time and you will know what I mean.

The other thing is if you are running bait you really can't effectively work the lines with more than one per rigger. I always check my bait for action every 15 minutes at the max. Bait is NO GOOD unless it is working properly and even the slightest take from a fish (one you can't see) will disturb the action and you are wasting time.

I especially pay attention when the bite is on simply because you can't afford to be dragging crappy bait when it really matters. Too many guys get lazy and don't work their gear with predictable results.

Same is true for tomic plugs, especially in low light. Get em up, flash em up and get em down. That means they are up and down every 10 to 15 minutes for a re-charge...just alternate sides so you are always fishing.

If you are more of a DIY guy, then be prepared to spend a lot of time perfecting your art. If you want a head start then hire a guide for a day and watch him very closely and ask a lot of questions - especially if you are new to an area. One day with a local guide can save countless hours of frustration....cheap learning really.

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

Frankly-- in the Charlottes I wouldnt bother stacking. Cutplug or if you want to use the downriggers, one rod on eack side. The fishing is usually so good that running extra lines can just be a pain.

My .25

HUGE x2

There's a learning curve to stacking. IMO also, you're best off just fishing 2 baits. The fishing up there is usually GRAND and because of time restrictions of the 'holiday', NOT worth venturing into the learning curve.

Fishing stacks is done when scratching for fish... If the lodge is open, the fish are likely already there. Seek knowledge from them (lodge), as too where to go and bait suggestions....

As for BIG Springs; fish the EARLY sun rise in areas that hold kelp, and be patient,,, you won't be targeting schools of fish but rather, marauders.

I would focus on quality presentation not quantity of lines and stacking downriggers in the Charlottes. Learn everything you can about bait and presentation. Keep your bait firm (brine), keep it bright with scales, sharp hooks, develop a good spin, try teasers and cutplug. I would probably bring herring and anchovies. Fish with and without flashers. If fish are spooky long leaders and lighter line. Work a producing area hard instead of running around. Pay attention to troll speed, on the north coast slow in close seems the way to go. Some good comments on salmon university website. Hootchies and spoons are used up there and can be productive, not as consistent as bait though.

hmmmm..... anyone want my 2 cents?

If your target is large "Springs", I would never stack lines! Remember your using barbless hooks now days.

I usually do the following:

One person... one downrigger... one line.
When fishing by myself, I never use more than one downrigger and one line! Hard enough to net it buy yourself, let alone worry about another line in the water, which usually will get a hit!

two people... two downriggers... one line each. Center line for coho, if NOT fishing for five year olds!

three people... two downriggers... one line each (ideal)! Probably run a line down the center line for coho. Again, unless my target is large springs!

four people... three downriggers... one line each, with one down center line. No center line for coho! Or... two downriggers... one line each, with center line for coho!

five plus people and more lines then this... you need to get a very large boat! Get ready to cut lines! OR... be Tuna fishing! With a crew that knows what they are doing!

If going after large "springs", you need to find and fish the area they are in. Listen to the Locals... and remember... presentation... presentation... presentation!!!

The 600,000 plus Chinook bound for the US this year, running down the coast of BC should bring good results and lots of large fish offshore. These estimates mean more fish will make it into all the rivers down the entire West Coast. The best fishing should be along the Continental Shelf where most southern bound Chinook should be before crossing over to the American side. But the majority of the large ones headed for the US should be farther out. The offshore Columbia fishing should be your best bet, unless you are familiar with the local runs! I still plan on stopping at my favorite place and see if I can pick up one of the Conuma Springs! This being by favorite!

BTW... The local guides are worth their weight in gold and I do suggest hiring one if you really wish to target large springs! If you get a good guide they will know when, where, and how! And, advise you accordingly and increase your chances of landing that "Record Tyee" everyone dreams of about ten fold! A half day of guiding in the morning would well be worth the cost! :)

Charlie

quote:Originally posted by drad2k4

Getting the biggest ones to hit is just more luck than anything. Unfortunately, we don't have the power to convince just tyees to strike.

Sounds to me it might be worth your while to set up a day of fishing with the "Sushihunter". I think he could prove that statement to be wrong! Bet he can set you up with a date, with a "tyee"!

Charlie :D

Back