Trim Help Please

Might be the switch at the control.

Do me a favor test the wire for power. The blue 16 guage wire at the relays. Test that for power when depressing the tilt switch at the control.

If you need to replace a relay, lordco and get a Bosch relay with 5 pins

Last edited:

Do me a favor test the wire for power. The blue 16 guage wire at the relays. Either that or switch relays.

If you need to replace a relay, lordco and get a Bosch relay with 5 pins.

Do me a favor test the wire for power. The blue 16 guage wire at the relays. Test that for power when depressing the tilt switch at the control.

If you need to replace a relay, lordco and get a Bosch relay with 5 pins
Thanks for the suggestion. I tested the blue wire at the relay and it had power. I also tested it while depressing the up button on the controls and it had power. Should I be removing the actual blue wire connector from the relay and testing it? Also this what the relay looks like for the up tilt relay and then there is one for the down(green).7E741361-8EFE-4551-9B9F-47428D4BF1F6.jpeg

Go to Crowley Marine..their online store. They have an extensive store of parts for all outboards. Looks like yours is about $20.00 US Here is the link to the part: https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/12504.cfm
So I took the lid off and tested the blue wire on the relay to see if it had power using a voltage meter. It indicated power. I also tested it while pressing the up tilt on the controls said it had power but no movement. Also the part you suggested from Crowley Marine, I don’t see that part near the up tilt relay. These are what my relays look like. 265DCCC7-70C2-4898-A052-338FB624238C.jpeg

thats a suzuki

they were selling those under the johnson name for a few years

Then you are looking for a solenoid for a 2004 140 Susuki...that is a solenoid not a relay. Call Susuki dealers for parts...price will likely be more than relay was.

Then you are looking for a solenoid for a 2004 140 Susuki...that is a solenoid not a relay. Call Susuki dealers for parts...price will likely be more than relay was.
Are you thinking it’s a solenoid issue even if there is power there? Cheers

It is all it can be,...your trim motor works, your control box switch works, you have power to the solenoid (a solenoid is just another type of contact switch) ..the power from that blue wire should cause the solenoid to click to complete the circuit to the trim motor....yours is stuck which is very common. Sometimes in an emergency you can get the solenoid to work ..remove it from the motor...beat on it to get it unstuck and get a few more uses from it before it sticks again...but not always.

It is all it can be,...your trim motor works, your control box switch works, you have power to the solenoid (a solenoid is just another type of contact switch) ..the power from that blue wire should cause the solenoid to click to complete the circuit to the trim motor....yours is stuck which is very common. Sometimes in an emergency you can get the solenoid to work ..remove it from the motor...beat on it to get it unstuck and get a few more uses from it before it sticks again...but not always.
Ok so when I switch the solenoid wires blue with green. When I hit down on my controls the motor goes up (blue wire on green solenoid) but when I hit up on the controls the motor doesn’t go down. Now when I go to the tilt button on the actual motor when I hit down the motor goes up and when I hit up it goes down since I switched the wires at the solenoid. In this case would it not be the up switch on the controls or do you believe it’s the actual up solenoid. It’s just such a job to get to that control switch to see if there is a loose wire. And if it’s a solenoid would I then be looking under Suzuki. My apologies for so many questions. I feel we are getting close.

You are not feeding us all the info at once so we can make educated suggestions. With that bit of info it could be that the control box switch on the up side is the problem. The up solenoid is working with the engine cowl switch. Afraid you are now taking the control box apart. The switch is likely a Susuki part....may even be Yamaha too as many of those parts are sourced from same place...your solenoids look exactly the same as mine on my 1997 200 Yami 2 stroke.

Pretty sure that solenoid is almost identical to the ones yamaha uses

The difference will be the input wires and how they are terminated .

I'm confused as he'll here. I also don't have the time to re read this. Sounded like the switch to me.

You are not feeding us all the info at once so we can make educated suggestions. With that bit of info it could be that the control box switch on the up side is the problem. The up solenoid is working with the engine cowl switch. Afraid you are now taking the control box apart. The switch is likely a Susuki part....may even be Yamaha too as many of those parts are sourced from same place...your solenoids look exactly the same as mine on my 1997 200 Yami 2 stroke.
Thanks for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this. Have a great rest of your day.

Back