travel gear?

lenardobc

am heading down to mexico, and would like to take a small spinning combo for my early morning surf fishing, has anyone got any recommendations for a quality setup? i also will be taking a charter out of playa del carmen. but would like to have some fun in the mornings whilst the wife is sleeping off the tequila!! thanks len.

That can be a real blast. I did some shore fishing in Puerto Vallarta years ago. I would recommend a fairly heavy duty spinning outfit because you can hook into some pretty powerful fish. I'd probably go with 30lb line and a BIG spinning reel. Live bait works great if you can snag some along the shore. You can use a bobber with live bait. If there's no bait, try some salmon spinning gear like 60g to 90g metal lures (all styles from buzz bombs to stingzildas). Rapalas can work too. EARLy mornings are the best I found. Just follow the diving birds along the shore to locate the big schools of fish. Cast into them and hang on!! A quick retreive works best. These fish are fast and powerful (amber jacks, rooster fish, sierra etc).

thanks yammy, heading down on sat for a week, want to shore fish early am's and get at least one charter will be in playa del carmen. i thought i would be ok with my pike gear from my alberta days, but it sounds like i will need bigger. cheers. len

I use a large spinning reel and a long telescoping rod that just fits in a large suitcase. its loaded with 20lb test and I bring an extra spool of line. I use fresh shrimp fished off the bottom or lead head jigs with mr. twister type plastic tails and a fast retrieve. Found this more fun than the charters.

Hey Lenardo...make sure you let us know how you do.
Good luck and a safe trip

Getbent

thanks guys i will get some pics for sure, ended up going downtown and spending acouple hundred, so i should be setup.. not much selection for what i wanted to do, and that will fit in the luggage. but it'l work.. thanks for the tips, talk to ya in 10 days or so.. unless i end up in a mexican jail........ never know. cheers len.

Back