Trailering to Ucluelet

F

fishchaser

It has been 6 years since I towed my boat to Ucluelet which at the time was 23 feet. I have recently upgraded to 31 foot trophy with 10 foot beam and wondering if I should trailer or launch in Port Alberni and motor there. I will be towing with a F350 Dually and the trailer is a triple axle with brakes.

i will give only an opinion, if your going to do it ,and i have seen many your size before, try to do it early in the morning to give yourself clear roads, the tofino crowd doesnt wake up usually before midday. The road is in great shape

Don't forget your overwidth permit.
I believe you can get it at any weigh station with a scale and staff.
Don't get stopped without a permit. The fine can ruin your day.

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

The road is in pretty good shape. Closed down from around July 5 forward from midnight to 5 am for bridge work.

Let us know when you'll be going. I'd kinda like to plan to hit the road an hour before that large rig does! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Must be a 2802? That would put your boat beam at 9’9”, plus trailer? I believe if it goes over 10' you will be required to have signage.

Have you thought of just running up, it really isn't that bad depending on weather. It's about 110 nm, 4-5 hours from Oakbay. A lot nicer than setting in a line at the ferry! :)

And yes, you might want to check, unless things have changed the maximum width for BC and WA is 8’6” without permits? If I were to tow my boat through the border, I assure there will be a requirement for a 'wide load’ permit for both WA and BC. I'd be checking on extra charges for the ferry, also?

Hey Ironnoggin,
Do you have a link for the road closures? I've heard plenty of rumours but can't find anything official. If it is the case, going to make the 3am runs from nanaimo to the boat in uki kinda difficult.
Thanks
TBD

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

Do you have a link for the road closures?

Couldn't find anything online. But there is one of those large trailered roadside signs up at both ends of the road. Didn't pay too much attention unfortunately, simply noted it would be closed those hours, but didn't memorize the date range...

Hopefully someone who makes the run shortly will see it and advise...

Cheers,
nog - Always running to Ukee the night before...

quote:Originally posted by ratherbefishing

Do you have a link for the road closures?

Couldn't find anything online. But there is one of those large trailered roadside signs up at both ends of the road. Didn't pay too much attention unfortunately, simply noted it would be closed those hours, but didn't memorize the date range...

Hopefully someone who makes the run shortly will see it and advise...

Cheers,
nog - Always running to Ukee the night before...

Drivebc has some info you can call too

http://drivebc.com/

call the tofino radio station, they have updated closures, i just made it by one minute the last time i went, otherwise its sleeping for 7 hours in a construction zone

call the tofino radio station, they have updated closures, i just made it by one minute the last time i went, otherwise its sleeping for 7 hours in a construction zone

Thanks gents,
All I could find on the drive BC website was a notification of closure on July 7 from midnight to 5am (I would assume as they transition to a temp bridge or something of that nature). My GUESS is that they will be announcing closures as they are required. I have a hard time believing the road will be closed each and every night. That said, I'd keep an eye on the website heed others advise and call if you are planning on making the trip.
Cheers
RBF

http://drivebc.com/details.jsp?eventId=-21824&district=Vancouver%20Island|Vancouver%20Island

Thanks gents,
All I could find on the drive BC website was a notification of closure on July 7 from midnight to 5am (I would assume as they transition to a temp bridge or something of that nature). My GUESS is that they will be announcing closures as they are required. I have a hard time believing the road will be closed each and every night. That said, I'd keep an eye on the website heed others advise and call if you are planning on making the trip.
Cheers
RBF

http://drivebc.com/details.jsp?eventId=-21824&district=Vancouver%20Island|Vancouver%20Island

If anyone is worried about the closures contact Windley Contracing Ltd. as they are the contractor awarded the work on the 2 bridges out on the highway. One is out right now and single lane traffic signs are out but it is hair raising to say the least. The next bridge looks like it will be done after the first is complete.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

Why would they do this at the height of the tourist season? ...BB
The next closure is July 7th Midnite to 5 AM. Seriously, do you expect them to do it during the winter? [:eek:)]

Thank you all for your information. I am towing a new 2902 and will be fishing for 5 weeks starting July 16th. I did check on the wide load permit and need them for both Wa and BC, good call.

Back