Trailer Tune -up

spring fever

That time of year-Just finished pulling and checking all the bearings, brakes, springs on my dual axle trailer. Went 6000km this year. So what did I find. Bearings were all good, surface the rear seal rides on is still perfect (stainless sleeves) cleaned and refaced the hubs. 1 adjuster totally seized-made a tool to take it off easily and re-install new one. All adjusters anti-seized.
1 set of shoes-gone (who knew)- new backing plate installed-bleed brakes -all new brake fluid flushed thru. Springs and shackles are showing their age (11 seasons)- end of next year probably time to do them. Shoes and hubs look to have 2 years left-at which point I'll switch to a set of Kodiak disc brakes. That is a good switch point because I'll need 4 backing plates and probably could use new hubs.
Tires are down to the wear bars- New tires this spring or whenever they come on sale!! Checked all rollers, winches straps etc.

Aside from the tires this is a pretty good year trailer-wise-I do this every fall. I believe it keeps me trouble free and rolling thru out the season.
Just thought I would share a little trailer maintenance with all of you in the hopes I see fewer guys at the side of the road next summer. Not an exhaustive list-I'm sure you could add more!!

Good job, SF. You will also have to get a new actuator when you make the switch to disc brakes which will add to the cost. Seriously consider one with the automatic lockout. Worthwhile, though - fewer moving parts and much easier to wash down the moving parts after they've been in salt water.

Good job, SF. You will also have to get a new actuator when you make the switch to disc brakes which will add to the cost. Seriously consider one with the automatic lockout. Worthwhile, though - fewer moving parts and much easier to wash down the moving parts after they've been in salt water.
The actuator I have is a titan II with the reducer for drum (1500 psi to 750 psi) -so my actuator is fine. No lock-out required as these are not surge brakes and I believe it is only surge brakes have a lock-out. May be wrong on that but I don't do anything with my drums right now. Too bad my wife can't see The good Common Sense you guys do In discs LOL

switching to disc brakes may eliminate the need for backing plates
It does-the backing plate is what the shoes and actuator are attached to. The hub goes over top of that and is attached to the spindle by way of 2 bearings inside races and the spindle washer, Castellated nut and Cotter Pin.

Not sure of the size of tires you might be looking for but I believe that Princess auto has 14" trailer tires on galvanized rims on sale for $139 about a$100 off I think.

Not sure of the size of tires you might be looking for but I believe that Princess auto has 14" trailer tires on galvanized rims on sale for $139 about a$100 off I think.
St 225/75R15-at least 8 ply is what I'm looking for-rated for 2540 lbs a tire-pretty high end tire.-No hurry-she's up on blocks until April.

Back