Trailer tongue weight

T

tortuga

Does anyone have a way to figure out suggested tongue weight on a tow hitch.
I've read anywhere between 5 and 15% of total load weight but there seems to be varying opinions.

And what about single vs. tandem axels?

I try to go on the heavy side, single or tande, 15% works pretty good, if the tow vehicle will take it ill go to 20%...I find the trailer tracks way better and you don't have that ossilating bouncing over bumps, and that clunk,clunk of the toung pulling up on the hitch

tongue light can get very dangerous in a hurry, in some extreme cases (buddies wife LOL) it will lift the tow vehicles rear wheels off the ground and shoot you into a ditch!!

i always thought 200-400 lbs,, but maybe it is a %??

When you are traveling fast like 100km and higher and your trailer is swaying around side to side your tongue weight is to low. I have 280lbs on my tongue with around a 5500lbs boat and trailer, I think i need another 50lbs on the tongue

I'm with ComfortZone on this I like a lot of tongue weight. You can have to much tongue weight, you just have to balance it. To much in a small vehicle and it starts to effect the steering in the sense your lifting the front off the ground. I Pull about 8000lbs and have about 1500lbs of tongue weight thats about 18-19%. The trailer is tandem axle and tracks straight and true. I also think that hitch height makes a difference when you have a tandem axle trailer. The trailer should sit totally level when all pinned up. I don't know how many times I see guys with the hitch way up in the air and the front tires of the trailer almost not touching the ground.
I found this to help people figure out there tongue weight

Commercial Scale
Another way to determine your trailer's tongue weight (and get your vehicle and trailer weights) is to take the trailer with your tow vehicle to a scale at a truck stop, quarry or material supply centre. For a small fee, you can weigh your tow vehicle and trailer there.

A. Determine Weight of Vehicle with Tongue Weight

Your vehicle and trailer must be fully loaded and fueled just as they will be when you are leaving for a trip. First, drive on to the scale with all 4 wheels of the truck and record the weight of the truck with the trailer attached.

B. Determine Weight of Vehicle without Tongue Weight

Next, unhook the trailer and jack up the trailer tongue so there is no weight on the hitch ball. Make sure that the trailer jack is not on the scale. Record the weight of only the truck on the scale. This is your gross vehicle weight (GVW). Now, subtract the GVW from the weight of the truck with the trailer attached. This will give you the tongue weight of your trailer.
A - B = Tongue Weight

Determine Tongue Weight for Weight Distribution System

If you want to use a weight distribution system, remember to include the weight of any gear you might load behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle. You should add the weight of this gear to your tongue weight to select a weight distribution system of the proper size. To get the weight of the gear behind the rear axle, weigh your vehicle with this gear and without. Then subtract the weight without the gear from the weight with the gear. This difference is the weight of your gear. In the formula below, C represents the weight of your gear. A represents the weight of your tow vehicle including the tongue weight. B represents the weight of your tow vehicle without the tongue weight.

A good time to get this weight is when you are determining your tongue weight as described in step B, above. You can get the weight of your gear while you are weighing your tow vehicle.

Weight of Vehicle with Gear Behind Rear Axle - Weight of Vehicle without Gear Behind Rear Axle = C (Weight of Your Gear)

A - B + C = Tongue Weight for Weight Distribution System

Determine Additional Weights

Weight of Your Trailer
While you are at the scale you can also make sure that your towing setup is within the rated capacity of your tow vehicle. To do this, you need to get the weight of your trailer. To weigh your trailer, pull it with your tow vehicle onto the scale so you can weigh them together. This weight is your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCVW). You can get the weight of your trailer (Gross Trailer Weight - GTW) by subtracting the weight of your tow vehicle alone (GVW (Step B, above)) from the weight of your tow vehicle and trailer combined (GCVW). Then check your owner's manual or with your dealer to determine if the weight of your trailer is within the towing capacity of your tow vehicle.
GCVW - GVW = GTW

Back