Trailer Rentals or Boat Hauling in Victoria

TenMile

Hey all,

Having a look at stepping up to a 26' boat from our 19'. Today, I don't have a truck that can pull a 26' rig and don't know if I want to drop that much dosh. Not sure whether it's worth the $7500 outlay on a trailer that would only get used a few times per year.

Question to the group, does anyone know whether there is an outfit in Victoria that would either rent a trailer or can haul a boat from time to time? I was thinking that if we wanted to do a trip to Nootka that going by water from Victoria would be a long haul -- but renting a trailer or having the boat hauled might be worth it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Dons boat transport is a good boat mover givem a call and ask for Rick Jenkins.

quote:Nootka that going by water from Victoria would be a long haul

Not as far as you think, but you'd want some flexibility to deal with weather.

I ran my 21' from sooke to renfrew 3 times last summer and its cheaper on gas then if I drove up. Plus you can fish along the way and just cruising for long distances can be a great experience.

Yeah, really interested in finding out more about that trip. How long did it take -- did you fuel up along the way at Tofino?

guys I've only run from sooke to renfrew by water, although I'm thinking of a renfrew/bamfield/tofino cruise this summer.

You could easily get to Nootka in a day though, just break the trip in to chunks. Keep a solid eye on the weather, bring extra fuel and plan to overnight at one of the ports if the weather gets nasty.

Unless weather is a factor, driving to renfrew just doesn't make sense for my boat.

Thanks guys -- I had mis-read what he posted. Thought I read Renfrew to Nooka -- but see it was Sooke to Renfrew.

I run from Tacoma, Wa to Nootka every year! Nice ride... just take your time. It's a little less than 165nm from Oak Harbour to Nootka Island, depending on where your are going! I use 20 knots as an average speed when planning the trips. Sometimes it's alot faster... sometimes alot slower depending on weather and seas! Be ready to run early morning and in the fog... smoother ride! Afternoons are choppy. If it gets rough there are alot of coves and inlets to hide in and fish (all good fishing areas) till the weather clears. 10'-15' swells with 1'-2' chop is not uncommon in the afternoons.

Fuel either at Tofino or Uki. Fuel is cheaper!

I used to do it without radar, but in my older age I now would never consider it without! Never! You would be surprised how many boats are out there in the fog. Make sure you file a "float plan". Canadian Coastguard is the best when it comes to float plans.

Cool, thanks Charlie.

FWIW, I did call and found out that boat hauling is very expensive. It's about $1,500 each way.

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

Cool, thanks Charlie.

FWIW, I did call and found out that boat hauling is very expensive. It's about $1,500 each way.

Yep, it cost me $600CN to have a boat moved from Gold River to Campbell River a few years back!

My trip is about a 385 miles by land and costs about $550US to tow to Gold River. Then I still have to run another 50 miles by water, which is another $130 in fuel. Then you have the cost of parking for a week, so the total about $700, plus the additional time. I can run up faster than tow! It is about 320 statute miles by water (10-12 hours) and costs about $720US in fuel, so it has been costing about the same. And I save the time and troubles with a trailer and don't have to worry about timing the ferry. But as I tell my friends - my boat is better off going by water. It has a 10'4" beam and weighs approximately 14000/lbs, which requires the hassle of additional permits, so I meet the others up there! This year will probably not be the case with the price of fuel???? But as always I will have fish in the box before they arrive... and my boat is still better off going by water!

BTW... I do have a 15,000/lb Tri-axle trailer that I haven't used for two years! :)

Back