Trailer questions

janesway

Hi All,
couple questions about trailers here.

I'm looking for for a single or tandem axle trailer in the 3500-4500 lb range. I've found a nice one locally online, but its missing the rego. Its an older highliner with a VIN number etc. The Owner has started the official process of contacting ICBC to get it re registered, but there many steps to that process, and it sounds like its going to a while.
Can i buy it, and register it as a ubuilt?? the GVW is for sure less than 1400kg, its a single axle Highliner.

Second, what's everyone's thoughts on painted vs galvanized? anyone sprayed fluidfilm or similar inside frame rails of steel trailers?

finally, any one have a trailer they want to sell me??

Thanks!

Hi All,
couple questions about trailers here.

I'm looking for for a single or tandem axle trailer in the 3500-4500 lb range. I've found a nice one locally online, but its missing the rego. Its an older highliner with a VIN number etc. The Owner has started the official process of contacting ICBC to get it re registered, but there many steps to that process, and it sounds like its going to a while.
Can i buy it, and register it as a ubuilt?? the GVW is for sure less than 1400kg, its a single axle Highliner.

Second, what's everyone's thoughts on painted vs galvanized? anyone sprayed fluidfilm or similar inside frame rails of steel trailers?

finally, any one have a trailer they want to sell me??

Thanks!
Good Luck with finding something that isn't junk-I looked for 3 months and finally went to Bridge view marine and got a highliner for a reasonable?? price-no hassles with registration and its galvanized and new-and frankly not that much more expensive than used!!

There are several reasons to buy a used trailer, especially if the trip to the launch site is close by. If you are reasonably comfortable with doing your own maintenance, then they can be a good buy. But do realise that to be safe on the highway with a new to you trailer, you could easily end up with a lot of catch up maintenance. A brake overhaul, new bearings, maybe tyres, springs, wiring, winch. The list goes on. With a new trailer you get you want, with a warranty, so you should get a few years without worries. Anything other then galvanised, or aluminium trailers are soon to be rust hulks. Were I you, I would look at the potential cost of repairs and balance that against the cost of a new one. You may find that used trailers are not as economical as they would appear at first blush.

I was told buy insurance agent, It's easier for current owner to retrieve lost registration from ICBC
Than if you were to buy it and try to get it registered
If it has a license plate on it, The owner can take it in with them to get new registration papers, that would be the easiest way

The Unbuilt line doesn’t fly any more from my understanding. Lots of guys selling old boats claim you can but it’s BS I believe you need receipts for all the parts.
That's partially true, Definitely need receipts to show major amount of work done

Back