Tofino Reports

R

Riptide2

Anyone know how the fishing is up in Tofino?

Heading up in a week.

Still consistent fishing for Coho and Chinook. We had a couple crappy weather days that are a double edged sword at this time of the year....
The rain and low pressure will move more fish in on the rocks along the outer coastline, but it can also scatter the fish that have been slowly moving down the coast.

Gear and areas are varied the last couple days, with Raphael Pt (Hot Springs area) and Heisen Bank being the main areas.
55ft to 110ft with Spoons and medium Herring being best.

Check in with us at our Fly and Tackle shop for an update when you come out.

Jay

www.tofinofishing.com

Forgot to mention that the Tuna are 30 miles out on the average day right now. A few boats have gone out for some great action on Albacore 18-30 lbs hitting a variety of Clones and Zukers, no specific color preference.
If the weather permits, we'll be heading out in the morning and will provide an update with pics.
We've had some great opportunity to get out to the Tuna, but have not had the guests interest, as the Salmon action has kept their focus.....

Back Soon..

Jay

Thanks for that report Jay.

One question are you fishing in close or offshore at Raphael?

Tuna only 30 miles, that sounds interesting if that weather is good.

Definately will try and drop by your shop when I am there.

The Rapael fishery is normally 3-4 miles offshore. Some of the guys have been going a little further out on the tack when the bite slows, searching for Sardines ans other bait balls.
Just down the coast at Cleland Isl. is a good bet as well. Same depths as mentioned before.

Jay

Hey guys,

I have a small 14.5 foot boat. Do you think I can get far enough to catch some springs or halibut in Ukee of Tofino? Id like to hear if you have advice.

Secondly, how much would a charter be for 3 guys who would like to head out for Tuna. My bros and I would do that in a heart beat. No kidding. Tell us when, and we'll be there!

thanks,

We've taken my buddies 17 foot Boston Whaler offshore and it was dicey. I wouldn't leave Barkley or Clayoquat Sound in anything that small. Way to risky for my blood.

Thanks for the call about your small boat. It was wise to consult with us instead of just going for it....as many have done, not wise or safe if you don't know the area and how dangerous a playground it can be.

I'll keep you updated on Tuna. I Finally have a vessel free for tomorrow but the weather looks like it will not work for the long trip. We should have a month or more to go for it, so I'm waiting for a chance when we don't have all the boats booked.

I'm starting a list of Tuna interests, so if you want to e-mail me at jay@tofinofishing.com to put your name down, we'll see if we can get some of you out there. It will be a little more than the average day rate, but if we can connect, it is a blast.

Jay
www.tofinofishing.com

Hey Jay, wondering if you have any info on bucktailing for some Ho, we are heading up on wed.eve. till the 28th , or do you know of any cast fly action. thanks for the report!

Coho Action has been great, but the low pressure system for the last few days has scattered a lot of the fish.
Bucktailing the corner of Burgess Isl. and Catface is probably best, with casting the flood tide at Kutcous and Monk Rock.

A mix of sizes, with a few larger mature fish showing this week.

For the last two months it has been common to see 12-15 Coho per half day charter, but this week a little slower at 6-12 hook ups. Far better than last year at this time, when there was no water or Coho Salmon in Tofino. Two things that are normally abundant.

Jay

Another Coho update,

This A.M. was O.K. for inshore Coho, but this afternoon a new batch of Coho showed up, possibly local fish. Most in the 10 lb range and lots of them.....

Offshore Chinook Fishing was good today, with a good % of Tyee class.
The ocean is starting to glass over again, so maybe we'll get at those Tuna yet.

Jay

I am coming up to Tofino in early Sept. and was thinking about throwing a fly out for the Coho. What could I get away with as far as a rod goes. I have a 6-7 wt. 10footer with floating line. Do I need to get intermediate line? As far as leader is concerned I was considering just tying on 20 lb. mono. I will be fishing from my boat.

Your 6-7 will do, but is a little light especially if you run 20 lb test. With your 6/7 I'd only go to 15 lb.

We most often fish 8 wts. with a sink tip (300-450 GR) or full sink and 15lb Maxima UG leader.

Stop by our Fly & Tackle shop when you arrive and we'll try and help you out.

Jay

Back