Tofino July or August

Down 10

Need your help, coming over to Fish with the boys/ Family trip 2 weeks this summer, when is the best time of good weather? Sun and little fog or am i dreaming. I have fished here the last 3 years in June and run to the banks in typical west coast small craft warnings, not a problem for the stag trip, but some of the family members are not the best sailors. We usually end up in the interior @ the mother inlaws cabin on the lake, cutting pine beetle fire wood and trying to catch a 10 inch trout, while my true love is salt water.

july has been good for me, we run out a ways too! any long stretches of clear weather can bring on the fog. fish are closer to the rocks later on, easier on the family. I am there 3rd week in august, usally lots of fish in close, you just get used to the fog!!!

The fog is just a big low cloud that drifts in and off shore, we've been there and seen it thick on the dock and two miles out its clear blue! then it drifts out a mile or two and your still in it. A low pressure system with rain and cloud can give you flat seas,and no fog! when its clear you get more loalized winds that build up throughout the day and the afternoons can get pretty lumpy, if you have to book in ,then you take the chance with the weather, but is'nt that the beauty of the ocean not knowing what you will get from the top side or the bottom side !!!!!!

We were over last year in the mid part of August and had a great time with great fishing. We didn't have to run very far offshore either to get in fish. So I found out as the "fog" burnt off.;)

The "fog" was thick in the morning with some decent swells but by late morning it had burnt off and things calmed right down. The locals (a friend who guides over there) refer to August as "Fogust", so keep that in mind.

Down 10,

Last year was our first year in Tofino fishing, and mid July was awesome:D. We hit some great weather (rain, but little fog) and great fishing. The guys/ladies at the tackle shop (first shop on the right as you're heading into town...I can't remember the name of the outfit)were great. Buy your gear there and ask for some advice, they're real friendly and knowledgable. We're going back this summer same time, and hope for a repeat of last year. Shoot off an e-mail to me if you plan on going mid-July and we can hook up for a beer and go over the charts from last year. We'll be staying at the Crystal Cove campground. We run in a small boat (542 Campion) and we're shown good inside waters for fishing and some offshore that was close enough to dart back in if the weather turned on us.

Scooter.

Thanks for the positive words about our shop Scooter, and glad we could help you.
Down 10, July might be best for your plans with family or otherwise.
Good fishing inshore for Coho and Chinook, and offshore is good for Chinook and Halibut. August is great fishing, but pretty busy and booked at many resorts.
We are dealing with some new fishing regs for August in Tofino, and earlier in July up the coast of V.I., but will expand on these after meetings this weekend in Nanaimo.
I try and keep regular updates on our site www.tofinofishing.com or just call the shop if you want a quick update prior to your trip.
We've got a fully stocked shop, so if you forget something, we've got what works.....
Hope to see you this summer.

Jay

Agree about Jay's, he set me up with a Brown Turd for Hali, worked great, and other advice.
What are you hearing about WCVI closures aroud Tofino as I plan on going up early Fogust but may change and go July.

quote:Originally posted by cpony
Agree about Jay's, he set me up with a Brown Turd for Hali, worked great, and other advice.

Is that the famous Tofino area Hootchie known as the Brown Turd?(is there any other colour turd?)

There will be further restrictions for most of West Coast Vancouver Island, and the details for inside Tofino/Clayoquot are not yet nailed down. Offshore should all be the same as last year.

July should be regs as normal, so if you are thinking about an earlier trip, it may be a good idea.

The Turd is a local slayer for most species, but you should tie a heavy leader as they are expensive....I guess when you consider burning $100.00 or more in fuel, it may be cheaper to invest in the gear that gets the job done.

Jay

I am headed up to Kuyuquot (sp?) for a few days in July but as per my oustanding trip that Jay (tofinofish) commented on last August with one of his guides, Jeff Hale who is a friend; I will defnitely be heading over a few times throughout the summer.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7384

Jay...would appreciate if you could keep us up to date with "closures" and "regulation" changes.

There aren't any "Closures" to outline, but changes will come into effect for the Conservation Corridor along the West Coast of V.I. to protect 4-5 year old Chinook. Fish 77cm and under (3 year olds) will be open for retention, but fish over 77cm. will be protected.

We have had this reg in place inside of Area 24 /Clayoquot for 7 years now, but unfortunately the Wild Chinook stocks were unable to bounce back from our efforts.

We will be in South Coast SFAB meetings this weekend, and should have a good idea what is happening for most areas after this process.

Stay tuned....

BTW, Some decent Springs and Halibut offshore from Tofino, with the weather finally laying down.

Jay

Back