Time to start off anew.

Cuba Libre

The fish farm thread is way too cumbersome. Time for another thread ses me....;)

On land, you dreamers</u>
Courier-Islander
Published: Friday, March 19, 2010
More and more the Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences appears to be a taxpayer's black hole. One week the message from it is there is no problem with copepod sea lice becoming resistant to the use of the pesticide Slice. And the next week they're into research on a problem they said doesn't exist.

What kind of hokum science is that? You're going to study a problem you said was not a problem? And no doubt you expect to arrive at a new chemical pesticide to replace its antecedent, a new biocide to add to the coastal water's ecosystem. How splendid!

And for what? The health of these Norwegian-owned Atlantic salmon that never should have been brought to Pacific waters?

:****A repayment for the big donations to the governing party in Victoria, I suspect. And no doubt the government is hoping for some justification from the Centre for lifting the moratorium on fish farms back in 2002 and somehow hiding the devastation it has caused, and is causing, to wild stock Pacific salmon.

We don't need the expense of a Centre to look after the health of wild salmon.

What is needed is to get the bloody farms out of the coastal migration routes of outbound wild salmon smolts. On land, you dreamers, on land.

Van Egan

© Courier-Islander (Campbell River) 2010

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Land based fish farms are NOT the cure that everyone thinks. Problem #1- where does all the excrement go? Lots of fish means lots of poop.
#2- what happens to the diseases that this fish will get? The used water with its load of viruses has to go some where.

Please don't get me wrong as I believe that the present marine farms if left unchecked will result in a bigger disaster than anything we have seen so far, but before we start pushing for land based farms we should look at their down sides.

quote:Originally posted by Big Bob

Land based fish farms are NOT the cure that everyone thinks. Problem #1- where does all the excrement go? Lots of fish means lots of poop.
Easy enough to filter it out/dry it out/bag it up and use it for fertiliser, that's the procedure in places that already use land based aquaculture.

quote:Originally posted by Big Bob#2- what happens to the diseases that this fish will get? The used water with its load of viruses has to go some where.
Run the water under an ultra-violet filter to kill the viruses.

quote:Originally posted by Big BobPlease don't get me wrong as I believe that the present marine farms if left unchecked will result in a bigger disaster than anything we have seen so far, but before we start pushing for land based farms we should look at their down sides.
Large scale land based aquaculture is already well established in many places the closest to us would be the southern USA Catfish farms.

They aren't completely trouble free, no factory is, but research is ongoing.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Back