Tides vs Currents for Halibut on Constance

LouDogII

Hey Guys,

I use Nobletec's site (www.nobeltec.com/services/tides.asp)to get my tide and current information. I fish out of Oak Bay (Victoria) and use "Victoria" for the tides and "Discovery Island" for the currents, but the currents don't seem to hold true. When the current graph is reading zero knots, my line disagrees, even taking boat drift into consideration.

I want to try Constance Bank in the next couple of days, but I want to time it right. What do I look for, and where do I look when I want to determine a calm current flow. I'm after halibut, so I want a slow current...does the tide matter on Constance Bank or just the size of the tide? What is considered a "big" tide 3', 4' and over? The guys at Island Outfitters have a current predictor on their wall, and it seems idiot proof, where do I find these?

Arggghh, help?

Thanks,
Scooter

I have learned through experience that one needs to remember that these are just tide and current predictions, not actual real data. I have also learned that there are many variables like wind and local anomalies that can make current proedictions unreliable (e.g. the weird sub-currents around Discovery Island).

I don't fish for halibut when the current is over 2 knots. Usually the bigger the tide the bigger the current (all things being equal). I look at tidal graphs (like those on the Fed tide book or found in most tidal software) for those times where the graph lines are the flatest (i.e. little tidal flow/current) to go halibut fishing.

There are several current atlas's available, one produced by the Feds. for the Juan de Fuca Strait and a few others (can't remember their names) that you can get at any marine supply store. Good luck.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

I have caught some of my biggest Halibut in strong currents. The line traveling straight back farther & farther constantly. Just made sure to keep it on bottom tho. I guess just because it covers more territory.

Back