Three crab traps had rope cut off Rathtrevor Beach.

It is very annoying. Had 5 days to try crab fishing and most days traps were empty and then three traps were lost as we had ropes also cut. One float was found with rope cut on the beach. That was a big financial hit on us.
Why are people doing this? How can it be prevented?
One of the local guys said the commercial guy cuts the lines. While I watched them one day they did not come across friendly at all. Looks like he has a ton of crab pots set. I try not to put traps between floats but they cover the whole area. Hard to find a safe spot out of their sight. Are sport fishermen screwed in this deal?
I’ve lost faith in people.

That’s frustrating, I always wondered if someone was pulling mine off French Creek. I’d leave them out overnight and all the bait would be gone and not one crab. Started zap strapping them shut with different colours zaps. That seemed to help

That’s frustrating, I always wondered if someone was pulling mine off French Creek. I’d leave them out overnight and all the bait would be gone and not one crab. Started zap strapping them shut with different colours zaps. That seemed to help
Ive had empty beer bottles and dog fish heads put in my traps. I never set them unless im fishing right by them. Lost many prawn traps. Just find the fishing line and drop your prawn traps nearby.

Back