Things You Can Do With......

Seafever

...old beat up metal flashers and /or dodgers.

Made a couple of spoons that are designed to act like a cutplug.

They have an angled bent lip on the front of them to get the roll and also bend in body.

Cut them out with tin-snips and used a file and s/paper on the edges.

They will be baptised soon.....

Other side has chrome and glow tape. The small one is the same size as a Brads Mini Cutplug.

No line going through the lure ...so you can use heavier leader.

001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...I'll put some kind of coating on them for rust......don't know what I'll use yet because the lure is flexible to some degree.

If you sprayed a good quality clear lacquer (several coats) you should be fine. I have some for you if you are ever in Vancouver...

Will the lacquer take "abuse"?

I have often thought of using lacquers as paint on plugs and spoons....because the available spray colors in lacquer are much much better selection...especially in metallics.

But lacquer is pretty soft... and that's what's held me back so far......you can't put clear enamel over a lacquer finish, it peels up.

I was using Tremclad Clear spray....but that stuff can make your enamel bleed if you're not careful.

So lately I've been using Krylon Triple Thick Clear spray or Krylon Satin spray........not the toughest finish in the world but at least it won't bleed. Don't know how it stands up sprayed over lacquer though.

Cheers.......

Hey SF,

We have an achitectural metalwork company in Vancouver and make some very high end furniture. A lot of the work has a patina finish over steel which needs to be coated to prevent any oxidation. We spray a lacquer product out of the states that is designed to go direct to metal. It is very durable and several coats should do it.

As a final finish we apply a good quality carnuba or bees wax. I would think a good solid lacquer base with a wax coat would work. Every so often you could wax and buff your gear as it comes out of the water. It is a very quick process, and worth a try.

That being said, I have never dragged any table bases around in the ocean so can't give you a definite answer....

WWFishin1:- I'll give you a call if and when I ever get over to Van.....that direct-to-metal lacquer sounds interesting.....:cool:

I never thought of beeswaxing my lures...I'll give that a try.........Cheers....:)

Found a couple Gibbs Teas Mors in an old tackle box took some pics but then my battery died will post back later or early tomorrow.

OK these are lousy pics of the units as mentioned-I'm pretty sure they originally had a swivel in front.

IMGP3426_zps0a6e4999.jpg

IMGP3427_zpsb3481a65.jpg

Any I have treated with Lacquer or Varnish have always yellowed, chipped or peeled off. nothing like a factory finish ........

Damn those Spoons look good though, good luck with em.

HT

What a great idea!!!

How about this?
I'll mail you some strips of polished SS sheet I have left of from a bar countertop project. If those work for you? maybe one day we can meet up and exchange homemade lures???
PM your addy if you like...

Back