The Official NFL Thread

2 Feb 2012 Times Colonist DAVE GROSS Postmedia News
Defence gives Giants the edge
A couple of big “ifs” surround the happenings and eventual fallout from Sunday’s Super Bowl XLVI.
SCOTT HALLERAN, GETTY IMAGES
Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora will be the centre of attention Sunday in Indianapolis as he tries to get to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.
And both involve the starting quarterbacks.
Here’s some relevant stuff to ponder — if Eli Manning wins his second Super Bowl title, in what has been an exceptional season, does he surpass brother Peyton on the QB greatness chart?
There’s an argument there.
If Eli wins, that’s one more crown than Peyton. The career numbers clearly favour Peyton, but that conversation also needs to include the fact that Peyton has had better weapons at his disposal. Does anyone in Eli’s years in New York compare to Marvin Harrison or even Reggie Wayne? Has Eli ever had as reliable a tight end as Dallas Clark? Worth pondering. On to Part II — if Tom Brady adds another Super Bowl trophy, is he then anointed best quarterback in the history of the game?
If he wins Sunday, Brady joins Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw as the only quarterbacks in history with four Super Bowl rings. He’s already tied with Montana for most playoff victories (16). At 34, if he can play another four seasons, Brady is likely within reach of most wins, period, by a pivot. On to the game.
N.Y. Giants at New England Patriots (-3)
Inevitably, plenty of the talk surrounding the game involves comparing the same two organizations who met in the 2008 Super Bowl. Is what happened in 2008 relevant then? To a degree. The turnover on both clubs has been significant, but the two key cogs — Manning and Brady — are still at the helm.
The coaches — Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick — are also still running the show.
Back in ’08, New England was the unstoppable force, heading into the league championship undefeated. The Giants were supposed to be cannon fodder, having squeezed into the playoffs with a wild-card spot.
We all know what happened from there — the biggest upset in Super Bowl history. (And this past week has set a new record for replay — tired of that David Tyree catch yet?)
It certainly won’t qualify as another upset if New York takes the title in 2012.
Defence The Giants’ success hinges again on pressuring Brady. Their front four combines speed, acceleration and strength — at this point in time it’s the best in football.
That athleticism pushes its way into the linebacking corps — and that’ll be key with the likes of Rob Gronkowski and Wes Welker attempting to find pockets 5-15 yards off the line of scrimmage.
Injuries decimated the New York secondary long before the season even began. Credit the patchwork crew for playing effectively the last chunk of the season and especially through the post-season. Defensive co-ordinator Perry Fewell could be the next Giant assistant lured away (see: Sean Payton, John Fox . . . and yep, Bill Belichick).
New England’s defence — generally a strength — sputtered through the regular season. The last two games, against Baltimore and Denver, the troops have rebounded, none more so than tackle Vince Wilfork, who collected six tackles, three for losses, against the Ravens. EDGE: Giants
Offence Outside of Eli again meeting Tom, the 2008 groups have little in common with the 2012 groups.
The Patriots plan to be much quicker dispensing the ball; Brady hung on too long too many times in ’08. The game plan this time around calls for quick drops and quick throws (see: Gronkowski, Welker).
This will test the ability of the Giants to get to Brady, but they’ve already enjoyed success this season against the Pats’ new scheme (in a Week 9 win in New England).
The record-setting Gronkowski will be key. He’s hobbled by a highankle sprain and if he’s not a force, the Pats are in trouble. The running game is kind of an afterthought in New England with its by-committee approach.
Manning’s accuracy and decision-making have never been better. His numbers aren’t jaw-dropping (308 yards per game, eight TDS in three playoff games) but the one that truly sticks out? Just one interception.
With Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz, Manning arguably has never had a stronger pair of weapons.
The biggest surprise this season is the run game. When the Giants have won in the past it’s been with a hard-charging ground attack. Not this year. New York was last in the league in yards per game in the regular season and not much better in the three playoff games. EDGE: Patriots
Final Analysis It’s a real pick ’em game, but the gut tells us its another win for the Giants.
Trot out the cliché, but the better defence generally wins, and Big Blue has that in spades. It’s also extremely hard to go against Manning at this point. Brady’s been superb, but Manning is on the verge of completing a very, very special season.
Against the spread: Take the Giants; Straight-up: Take the Giants Conference finals ATS: 1-1 Conference finals straight-up: 2-0

Totally agree..... Only way to beat beantown Brady is to sack the **** out of that sack of ****......sorry holmse'y but your Boston beaners are going down again.....PS..don't blame you for chick'in out on the bet.....:D

Ya so what about the bet.....if I win I have to come to collect.....if you win I deliver.....Straight up no spreads.....:D

i never said anything about chickening out did i ?,lol....stil say new england by 3, field goal wins it, my record is 3 and 1 when picking that, i picked vinateria to kick the winner over st louis a few years ago and the score and gues what....i won,lol....did it twice after that, still have decided on a score yet tho....holmes*

"a few years ago".....like try 10....that was Super B 36 2002.....you been smoking those farmed salmon again.....:p

Pats 38, Giants 17. Brady will be Brady and Giants D will stop playing out of their minds for a change. book it!

Somebody in the NY Giants team messed up and put this on their website.

Trouble is that is was done today … the day before the big game.

giatns_messup.jpg

Myself.... I don't think they are going to win.

GLG

You don't have to put it on the board.... I can hear you just fine :D

Oh shnapp!

That's okay holmes, I thought they were going to do it too.
Looks like they just weren't hungry enough when it really mattered.

Had the pleasure of watching the big game with about 50 of our american cousins here in southern Baja. Great game to watch!! Not an NFL fan but might have to become one after that game-just wish they'd make those Tequila jello shooters with diet Jello-must have really blown a hole in my diet yesterday. Probably drove them nuts that a Canuck won the hidden final score prize. I damn near rioted-then I realized I wasn't in B.C. and it wasn't a hockey game-just a bunch of Gringo's behaving badly!!

very weak call IMO that really set the tone for the game. while the ball landed miles from a receiver the pass was thrown almost directly over the head of a pats receiver, albeit quite a bit over his head but that's only because brady felt the pressure and rushed the pass. anyways, pats should have sorted out the offense on many occassions after that. I'm still bitter. can't believe Eli outplayed Tom

Cmon intentionaL grounding???????, wtf..:mad::mad::mad::mad:..holmes*

Prize was 50 us plus all the wings and tequila you never wanted-pretty good when all you went for was to be neighbourly and watch what turned out to be a pretty good game!

agree totally tincan, this one is gonna haunt me till DA BEARS start playing again next season..i'm bitter too..and ya nice score spring fever.....holmes*
Looks like this is going to be a year of many bitter disappointments eh Homes? I mean Da bears, Da Pats, Da Hacks.... the list goes on and on

So not the most exciting game in the world until the last quarter.....game could have easily gone the other way except for those dropped passes..... that unbelievable catch by Maningham was the game winner.....got to hand it to Billacheat for giving up the touchdown to save time....almost worked....six whole months till preseason.....yikes....good thing I've got those ribs to look forward to.....:D

....good thing I've got those ribs to look forward to.....:D

LOL... I feel bad that I told him the Pats were going to lose.... You made a bet for the ribs?

They are good
emo-coffee.gif

Back