the cost to travel

bones

If I wanted to say drive from Vancouver to rivers in a boat. 600kms and the boat is going 30kms. It would take you 20 hrs.
If the boat burns 10gph then it would burn 200 gallons. Right? 200x 3.78= 758 liters. Right? 758 liters x 1.21/l = 918.00$
Playing with the math and something feels wrong compared to what I currently putting in for gas vs mileage.
LOL am I doing grade 5 math correct?

looks about right. your boat gets 3 miles per gallon running at 3o km/hr? (20 miles/hr...) that's a fairly economical boat to run.
usually hull speed is your best fuel economy. but that would take just over twice as long.

what size of boat and what are you running for power? just curious.
may be faster to take the ferry on a size up the savings day and leave out of port hardy. that's how I always thought I'd do it but I've never been there.

If I wanted to say drive from Vancouver to rivers in a boat. 600kms and the boat is going 30kms. It would take you 20 hrs.
If the boat burns 10gph then it would burn 200 gallons. Right? 200x 3.78= 758 liters. Right? 758 liters x 1.21/l = 918.00$
Playing with the math and something feels wrong compared to what I currently putting in for gas vs mileage.
LOL am I doing grade 5 math correct?

Imperial gallon is 4.54 ltrs. US gallon is 3.78 ltrs. So depends if you are burning US or Imperial gallons.

I will be running up to that area and I get approx. 420km.

Might want to look at your numbers and recalculate.

Imperial gallon is 4.54 ltrs. US gallon is 3.78 ltrs. So depends if you are burning US or Imperial gallons.

I will be running up to that area and I get approx. 420km.

Might want to look at your numbers and recalculate.

I used 3.78 because the tank was a 140 us/g
I'm on my phone so i used 600 to keep it simple....... 600/30/20.

what size of boat and what are you running for power? just curious.
may be faster to take the ferry on a size up the savings day and leave out of port hardy. that's how I always thought I'd do it but I've never been there.

It's a 23' trophy with a 300hp Etec. I was wondering same thing that's why I was playing with the math.

looks about right. your boat gets 3 miles per gallon running at 3o km/hr? (20 miles/hr...) that's a fairly economical boat to run.
usually hull speed is your best fuel economy. but that would take just over twice as long.

I have done the boat thing on the ferry several times but only when I have to. The cost of the ferry alone is approx. 700 bucks return (57ft OAL) So whenever I have done any calculations the cost is very close to the same but you can surely count on adding a few more hours to the trip but to me that is way better than driving the roads and way more enjoyable for the most part.
I would much rather boat than drive. I got the thing so just another good reason to enjoy it!! I like running in it as much as I like fishing out of it!

Ah...... Thanks lol . I run 10gal/h at 3700rpm. Running 30-35 kms/h

26' SeaSport Volvo Diesel....5 gph at 25 mph so 600 KM would be 75 imp gallons or $415 at 1.22/litre. And would still have 1/3 of a tank left when I got there.
I know diesels cost more to repair when things go wrong but the mileage and durability are hard to beat

26' SeaSport Volvo Diesel....5 gph at 25 mph so 600 KM would be 75 imp gallons or $415 at 1.22/litre. And would still have 1/3 of a tank left when I got there.
I know diesels cost more to repair when things go wrong but the mileage and durability are hard to beat

Wow. That's approx 19 L/hr. My 24 seasport at 25mph is burning around 40 L/hr.

I know it's pretty sweet. It is a bit underpowered though as the boat is probably 8000 pounds. Most have the 260hp KAD44. Mine is the older 41. The 44 is more like 6 to 7 gph.

Back