Tarps ?

Time

Has anybody found a source for decent tarps.

Seems everything available is only good for a year or two at best before they start falling apart and shedding material, and in some cases developing holes where they have been subject to a bit of abrasion.
Blue, silver, green, tried all kinds and price ranges over the years.
And, as far as I know, they are not recyclable.

Thinking of phoning one of the semi-custom boat cover manufacturers down in the states and asking how much for a plain rectangular tarp made from Sharkskin or similar material.
The trailer and summer cover I bought from Westland about 5 years ago has held up well, but in Winter I like to use something that I can put a higher pitch (slope) on.

And that's my rant for today.

Doug,
Try Industrial plastics, they have an extra heavy green tarp with reinforced grommets.
15 x 20' was nearly 50 bucks but it's real heavy quality

They come in different grades. At Midland Tools they have about 4-5 different grades. It just depends on what you want to pay. Buy the heavy duty industrial one and spend the extra money it will last you a long time.

I buy the heaviest duty ones they have at Midland tools. They are not cheap but they are totally worth it. I use them to cover my trailer on the West Coast. I can get three seasons out of one in some of the harshest rain and wind. The only thing that seems to break them down is UV. The grommets are all still good.

I just purchased a white vinyl tarp typically used for billboards from http://www.billboardtarps.com/ and the material is very stout looking. The product I purchased was 30' x 13' white on white, but they have different sizes, colors, and some that have been used as a billboard on one side. From my observations, tarp material comes in good, better, and best, and vinyl typically is considered in best category and accordingly very pricy, but not very expensive from this source. I hope to put it up this week, and come spring, I will know if the material was good.

DAJ

canvas..???

Yup......my Dad has a number of canvas tarps that he has been using for 25+ years with no issues.

I guess it depends what you're looking to cover? I know he uses canvas tarps as the "fly" over his canvas wall tent as an "extra" layer.

Thanks for the responses.
It looks like a trip up to Midland may be in order, but first I'd like to hear more from "dance a jig".

I've seen banner signs before - and they definitely seem to be a better grade of material.

If you don't mind my asking, what did they charge for shipping?
The prices on the web site seem quite acceptable.
I may order from them if you feel the material you received is superior to the locally available tarps.
Let me know please.

As for good old fashioned canvas, impossible to find.
Scott - I've tried the heavy Industrial plastics one and did get two good years out of it.

Thank again for the input guys.

Ill second princess auto for tarps. They have some nice thick ones that seem to be doing fine against uv. They do have quite a few canvas tarps too.

Time,
I put the material over my boat Saturday, and I am very impressed. It is quite heavy, so you need another person to help, unlike the blue or grey tarps that I in the past can handle by myself. below is what I purchased and paid:

1x 13' x 30' Vinyl Tarp 13-16 oz - White for $39.00 each

Subtotal : $39.00 USD
Tax : $0.00 USD
Shipping : $29.59 USD
Total : $68.59 USD

So in my mind, shipping was pricey, but the total cost for a vinyl tarp of this weight was very good value. Google the vinyl tarps and see that the price this outfit has for similar weight is a small fraction of what they normally go for. The size I purchased did not come with grommets, so add $15 and some time to put those on. Evidently one can purchase a tarp with advertising on one side and nothing on the other which has drawstrings, but I wanted white on white.

good luck.

DAJ

Back