Targeting halibut throughout the year

Island.diverr

Hey guys, I’ve got a question. I’d like to know what halibut are doing throughout the year. More specifically, I hear in some areas there’s resident fish others have migratory fish push through. other times of the year they can be more towards river mouths feeding on salmon and I’ve also heard guys say they’ve caught them in relatively shallow water other times deep. I’ve caught them before but I just don’t understand there habits and routines throughout the year to strategically target them. Any help would be appreciated a lot thanks!

Unlike ling, yelloweye and many rockfish, halibut don't 'reside' in one pinnacle or area but are more likely to move with the feed.
That being said they do prefer certain bottom contours.
There's thousands of bits of information on the interweb on strategies, google is your friend.

They are probably more numerous in deeper water. When I commercial fished them we put hooks every 6 feet on 5 miles of line 1500 feet deep & stretches of several hundred years would have one on every hook. When sportfishing, if you are in the right spot you will hook-up immediately upon reaching bottom. My first Halibut charter at Swiftsure I got 8 (helped limit-out the boat). In the right spot they are caught while trolling for Salmon up to 75 ft or more from the bottom.
IMO the right spot for catching as described above will just about always be in the open ocean. I tend to travel to the right spot versus putting-in time in the wrong spot, but many are caught in these "wrong spots". The more remote you are the more Halibut you catch at these "wrong spots".

They are probably more numerous in deeper water. When I commercial fished them we put hooks every 6 feet on 5 miles of line 1500 feet deep & stretches of several hundred years would have one on every hook. When sportfishing, if you are in the right spot you will hook-up immediately upon reaching bottom. My first Halibut charter at Swiftsure I got 8 (helped limit-out the boat). In the right spot they are caught while trolling for Salmon up to 75 ft or more from the bottom.
IMO the right spot for catching as described above will just about always be in the open ocean. I tend to travel to the right spot versus putting-in time in the wrong spot, but many are caught in these "wrong spots". The more remote you are the more Halibut you catch at these "wrong spots".
Thanks for that. That makes sense.

Unlike ling, yelloweye and many rockfish, halibut don't 'reside' in one pinnacle or area but are more likely to move with the feed.
That being said they do prefer certain bottom contours.
There's thousands of bits of information on the interweb on strategies, google is your friend.
Thanks. I’ve looked a lot on Google, island halibut book, read forums. Was just looking for more of peoples experience as in certain times of the year do people find them in shallower or deeper water, are they more numerous certain times of the year in certain areas. More general questions. I’ll be out soon and trying areas, putting in lots of time but with more information I’d be able to narrow down my search areas. Thanks again

Thanks. I’ve looked a lot on Google, island halibut book, read forums. Was just looking for more of peoples experience as in certain times of the year do people find them in shallower or deeper water, are they more numerous certain times of the year in certain areas. More general questions. I’ll be out soon and trying areas, putting in lots of time but with more information I’d be able to narrow down my search areas. Thanks again

go north man. nothing down here to brag about; ppl fluke into the occasional hali like my wife did last summer in desolation but mcneill north has more population by a long shot. i’ve caught them at ledge point, lady ellen, backside of malcolm, in front of the airport in PH taylor bank. there’s just more up there period.

Does anyone fish hali in Saanich inlet? Seems plenty deep enough (to say the least!) but maybe they just don't live there? Looking for something to do while I'm letting the prawn traps soak.

go north man. nothing down here to brag about; ppl fluke into the occasional hali like my wife did last summer in desolation but mcneill north has more population by a long shot. i’ve caught them at ledge point, lady ellen, backside of malcolm, in front of the airport in PH taylor bank. there’s just more up there period.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve had luck on the backside of malcom island for sure.

I found this to be a great read on the history of the halibut fishery.

inside protected waters were fished out before 1900.

That was an interesting read. Over 100 years ago as the inshore areas were first fished commercially the signs of depletion were fishing deeper waters, smaller average sizes of fish and reduced catch per unit effort. Probably sounds a bit familiar for anyone who has watched the local halibut sport fishery over the last couple of decades.

And Plumper Pass was called out as an early inshore fishery hotspot. Won't lie, I drifted the deeper part of the channel with a big jig once just to see what was there. No luck, but I was 120 years too late on that spot.

Back