Suzuki DT9 9C 9.9 kicker problem

Need help.

Kicker won't stay running. Running fine last season. Stayed it add usually do (after 9 yrs of use and very reliable), and can get it started but seems to be getting to much air. Will only keep running if 50 % throttle or playing with choke as it runs.

What I've done.
1. Emptied a shared gas tank (with the main motor and its running fine).
2. Pulled and totally cleaned carburetor (3 times now, and it's never gummed up and wasn't the first time).
3. Pulled the reed plate out (6 reed plates) all looks brand new , no chips or signs of fatigue.
4. Hired a boat mechanic, he's stumped.

Advice would be great. Thank you in advance.

Amendment to my first post.
1. Emptied gas tank from last year's fuel. Filled it up again with mid grade fuel.
On the water - ran big motor for 10 minutes then tried kicker - did what I've explained in part above.

I've got a 2010, so it's not much newer, and it is carbureted as well. I had a similar issue. Cleaned the carb a few times as well. No change. I took it off a third time, and REALLY had a close look at it. There are 4 tiny holes into the top of the carb throat. 3 of the holes are on the intake side of the butterfly, one is on the manifold side. This increases the richness of the fuel mixture since the air intake is limited by the choke. At the same time, it drips a tiny amount of fuel into the manifold side of the carb to prime the engine. When you choke the engine, it provides the tiniest bit of fuel to the motor through this passage way. If your engine has run rough and backfired, it creates a little bit of soot that can clog these holes. I used a single wire from a stainless steel wire brush to poke some jammed up crud out of these holes. I had soaked that carb for a week in solvent previously and it didn't clean that stuff out. Once I realized those holes were there and I poked them with the wire and cleaned that little bit of crap out, it fired up and ran like a dream. If I recall, the holes are at the top (i.e. the ceiling) of the carb throat, three on the intake side and one on the engine side of the butterfly valve. Try it. I finally figured this out because when I looked carefully at the throat there was an odd bit of soot staining around the hole, then I realized there was a hole there and it was clogged.

Here is an exhaustive thread about my challenges to figure this mess out. Lots of guys helped me too.

Post 37 is where I finally solved it.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/stubborn-kicker-arggggg.59158/#post-743771

Good luck!

If it's the little holes I mentioned, SeaFoam won't help. There is no pressure at that point in the carb, the vacuum from the intake stroke pulls the fuel in. If the holes are plugged, no fuel will flow through. no fuel, no SeaFoam. No SeaFoam, no cleany.

Back