Sunglasses

scott craven

Well, I'm kinda fed up with paying big $$ for sunglasses having had a
few pairs of Maui Jim and Serengetti lost,broken and damaged.
Picked these up for $24 and they look and feel exactly like Maui Jim's for
1/10 of the price.

How’s the polarization? I bought a pair of Goodr’s. Cheap but polarized. Not at clear as my Ray Ban’s.

Get what you pay for, had my lenses and frames (yep walked out with a new pair of glasses) replaced free of charge last winter while vacationing in Hawaii at the Maui Jim store. They were approximately 10yrs old and not on the shelf for sale anymore but they still carry all the replacement parts. I’ll happily pay for that kind of service.

Like you scott just buy the cheap ones now and toss away after a year

Like you scott just buy the cheap ones now and toss away after a year
I agree, I used to buy expensive ones but I usually lose, have them stolen or break them before I can utilize any of the benefits of their customer service

I buy safety glasses several pairs at a time - one pair in the truck, one in the house, one in the boat. They come in several tints and polarized or not. Yellow is great for cycling at night, which I used to do when I commuted by bike. One of the lighter tints helps in fog. $6-10 a pair.20231017_073540.jpg

I agree, I used to buy expensive ones but I usually lose, have them stolen or break them before I can utilize any of the benefits of their customer service
I've gone this way too. I scratch them up pretty bad trying to clean the salt residue off the lenses multiple times a day. I'll toss them on for general hook protection landing fish sometimes too.
Anyone have a link to their go-to set of framed polarizated sunglasses that fit a med-large head for under $50? Bonus point if they have a lens that does well on an overcast day.

Last edited:
Unlike others I do pay for good sunglasses; have been wearing Kaenon for years but they are pricy.

Their new lens technology on the ones I bought earlier this year is absolutely amazing and especially when on the water. I have had 3 or 4 friends try them on and they ended up buying a pair.

I buy safety glasses several pairs at a time - one pair in the truck, one in the house, one in the boat. They come in several tints and polarized or not. Yellow is great for cycling at night, which I used to do when I commuted by bike. One of the lighter tints helps in fog. $6-10 a pair.View attachment 99003
Ditto. I get mine from Ono trading in Nanaimo

I've gone this way too. I scratch them up pretty bad trying to clean the salt residue off the lenses multiple times a day. I'll toss them on for general hook protection landing fish sometimes too.
Anyone have a link to their go-to set of framed polarizated sunglasses that fit a med-large head for under $50? Bonus point if they have a lens that does well on an overcast day.
Best bang for your buck sunglasses imo, look and fit good

These are good, although the frames did crack and I need to get them warrantied. Maybe I got a turd set? Lifetime warranty - I’ll have to see how that goes.

Unlike others I do pay for good sunglasses; have been wearing Kaenon for years but they are pricy.

Their new lens technology on the ones I bought earlier this year is absolutely amazing and especially when on the water. I have had 3 or 4 friends try them on and they ended up buying a pair.

I paid big bucks to get my eyes lasered to see distance.
I look at good sunglasses as protecting that investment.
I have a great pair of Costas that I only use for the boat, they are polarized glass, not plastic, and have held up well for over five years.
Unfortunately, Costas were bought out by Luxoticca, who fired all the talent and ruined a nice sunglasses manufacturer.

I think my next pair will be Kaenons, good to hear you like them. I know a bunch of serious sailors and they also speak highly of them.

I think my next pair will be Kaenons, good to hear you like them. I know a bunch of serious sailors and they also speak highly of them.

I was in Maui about a dozen years ago and tried them on along with Ray Ban's/Maui Jim's and they were a better lens; these latest ones I have are incredible even if I compare to my last 2 pairs.

Only problem is they are tough to find at retail in Canada and they don't (or didn't) ship across the border so I just had them shipped to a holding facility in Point Roberts.

Last edited:

Not a bad price. My polarized Ray Bans were over $200. I cracked a lens with the butt of my rod when they were in my pocket fishing in Bamfield, and I couldn’t find replacement lenses except from a 3rd party manufacturer. Kind of soured me on the brand as a whole.

A good tip to not losing or breaking your shades is to always carry a case for them, and put them in the case when not using. Also, don’t stab the case with your rod when fighting a big spring. I had those shades for 8 years before that.

Same here, too hard on stuff and accident prone to spend money on good glasses. Like most things you get a diminishing return when you start paying over $100 for glasses. My optometrist told me ALL sunglasses sold in Canada must have UV protection. Might not last forever though. I buy a couple of pairs of cheepies and swap them out when they get salt splash on them and toss them when too scratched.

Respect your eyes, you only have one pair, and a replacement pair is painful and costs a lot. As you age, the things you do to your eyes will compile and you will pay for it.

I used cheap sunglasses growing up, now in my 60+ things have caught up with me and in the last 3 years I have lost 60%+ of my sight in one eye but not because of sunglasses but other things I did to my eyes. You don’t know how precise your sight is until it is gone, and my eyesight cannot be corrected.

I always thought not me, now for the last three years, off to the ophthalmologist every 4 months for testing and purchasing drops, and pills that exceed the cost of any good quality sunglasses. .

I’ve used Ray Bans and found all three pairs the lens delaminates, sure, they replace them for $100 but the same thing happened.
Over the last 10 years, I have only used Maui Jim's and never had a problem. Best place to buy them is at Trotac.

Respect your glasses and take care of them like your best rifle or fishing rod and in the long haul your eyes will appreciate it.

In terms of sun protection, you want lens that protect you against UVA, UVB rays and the lens must have a UV 400 rating. Cheap glasses say they protect against UV ray but do not list how much (UV 50+-). You only get what you pay for, and good quality glasses cost more for a reason, better UV protection and better clarity.

What ever your budget is and what ever you purchase, be prepared for the outcome in future years.

Back