Striper owner needs Advice

S

Striper36

I have recently entered the exciting world of boat owning and lovin it! I purchased a 2004 Seaswirl Stiper 2101 with the XDP Volvo sterndrive and received no owners manual with it and I am questioning something odd? I am having a small hydaulic oil leek from under the inspection cover in the leg? When the boat is out of the water the milky oil runs down the leg and creates a 1"to2" puddle on the ground? Then when in the water it makes the 'oil slick' coloured look. I have also noticed that I have had to top up the hydraulic steering fluid reservoir in the engine compartment twice in the last two months? Are they related?
I have ordered an owners manual from Seaswirl but any help that someone could give a fellow boater would be greatly appreciated.
As well...I am in the Comox Valley, does anyone know of a good reliable and honest boat mechanic to deal with?
Thanxs again:D

Hey Striper36, welcome to the forum. I also have a 2004 Striper 2101 WA Hardtop however, mine has an outboard. In the Comox Valley you might want to try Parker Marine in Courtenay or talk to Terry at 5 Star Marine located in Courtenay as well. I would suggest that you call them sooner than later as they get extremely busy starting in May and you might have to wait up to three weeks to get your boat in. I would suggest that you join the Stripers Owners Club (just Goggle it) and you will find the members extremely helpful. It cost nothing to join and you will find a wealth of information. :D SS

it sounds like you need a new gasket or seal in there.
seal haha [:p]

Striper 36 Good morning, I have the 2004 1851 striper with 150 yam and 9.9 4 strokes, and have had all my servicing done at Parkers marine in Courtenay. Ed in service is the man to see, a straight up guy, who knows his stuff and is more than willing to talk over any concerns before repair work begins. I guess between repairs and motor purchases, I have been in and out of Parkers for about 25 years and have been treated well. Glad to hear you are enjoying the boating, I believe we live in the centre of the universe for playing on the water. We do not winterize the striper but play year around. A tough day yesterday in Desolation Sound, limiting out on prawns. How sweet it is! Prawny.

Fish? That's a negative, trolled all day between Denman and Fanny Bay Area an not even a hit? I was wondering if I was in the right area? Prawning was good right in the path of the Ferry, there is a nice deep hole. Brought in 200-300 average size...need more traps now!

Striper, I happen to be a mechanic and a fishing guide too. From what youre telling us, sounds like you may have water getting into your leg oil.. definately not good but may be an easy fix if you get it before any leg damage happens (water dillutes the oil). Also definately not anything to do with p. steer leak. Im in Campbell River and am fully mobile. I am ticketed and have lots of experience and references. Email me and Ill give you my phone #. brittanyandclayton@msn.com

Hello Fish Lifter, glad to get your reply. I just sent you off an email with my phone number, looking forward to chatting.

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

... In the Comox Valley you might want to try Parker Marine in Courtenay or talk to Terry at 5 Star Marine located in Courtenay as well.

You really need to look into this quickly - but I would not let the guys at 5 Star look at it unless you have a truck load of money and don't care what type of job they do.

My ex-boat partner took our boat to them 2 years ago for an engine rebuild and gas tank replacement. I don't know where they had the tank built, but it leaked before the boat was launched and when they "repaired" it, it still leaked. I saw the welds on the tank, and I could have done a better job, and I haven't welded since I was in high school. When I suggested that they not send it back to the tank builder, but instead get Daigle (who I think knows a little something about welding alluminum) to build a new tank, well, Terry just lost his mind! He spent a lot of time undermining me with my partner.

When I saw that they had installed two deep cycle batteries instead of starting batteries, I told him that I wanted starting batteries - he ignored it and told my partner that I was stupid.

He managed to take a basic job and turn it into a very expensive venture worth 4 times what I could have gotten it done for.

Sorry, but I wouldn't take my boat to him ever again.

quote:Originally posted by Striper36

Hello Fish Lifter, glad to get your reply. I just sent you off an email with my phone number, looking forward to chatting.

I worked with Dave at Nootka Island Lodge - He is a good guy and should be able to fix you right up.

But don't hog him - I need to get him to do some work on my boat in the near future! :D

Thanks Sushihunter for the scope on Dave. I got a good vibe from him when we spoke the other day on the phone sounds like he know his stuff. I am just looking forward to getting the problem fixed without getting 'raked over the coals' by a boat dealer and also gaining more knowledge more about my vessel. Rookies gotta start somewhere right?

Thanks Sushihunter for the scope on Dave. I got a good vibe from him when we spoke the other day on the phone sounds like he know his stuff. I am just looking forward to getting the problem fixed without getting 'raked over the coals' by a boat dealer and also gaining more knowledge more about my vessel. Rookies gotta start somewhere right?

You're welcome!

Finding a good mechanic for your boat (or even your car) seems to be pretty hard in this area. When you find one, treat him good.

I've seen some pretty horible work done by some mechanics, it can be very costly. I've worked for a boat/auto mechanic in the past, so I can usually spot the BS artist. One of the reasons I like to be around while the work is being done. Some of the shops are now charging $100 an hour!

I think that you will find Dave will do what you need, and not hose you on the price.

You're welcome!

Finding a good mechanic for your boat (or even your car) seems to be pretty hard in this area. When you find one, treat him good.

I've seen some pretty horible work done by some mechanics, it can be very costly. I've worked for a boat/auto mechanic in the past, so I can usually spot the BS artist. One of the reasons I like to be around while the work is being done. Some of the shops are now charging $100 an hour!

I think that you will find Dave will do what you need, and not hose you on the price.

Back