Steelhead fishing in the Vedder & Vancouver area

tincan

At the risk of being roasted by the steelhead fishing community that seems much more secretive (and for good reason in some cases) than the salt chuck gang, I wanted to get some generic (ie not your favourite secret spots) info on how to fish the vedder for steelhead. I've been out a few times and got into a few steelhead in the past couple years since I started freshwater but I'd have to say it was more luck than anything. As the season is approaching are there different months when some parts are better than others? How to steer clear of the crowds? Other rivers in the Vancouver area worth checking out?

I'll be float fishing and have used wool, worms and blades in the past few years. Generally try to keep my hook a couple feet off the ground but other than that I've never really got into the best practices. Would appreciate any dialogue to help myself and other fairly new steelhead fishermen. thx

Steelhead are easy to catch-dead easy.

The issue you're up against isn't secrecy it's numbers-there are many times fewer Steelies than other types of Salmon thus your lower rate of success.

Yes the steelhead community is very tight lipped and for good reason. I used to fish the Vedder lots and found the best baits to be ghost shrimp rigged "backwards". It took lots of effort as I had to head down to White rock the night before at low tide and pump the bugs out of the sand. At best they will last a couple days but they tend to die rather quickly and stink the place up. Locations vary from year to year but with any great fishery so close to Vancouver, word gets out rather quickly where the fish are holding and look for the trucks and you'll be in the zone. The key is to watch the weather and head out on a warm front after some heavy rains, get to your spot early and reel em in. Look for bends in the river just below some sort of obstruction and you can usually find a few biters.

Cheers

Thx for the response with some useful info. I'm probably gonna head out next week to test out my new waders and boots so I'll try a few different places and keep your comments in mind. cheers

Yes the steelhead community is very tight lipped and for good reason. I used to fish the Vedder lots and found the best baits to be ghost shrimp rigged "backwards". It took lots of effort as I had to head down to White rock the night before at low tide and pump the bugs out of the sand. At best they will last a couple days but they tend to die rather quickly and stink the place up. Locations vary from year to year but with any great fishery so close to Vancouver, word gets out rather quickly where the fish are holding and look for the trucks and you'll be in the zone. The key is to watch the weather and head out on a warm front after some heavy rains, get to your spot early and reel em in. Look for bends in the river just below some sort of obstruction and you can usually find a few biters.

Cheers

vedder fishing spots

Thx for the response with some useful info. I'm probably gonna head out next week to test out my new waders and boots so I'll try a few different places and keep your comments in mind. cheers

the best spot to fish is right behind my house. use a prawn tail or a roe bage and you can't go wrong.

There will be a few fish around, but it's still early. My best months have always been Feb and March.

There's no such thing as a secret spot on the Vedder. At any given moment there's 20 - 40 guys within line of sight watching your every move...and the best spots have them lined up 2 deep to fish "the hot spot." Its turned into a gong show.

There's no such thing as a secret spot on the Vedder. At any given moment there's 20 - 40 guys within line of sight watching your every move...and the best spots have them lined up 2 deep to fish "the hot spot." Its turned into a gong show.
No secret spots for sure,every inch of that flow gets fished. But there are primo less traveled spots one can fish if you enjoy hiking and hunting instead of fenceposting the meatholes.it also helps when you live a few mintutes away from the river and can go anytime during weekdays.

A 10 minute hike on the Vedder will often reward you with uncrowded conditions, and a steelie or two if your lucky. PM me if you would like some good places to start.

Busy day on the vedder today... At least in terms of number of people. Was pretty much shoulder to shoulder most places and I hit up around 6 spots and hiked a bit as well. Didn't get a sniff and didn't see anything landed either although the guys at Fred's said they saw a few jb the morn. Sure it will be even busier tomo!

Always very busy over the Xmas holidays.The reason why I dont start fishing there till after New Year, that and the fact theres not alot of Dec fish in the river.

Busy day on the vedder today... At least in terms of number of people. Was pretty much shoulder to shoulder most places....
Any fights?

Car Breakins?

Stabbings?(Although to be fair most stabbings happen in warmer weather)

Surprisingly no. At least none that I saw. I think the sunny weather and fact guys were fishing on a friday probably helped to cool tempers.

Any fights?

Car Breakins?

Stabbings?(Although to be fair most stabbings happen in warmer weather)

Back