Stearing failure.

Most stainless comes from china now doesn’t it ??, I replace All kinds of fasteners on my POs and they all go rusty in no time, really soft too, easy to strip

I did not all stainless comes from china. Right now the best steel in my opinion is nippen steel in Japan. Or else north American.

Vevor probably uses China Steel Corp which sucks of its made there. Taiwan stuff is better. Some of that stuff is recycled so ****** quality.

Most stainless comes from china now doesn’t it ??, I replace All kinds of fasteners on my POs and they all go rusty in no time, really soft too, easy to strip
Lots of nice stuff comes from China. Lots of junk too. They will sell manufacture companies whatever you want. It's all based on price. Want real cheap cheap, you get cheap cheap. I always get the BBQ pork. Can't go wrong 🤣

The end of my steering cable will go into this support and will not be visible or accessible once installed. Should I apply some sort of grease to the end of the steering cable to have some lubrication when moving back and forth inside the tube? When I pulled the old one out it did not appear to be greased. End of cable is stainless and this tube on the one I removed was aluminum.
IMG_0693.jpeg

based on friction and differential metals,, i say grease her up! lithium...
Thanks. I've been doing some online reading on it and some say that over time grease will "gum-up" and make the steering stiff. A couple did say to use lithium grease so I think I will pick some up and give it a good coat. The tube has a cap with o-ring so with it being mounted under the floor there should not be any crap getting on the rod in this location and pulled back into the tube.
Thanks again.

Thanks. I've been doing some online reading on it and some say that over time grease will "gum-up" and make the steering stiff. A couple did say to use lithium grease so I think I will pick some up and give it a good coat. The tube has a cap with o-ring so with it being mounted under the floor there should not be any crap getting on the rod in this location and pulled back into the tube.
Thanks again.
My baystar (I think) system just seized up after 4 years. It actually just failed completely the other day. I'll be asking about lube this time.

Well.....bought a Vevor. 300hp model. Fast shipping. 750.00. Installation went well .The worst part was getting the old cable system out. Bled. System is smooth. Hàve been testing every day. Time will tell if it was a good decision or ...........

View attachment 94986
Just saw this thread now. I built last year and went default SeaStar because that is what I know. My builder installed Vevor in the next boat he built which was the same as mine because the client wanted to save money. He said it looked almost identical to the Seastar in terms of design and that even the seals looked interchangeable all at about a third the cost. So it will be interesting to see how your system holds up over time. I am not sure Vevor is as bad as people like to make out it is

Just saw this thread now. I built last year and went default SeaStar because that is what I know. My builder installed Vevor in the next boat he built which was the same as mine because the client wanted to save money. He said it looked almost identical to the Seastar in terms of design and that even the seals looked interchangeable all at about a third the cost. So it will be interesting to see how your system holds up over time. I am not sure Vevor is as bad as people like to make out it is
It’s all built in china, the brand is we pay for, example the American icon Harley Davidson, bought part for my heritage few years back, on the back of the package (MADE IN CHINA)

It’s all built in china, the brand is we pay for, example the American icon Harley Davidson, bought part for my heritage few years back, on the back of the package (MADE IN CHINA)
Yeah, true enough. I suspect maybe in this case the Seastar patents ran out so Vevor just duplicated the Seastar system. Pretty common tactic once the twenty years of protection is up.

Back