"split shot " or " lead "

Roe Bags, you still havent graced us with your wisdom as to what you use for weight under your red and white bobber...

Re-read the original post, I already answered Slabs question before the thread became another one of Summer Steels Stamp River Hero Posts. Pencil lead and Split shot both have there place depending on water ccnditions. Dont have time to tie up slinky bags, to busy tying Roe Bags;)

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Re-read the original post, I already answered Slabs question before the thread became another one of Summer Steels Stamp River Hero Posts. Pencil lead and Split shot both have there place depending on water ccnditions. Dont have time to tie up slinky bags, to busy tying Roe Bags;)

So that's why we never see any pics. You want to be a humble an unsung hero regaling us with great stories of glory.:DMakes perfect sense now.

The pics were in response to Slab's inquiry to catching any fish with slinkys or not. Since ol bags didn't like the salmon pics, I posted a few steelie pics which were all caught using slinkys as weights.

To get back to the thread, the best solution is to go & try everything until you find what is comfortable for you. Not everyone is going to like everything. Find a system that fishes well for you & that you have confidence in & go with it.
Remember, there are no absolutes in fishing. Changing, improvising & adapting will always bring you more success!!:)

wow! what else can I say :D Thanks alot for the pics! and all the great feedback.

Roe Bags only ever seems to post with an attitude. You should think before you jump all over people for no reason. The posts from summer were all relative to the thread.

Chromesweetminnow

Roebags has a point when he stated coho lined in a ditch warm water
nice fish,.. sure, but i highly doubt they were not flossed. the hole reason why I don't fish coho in the river, they have gone through enough to get there let them finish their job (my opinion only) looking at the water conditions there was'nt anywhere for them to go and and they were stacked up like lego. Probably not hard to floss all day long.. is it now??? especially out of jet boat How hard is it really to catch fish out of a jet boat anyway? not hard I would be more impressed if those fish were taken on a fly

I believe the thread was about split shot or lead or slinkys in my opinion they only thing that those do differently is change how your bait/lure is presented in a drift or cause you to hang up less. and if you say that a slink catches more fish I call BS The pics have nothing to do with the post, its just summers way showing he catches fish

As for summersteel pics, not everyone needs to post a pic to make people believe that they catch fish.
weird how he already agreed there too many jets boats on the stamp but he seems to have no problem supporting it

"chromesweetminnow"....was that supposed to be funny? If you want to be a jerk while hiding behind your comp screen fill your boots kid.

CSC you take a jab at Roebags but cant take one your self before you slam someone be prepared to take some of it back

quote:Roe Bags only ever seems to post with an attitude. You should think before you jump all over people for no reason.

this post is not the same?
I dont get it
second you and summer steel were the first to slam my post about jet boats on the stamp

3rd not hiding anywhere bud, I can back up my statements I post

BTW not a kid your mistaken

quote:Originally posted by Vince914

CSC you take a jab at Roebags but cant take one your self before you slam someone be prepared to take some of it back

quote:Roe Bags only ever seems to post with an attitude. You should think before you jump all over people for no reason.

this post is not the same?
I dont get it
Vince,

Obviously, you don't.

second you and summer steel were the first to slam my post about jet boats on the stamp

Your posts got slammed & ultimately removed because you slagged someones business on a public forum & advocated using violence to solve what YOU perceived to be a problem. If you have nothing constructive to add then why bother at all?? :(

3rd not hiding anywhere bud, I can back up my statements I post

That's why they were removed???

BTW not a kid your mistaken

Maybe not physically, but your attitude in your posts suggests otherwise. Maybe you should try posting something positive & helpful for a change. How about a current fishing report or whatever setup it is you use for steelhead. You know, something someone else can read & take something good away from it. How about what the thread is about?? Lead, split, slinky, or whatever you use.

SummerSteel
umm..never slagged the business I slagged the guide and his ethics

I replied to the forums topic

quote:I believe the thread was about split shot or lead or slinkys in my opinion they only thing that those do differently is change how your bait/lure is presented in a drift or cause you to hang up less.

I believe it was you or csc that made the comment about staying in the rifle range
my entire post in the forum was for courtesy and ethics if you read it

btw
nothing wrong with saying your opinion about a business it comes with being in busines

Vince, every post Ive seen you make was childish. Post somthing usefull for once. [B)]

Chromesweetminnow

Roebags has a point when he stated coho lined in a ditch warm water
nice fish,.. sure, but i highly doubt they were not flossed. the hole reason why I don't fish coho in the river, they have gone through enough to get there let them finish their job (my opinion only) looking at the water conditions there was'nt anywhere for them to go and and they were stacked up like lego. Probably not hard to floss all day long.. is it now??? especially out of jet boat How hard is it really to catch fish out of a jet boat anyway? not hard I would be more impressed if those fish were taken on a fly

So, it is O.K. to fish for steelhead in the river,many stacked like cord wood in the falls pool, but the coho should be left alone to "finish their job"?? Funny, since there are 10x as many coho as steelhead & they are 95% hatchery fish put there to be caught by fishermen, I don't think targeting them is going to hurt the run. I think you need to get a better understanding of the whole put & take hatchery concept.

"looking at the water conditions there was'nt anywhere for them to go and and they were stacked up like lego."

Really. Quite an astute observation from someone who hasn't fished the river for coho. I guess the almost 50,000 coho counted through the Stamp Falls fishway weren't really there then.They must have all been stacked up in the lower river with nowhere to go. I wonder how all those thousands of fish jumping in the lake at the hatchery got there then??[:0] You really need to do some more research before you post.

How hard is it really to catch fish out of a jet boat anyway? not hard

Well, since you've never done it, how would you know anything about it??

I would be more impressed if those fish were taken on a fly

Me too!!! Maybe you can post some pics of your fly caught salmon or steelhead. Waiting with baited (sorry) breath!!:D

I believe the thread was about split shot or lead or slinkys in my opinion they only thing that those do differently is change how your bait/lure is presented in a drift or cause you to hang up less. and if you say that a slink catches more fish I call BS The pics have nothing to do with the post, its just summers way showing he catches fish

Back on topic finally!! Have you ever fished a slinky?? I'm thinking not. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If not, then how do you know anything about them.[?] Basically, it works like this: if you hang up less with slinkys, that means you are spending more time fishing than re-tying your lost gear. More time fishing = more fish hooked. Just that simple. I HAVE fished with lead, shot & slinkys for years. My experience tells me slinkys get hung up WAY less than lead & catch just as many, if not more fish. The pics have everything to do with the post because they were all caught using slinkys. It all boils down to what works best for you. For me, slinkys are the best weight.

As for summersteel pics, not everyone needs to post a pic to make people believe that they catch fish.

Aw shucks!! I was looking forward to those fly caught Salmon & steelhead pics too!!:D

weird how he already agreed there too many jets boats on the stamp but he seems to have no problem supporting it

I said it was a good thing EVERYBODY didn't have a boat because it was already crowded enough. That included all the shore guys as well. Yes, my friend has a boat. Yes, I go fishing with him sometimes. If this is a problem for you, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you should book a trip with somebody some day. You might find that you don't dislike sleds that much after all!!:)

SummerSteel
umm..never slagged the business I slagged the guide and his ethics

Vince,

C'mon now. You forget already?? You mentioned the business's name on the boat & incited others to use violence to deal with what you perceived to be the guides lack of ethics. You also refused to contact the business's owner & discuss your concerns about his employee with him directly. I believe you said it would be " pointless". You talk about courtesy & ethics in one breath & then talk about inciting others to use violence to solve a problem in the next. Doesn't sound very courteous or ethical to me.

I replied to the forums topic

quote:I believe the thread was about split shot or lead or slinkys in my opinion they only thing that those do differently is change how your bait/lure is presented in a drift or cause you to hang up less.

I believe it was you or csc that made the comment about staying in the rifle range
my entire post in the forum was for courtesy and ethics if you read it

btw
nothing wrong with saying your opinion about a business it comes with being in busines

Nothing wrong at all about having an opinion. BUT, when you make derogatory statements against a person or business on a public forum, THAT is called slander. Fine line between that and a simple opinion.

Summersteel

I do fish slinky’s, have not fished them in a while back in the 80’s was when I first seen them and fished them I still prefer lead with surgical tubing
I carry about 8 with me still when I go just for those days when it’s grabby out there

Obviously I do know something about them I have fished them for the last 12 – 15 years
So consider your self corrected

As for never fishing out of a jet boat that’s an assumption on your part
You should post the reason why I don’t like jets boats is cause I can’t afford one if you want to make more assumptions on this forum LMAO

AS for slamming the business, you forget quickly as I stated I don’t have a problem with Nick or his company or other jet boats, my post target a certain individual
But whatever.. its . over now no big deal I guess $h!t happens

So, it is O.K. to fish for steelhead in the river, many stacked like cord wood in the falls pool, but the Coho should be left alone to "finish their job"?? Funny, since there are 10x as many Coho as steelhead & they are 95% hatchery fish put there to be caught by fishermen, I don't think targeting them is going to hurt the run. I think you need to get a better understanding of the whole put & take hatchery concept.

Usually (winter) steelhead have lots more water to move around in and in my opinion are harder to target than Coho, when you can see them holing in pools 10feet deep
As for hurting the run, its only my opinion like I stated to let them finish their job If you look at other rivers i.e. cowie you cant say that fishing hasn’t destroyed the run of Coho and Chinook even with a hatchery system on the river. Do you even know what the Chinook return was this year for the cowie????
Its only a matter of time before the stamp is like the cowie, with the ever so fast growing amount of fisherman these days
As for a guy who fishes the Q, you cant say the Coho run is being depleted in the years you have fished there ????? with a Hatchery system that rivals most ???

You need to go out on the Jet boat you getting a little worked up

LOL ROTFLMFA

its been dead for a bit:( but there are some fish still around
wonder if its going to pick up???

Summersteel

I do fish slinky’s, have not fished them in a while back in the 80’s was when I first seen them and fished them I still prefer lead with surgical tubing
I carry about 8 with me still when I go just for those days when it’s grabby out there

See, they do get hung up less than lead!!:D

Obviously I do know something about them I have fished them for the last 12 – 15 years
So consider your self corrected

As for never fishing out of a jet boat that’s an assumption on your part
You should post the reason why I don’t like jets boats is cause I can’t afford one if you want to make more assumptions on this forum LMAO

Still tryin' to figure this statement out.:)

AS for slamming the business, you forget quickly as I stated I don’t have a problem with Nick or his company or other jet boats, my post target a certain individual
But whatever.. its . over now no big deal I guess $h!t happens

Glad you've seen the error of your ways & can move on.:)

So, it is O.K. to fish for steelhead in the river, many stacked like cord wood in the falls pool, but the Coho should be left alone to "finish their job"?? Funny, since there are 10x as many Coho as steelhead & they are 95% hatchery fish put there to be caught by fishermen, I don't think targeting them is going to hurt the run. I think you need to get a better understanding of the whole put & take hatchery concept.

Usually (winter) steelhead have lots more water to move around in and in my opinion are harder to target than Coho, when you can see them holing in pools 10feet deep

Harder to target, true, but there are a LOT less of them.They also hold in the river for months so more people can target them more often. I don't doubt that many steelies are hooked multiple times during the winter. The stress takes its toll & with every hookup, the chances for mortality increase. Bottom line is sportsfishermen have a much greater impact on steelhead than we do on salmon in the rivers, if for no other reason, the numbers of fish. A 10-15% mortality rate on a run of 50000 coho is going to have far less impact than a 10-15% mortality rate on a run of 3000 steelhead. What it comes down to is every time we as sportsfishermen hook a fish, any fish, in the river, there is a potential for harm. It is all part of the risk/reward scenario that is fishing.

As for hurting the run, its only my opinion like I stated to let them finish their job If you look at other rivers i.e. cowie you cant say that fishing hasn’t destroyed the run of Coho and Chinook even with a hatchery system on the river. Do you even know what the Chinook return was this year for the cowie????
Its only a matter of time before the stamp is like the cowie, with the ever so fast growing amount of fisherman these days
As for a guy who fishes the Q, you cant say the Coho run is being depleted in the years you have fished there ????? with a Hatchery system that rivals most ???

This is a topic for a whole other thread, but I just can't resist. Sounds like you are saying that sportfishing for salmon in the rivers has caused their numbers to decline dramatically[?] I think you have been grossly misinformed.[:0] Fishing for salmon on the Cowichan has been closed or severely restricted for years. ANY impact from sportfishing would be minimal at best. The problems on the Cowie are far greater than sportfishermen. Habitat loss, poor ocean survival, commercial interception & FN netting have caused more problems for the salmon than sportsfishing ever did. The biggest problem seems to be a lack of interest from DFO to utilize this great river to its awesome potential. I'm afraid indifference could be what spells an end for the salmon & steelhead on the cowie, not sportfishing.:(

As for the Big Q, ocean survival is one of the big problems there. The chinook returns have been very good the last few years, the coho not so much. As for sportsfishing, well, there are only about 200 yards of river open to fishing below the hatchery now, so I really don't think the guys crowded in there are responsible for the decline in coho numbers. Once the fish make it through the little gauntlet into the hatchery, they are either held for broodstock or turned over to the natives. Anything allowed to go upriver is deemed surplus by the hatchery & strictly controlled. Even with all the guys fishing from the beaches now,their impact is negligible on the overall return. The hatchery program at the Q is but a shadow of what it once was. It is understaffed & underfunded but still does a great job with their minimal resources. Again, indifference from the powers that be is the biggest problem, not sportsfishing.

Will the Stamp salmon & steelhead runs ever end up like the Cowichan or Big Q?? Hard to say, but if it does, it won't be because of sportsfishermen. Sure, we have our impact on the resource, but it is negligible compared to other user groups & environmental conditions. We are always the last ones in line to get a shot at the fish. The situation is generally fubar'd by the time we get our turn, not because of it. I would say that winter steelhead are the one group of fish that sportsfishermen have the greatest impact on. Not a lot of the square hook boys around in the winter thankfully.:D

You need to go out on the Jet boat you getting a little worked up

I always get worked up about fishing!! It's what I love to do![8D] Will be gettin' out soon! hopefully the little lull in the winter runs ends soon!!:D

Back