Spare Tire Tip

casper5280

Crew Member
Just heard this one and thought I would pass it on. Get a spindle that matches the spindle on your trailer and mount that were you want your spare mounted. Now get a hub with all the bearing and seals, lug nuts and mount that to the tire and mount it on your spindle mount.
Now when you get a flat you knock the dust cap or bearing buddy off. Pull the cuter pin and nut (usually hand tight) Pull the tire and the hub all as one piece. Do the same with the spare and your done. No more rusty lug nuts and a whole lot quicker. Just need to carry a pair of pliers and a wrench and maybe a cuter pin, and some rubber gloves and a rag.

That's an awesome idea,casper. Can't tell ya how many times I've had trouble with alug nut that just won't crack!!

Sounds like a good idea, but like they say, the devil is in the details. I don't see how this will work if there are brakes involved. I check the wheel nuts once a year, so rust is not a problem. Lug nuts come of easy and I don't have to set the bearings.

Sounds like a good idea, but like they say, the devil is in the details. I don't see how this will work if there are brakes involved. I check the wheel nuts once a year, so rust is not a problem. Lug nuts come of easy and I don't have to set the bearings.

X2

Without brakes, this could be a simple no-brainer.

With brakes, oh my gawd:

5 minutes to find the jack
5 minutes to get the trailer up
5 minutes to change 5-6 lug nuts
5 minutes to drop the trailer back down and clean up

vs

5 minutes to remove the hub assembly
30 minutes struggling to fit the new brake drum over the worn brake shoes
5 minutes to bolt up the new drum
15 minutes to adjust the brakes with the new drum
30 minutes to wipe all the grease off my hands, my shoulders, my face, etc

F D

A lot easier to just apply marine grade never seize on the wheel lugs every spring and make sure the spare has air in it. I carry a complete set of bearings, seal, grease etc etc in my trailer mounted accessory/tool box.

Yes with brakes it would be a pain in the butt. This was for a no brake trailer. The other reason I thought it was a good idea was you also had the whole hub assembly with you if the bearing became a problem. Just thought it was a good idea so take it for what it is.

X2 on the never sieze. Coat em' good, they will rarely even get rusty, let alone get stuck. Check your bearings a couple times a year too.

X2

Without brakes, this could be a simple no-brainer.

With brakes, oh my gawd:

5 minutes to change 5-6 lug nuts
5 minutes to drop the trailer back down and clean up

vs

5 minutes to remove the hub assembly
30 minutes struggling to fit the new brake drum over the worn brake shoes
5 minutes to bolt up the new drum
15 minutes to adjust the brakes with the new drum
30 minutes to wipe all the grease off my hands, my shoulders, my face, etc

F D

45 minutes to put a drum on and adjust the brakes? Must be doing something wrong!
Dave

45 minutes to put a drum on and adjust the brakes? Must be doing something wrong!
Dave

Please explain... I've never timed myself (nor anybody else for that matter), but your 45 minute estimate seems quite reasonable, to me.
btw if it matters - 8.75x16.5 E 10-ply (~100-120 lbs each)

F D

Back