Sooke

Scalper66

Hey everyone knew to the thread here, we are planning on comming over to sooke for fishing fri,sat but have never been there , we have a small 16" alum with a twenty Hp , has low freeboard on the back was wondering if this boat is suitable for any of these fishing grounds boat is equipped with down riggers and fish finder any info would be greatfully received , more of a lake 16 foot alum but iv been told sEcretery island is close to the harbour?

Ummm. Yes and no.
There is no one size fits all answer there.
You can go out some days and its as flat a p... on a plate half an hour later you could be fighting 4 footers.
Going back in from Secretary to the harbour can be some of the worst depending on winds and tide.
It can get ugly there.
ESPECIALLY if you have low free board on the transom.
Why not just rent a Hourston or Double Eagle over at Peddar Bay?
But then you have Race Rocks to deal with there......
Dan.

Hey thanks for the info been checking the weather forcast lookin good for fri, is there any area of sooke u would recommend for a small boat, fishin for pinks and socks mainly

Hey Scalper 66
The other option if you are looking to rent is the boys at Silver streak are renting some of their tin rigs, they are under lucky rentals. Not sure what they are charging but I have seen a few of them out there. They are based out of Sooke. Just like Jtw said it can be pancake flat one minute and then nasty the next so you really have to watch to see what is coming.

Ya we don't really have the cash to rent one right now , so guess well give it a go and if wind or water picks up well just head towards shore

Hey thanks for the info been checking the weather forcast lookin good for fri, is there any area of sooke u would recommend for a small boat, fishin for pinks and socks mainly

No.
You can look at the weather all you want, conditions change fast some days out there especially if you have low free board on your transom.
The waves going back into the harbour seem to funnel into the area of the spit and magnify themselves.
I've gone around the corner going out and hit 6-8 footers,
sometimes you can scoot along the shore and get out.
But you better know where and how.
You can be standing on the shore on the spit looking out it will be flat as a pancake yet a mile out at the fist tide line it can be a ripper of a tide, rip somedays of 3 or 4 footers short in between, other days a barely a ripple.
Its hard to explain, you need to be able to figure it out.
Having said that some days you'll be fine.
Wanna guess what day?
A small boat with low free board is not suitable for Sooke.

In my young days with my 17 Double Eagle I have taken a foot or so of water over the bow, it hits the windshield, is a nice shade of green up and over the top of the hardtop.
The boat shakes as it comes up out of the wave only to get buried again and again.
You get to your spot and you are on your knees in the back of the boat getting your gear out, if you stood up you would get ejected from the boat.
An hour and a half later calm...
Dohboy and I came in from winter spring fishing 3 or so years ago and the butt end of the boat was getting lifted higher and higer the closer we got in, 25-30 degee angle I bet
Not comfy for a pair of xxx's like us.
Just had to play with the throttle all the way in and around the corner.
It was flat calm when we left the tin shack.
Dan.

So coming over where are you coming from??? if your coming over on the ferry then what you spend on that damn thing would alomost cover the cost of a rental LOL LOL damn bc ferries look at my post in the reports in sooke .

good luck wolf

Scalper: welcome to the forum and do take what the boys are telling you seriously. The currents on the South Island can be and often are nuts. Add in a little wind and you are in ****. I've taken water over the bow in my Zeta-19' moving dead slow.

Maybe launch at Tulista near Sidney or fish Brentwood Bay. But then again, if you're going to fish Saanich Inlet you may as well fish Burrard Inlet.

Tough call here; be careful.

Back