Some guys just cant be helped..

how times have changed. in the days of yor, the USCG actually carried spare gas cans onboard their boats. a simple call on the CB, yep they used to listen to it, would bring them to'yah. all they asked was a 'donation' so they could help the next guy.

now, they run at'yah with their 40 footer, machine guns mounted, loaded and maned as if you were doing extreme damage to something with all of the rods sticking out of their holders. had a RIB come racing at me in february with 4 kids packin'. wanted to know if the USCG had ever boarded my vessel. i pointed to the 2009 USCG AUX inspection sticker, the lead kid talked into his sleeve and they left.

personally, i like the old style USCG that was actually looking out for the boating public. i think the canadian CG fits that model in todays world, more power to'um.

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

quote:What an idiot...is it that Trophy from Montana? I saw 2 boats from MT in the marina....

No Dave-- he and his wife were fishing from a tinny, about 18ft.

BTW- Gerry and I got a awesome whale show in Goletas. A humpback using a 35ft log for a scratching post! And the whale had not read the Fisheries Notice that said he must keep 100 meters away from boats :D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

HAHAHAHA....I didn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes at that one!!

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/canucksfanatic44

I stop to drift jig and after a while notice I'm getting closer to another boat. First I figure they're just fishing too, then I notice they start waving. Oh well, I pull up my line and go see what's up. Upon pulling up to the boat it's apparent they're totally pissed. "What's wrong" I enquire. Motor won't start captain drunkenly slurs. Started at first, but then stalled. Kept trying to start it now the battery's dead. Are you anchored, I ask. What do you mean, they say. Do you have an anchor on the rope attached to your bow. Barely could figure out what I was asking. No, they say. Then I ask why is your bow line taught. Again they are dumbfounded, no Idea what I'm talking about. Pull on your bowline and see if it moves. They do and it doesn't. They still cant figure out what's going on. Your bowlines caught in your prop, I tell them. They find this hard to believe, but drunkenly accept what happened. Now I figure it's way more effort than its worth to get these clowns motor to start, so I give them a tow.

So much for my relaxing afternoons fish. As we approach the harbor breakwater I ask them if the have a paddle. All confused they finally find it. All right, I say you can manage from here, and I loose the tow line. I figured these clowns could paddle the rest of the way in. That was the least they deserved for being such morons. I also didn't trust them to not hit another boat while towing them in. I go to the ramp get my vehicle, and start pulling my boat out. By this time I see them start coming in to their slip right beside the ramp. They paddle into their slip and the captain gets off to tie up his boat. He's so drunk he does a complete header into the harbor. Perfect end to the day.

Ok this is priceless and scary. Fishing a flat calm afternoon at Otter Point. An open centre console aluminum boat from Alberta with 2 guys and a dog are about to put on a show. Nothing is going on for anyone then they hook a decent fish. They have a 85 Susuki main and a 6hp kicker, they are trolling on the 85 main. They make circles around their fish as it is played, boat in gear the whole time. They have it on for a long time, so everyone is watching. Circling, circling on and on. I'm about 150 feet from them when the flasher comes out of the water and the guy steering grabs the net. Just has he reaches to net the boat lurches up on plane and immediately does a hard over. The boat is at full throttle with the helm hard over. The only thing I can see in the boat is the dog up at the bow...its getting a severe cases of dizziness I'm sure. Finally after a half dozen loops, an arm reaches up from the deck and pulls the throttle back. The 2 guys get up (how they stayed in the boat I don't know) the guy who had the rod is grabbing his back...I'm sure he got thrown hard into the transom. The other guy says, wheres the rod. They find the rod on the floor...the fish is still there and they land it! They start laughing at what just happened. I yelled over not funny guys, you better come up with a better drill than that...if you had of gone in the water your boat would have cut you to pieces. We passed them a while later trolling on the kicker. The guy netting had bumped the throttle of the main with the end of the net handle. The scary thing was that if he had hydraulic steering the boat would have come straight at me..as it was bow on when it first jumped up on plane. I would have had no time to avoid a full speed head on collision. One minute its a beautiful flat calm day not a care in the world, the next minute your in the water waiting to be rescued... all out of stupidity.

When I still stored my boat in Courtenay in the late '90s we would tow it up to Port Hardy and head out from there. The Port Hardy Marina was a busy place with lots of sporties heading out. We headed north one afternoon with Hakai Pass in mind but we quickly decided a late afternoon run north was not in the cards so we made for Bull Harbour for the night and we would run north in the a.m. In the morning it was flat with a good forecast so we decided to stop in at Rivers Inlet to see how the action was. I tied up at Dawson's and was talking to a fish cop who informed me there was more than 100 boats fishing the head of the inlet. To much traffic for me and my pal so we decided to continue north. Just as we were leaving a guy in an open 18-19 footer asks us if were headed back to Port Hardy. I said no, we were going north. He wanted to follow us back to Hardy as he didn't know the way. When I asked him how he had got to Rivers he replied "the same way, I just followed some guys" No charts, No gps, No sounder.....just a desire to fish!!

I was comming in from Swiftsure in a light mist late one afternoon heading for Port Renfrew. A couple of miles east of the closure zone we see what looks like someone waiving a paddle for help. We go over and it is a group of 6 Pacheedaht young men who were trying to get to Port Renfrew after paddling across to Neah Bay a few days before. they are in a 25' or so dugout canoe. They asked which way Port Renfrew was. I asked them what they thought and they pointed toward Nit Nat. They were lost with no radio, no gps, no cell phone and no compass. From their location you could only see an outline of the shore. We towed them near the shore at Logan and called Butch who came and got them.

Back