soft tops and snow

tubbed out

So the last few days have been stressfull , wondering if my soft top on my boat will hold the weight of the snow .

So do you have any ways to protect you boat ?

I have been sweeping of off often

It wont fit in the shop

I was thinking fitted boat cover 250.00 at least
or the portable garage thing they sell at costco 299.00on sale

any thought and or ideas would be great

hope to head out sat with the wife

tubbed

I have left my foul weather soft top up year round and just kept it clear and have not noticed any harmful effects on the rig.

Where I am on a hillside exposed to direct North and North Westerly winds I don't how the portable garage would handle sudden very strong gusts , I have visions of it zooming away with parts of my boat entangled in it.

AL

quote:Originally posted by tubbed out

So the last few days have been stressfull , wondering if my soft top on my boat will hold the weight of the snow .

So do you have any ways to protect you boat ?

I have been sweeping of off often

It wont fit in the shop

I was thinking fitted boat cover 250.00 at least
or the portable garage thing they sell at costco 299.00on sale

any thought and or ideas would be great

hope to head out sat with the wife

tubbed

One lil trick is to have a ceramic space heater set up inside with the thermostat set up for warm. it heats up the inside---keeping it dry...and heats the canvas up..and melts the snow----or do the same thing with a tarp and have the heater on inside the boat...with the heater on---that way all the snow melts and runs off your canvas. ..or....collapse the canvas and bring your rig into the shop.

Remember to 1: make sure you don't blow your boat up. 2: NOT set your boat on fire 3: mount your ceramic space heater in a clear area on the floor of the boat in a central location. *warm air rises*

My friend has a thermostat on his and it keeps the inside of his boat at 10 degrees celcius...perfect to keep things dry and warm.

His boat has a canvas top with drop down curtains, and he snaps everything together.

I am doing what FM said. Boat is in the water.I keep a ceramic heater in the cockpit.The heat rises all the way into the bimini enclosure.All surfaces are staying clear.Might even help the engine compartment from getting too cold. Although I keep a bulb in there.
I am heading down to the bay quick here to check on things. i have thermometers to monitor things.

I bought a 28 by 12 portable from mid land liqudators in nanaimo I anchor it with two ropes on each side to the trailer so it does'nt move in any wind storms.keeps the boat clean and dry all year.In the snow i have to go out side every so often with a broom and shake the snow off the roof from the inside.But thats no big deal.

I built a 10x30 shed covered by a 30x30 tarp, it is 11.5' high at the peak. Cost me $300, was the best money I've spent.I did sweep it off the morning after the big dump, it had 10" of the white stuff on it.Spend a few bucks to keep the weather off your boat,your boat will love you for it.

quote:Originally posted by knucklebuster

I am doing what FM said. Boat is in the water.I keep a ceramic heater in the cockpit.The heat rises all the way into the bimini enclosure.All surfaces are staying clear.Might even help the engine compartment from getting too cold. Although I keep a bulb in there.
I am heading down to the bay quick here to check on things. i have thermometers to monitor things.
went and checked. 38 degrees in engine compartment. Heater is keeping snow off but boat is covered in icicles. Nothing frozen inside(using one of those de humidifier things)
So far , so good.

Purchased a $300 boat shed from Capital Iron for my 18ft Double Eagle. Shed is tan colour, 9ft 6in at peak height, 10 ft wide and 20 ft long. Comes with sides and front and back doors/ends. Pretty good quality and metal construction. When it loads with 4-6 inches of snow I remove it.

boats like 2 be dry , i see so many really nice boats out there parked with no trap or cover . gives me goose bumps thinking of it . guess i`m jealose wishing that sweet ride was mine as i would have a nice home for her . lol scottyboy

I invested in a full button down, heavy duty material, all weather, all year, travel cover. The cost is around $1,000 for 18' boat, works like a charm, never any worries of moisture buildup because it also has side vents for fresh circulation. I've got the name of the upholsterer if anyone is interested, she did a fantastic job at half the price.
An RV coil heater inside keeps out the moisture and adds a few degrees of heat. Big bonus with the coil is MUCH le$$ amperage draw than ceramic heaters.
I have had to sweep snow off the top a few times, just in case.
I/O is winterized using non toxic RV antifreeze, run through the leg.
PinchMe

Back