Sockeye

Red Monster

I know folks on the west side of the island catch socks in the ocean, but what about elsewhere on the way to the Fraser River?

Knuckles, are you able to target any socks?

Does anyone try off Richmond? I'm not sure if this area is even open. Ironically, it's usually closed to sporties so saltwater fisherman around Vancouver who would like to try for socks need to visit the island or move into the river. :(

This is info from other forum:

"Effective 00:01 hrs Thursday August 3, you may retain two (2) sockeye per day
in that portion of the Fraser River from the CPR Bridge at Mission, BC upstream
to Alexandra Bridge.

Anglers are reminded that fishing is allowed during daylight hours only from
one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Check your local newspaper
for these times.

Landstrom Bar Closure - The area described below remains closed until October
31, 2006:

Those waters of the Fraser River inside a line beginning at a fishing boundary
sign on the eastern end of Landstrom Bar, then to a fishing boundary sign on
the opposite bank, then to a fishing boundary sign on the southern end of Croft
Island, then westerly to a fishing boundary sign on the nearest bank of the
river, then following the river bank to the beginning point.

Variation Order No. 2006-374.

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal
waters of British Columbia. This includes all species of fish in the Fraser
River.

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus Lake sockeye.

until they say it's closed maybe 1 week maybe 2 weeks"

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

I know folks on the west side of the island catch socks in the ocean, but what about elsewhere on the way to the Fraser River?

Knuckles, are you able to target any socks?

Does anyone try off Richmond? I'm not sure if this area is even open. Ironically, it's usually closed to sporties so saltwater fisherman around Vancouver who would like to try for socks need to visit the island or move into the river. :(

I'll give you an accurate snapshot of a fleet of 15 guide boats fishing Sat. August 5 from West Van to Sandheads.

Here ya go.
Hello folks.

Thought I'd chip in. I was fishing today...not for myself, but my guests, a fun family of 4..it's always one of the cool things to get out and return to ones roots every now and then outside of personal fishing with friends and family---and guiding it was.

So...guiding I went.

We covered miles and miles and miles of water, getting started off Point Grey, heading to the QA, trolling south to the North Arm, back to the Pt. Grey bellbuoy, to the QB, to the 14 th Street Pier, to the QB, to the QC off Stanley Park..and NADA.

Then again, we weren't alone, radioing around and checking with all the guide boats, listening to all the conversations on the radio, and making a few calls on the cell phone all echoed the same message...there ain't NO FISH...everyone was spread out off the mouth as far south as Sandheads, the middle arm, the North Arm, inshore, offshore... all over the Vancouver harbour..not 1 of the 15 guide boats out there had anything to report.

YIKES!

I had out the binoculars, keeping a close watch for fish on, etc..and nothing.

A few of the guide boats were off Sandheads, the T10, the North Arm, and armed and locked and loaded for Sockeye...6 rods out, 18 flashers, etc etc..and NADA! Small schools of Sockeye were visible on the mud flats, but it's way to shallow to fish for them.

I know of 1 dandy wild Coho that was released, and 1 large peahead chinook hooked off the QA at 100 feet, but otherwise, not a keeper fish was landed...even by all the boats fishing the West Van shoreline.

Save your $$$ Saltchuck Sporties, and go buy yourself a couple of burgers and a six pack, and you'll come out ahead.

Oh yeah. Lines were in the water at 6, and we hit the dock at 1 pm.

Ok, so it is indeed open to retain socs off the mouth of the Fraser, but the early socks are simply heading straight up the river. With the huge return that's expected, perhaps the socks will eventually stack up off Richmond so we can cath some. That's probably about the time DFO will close things for us Sporties in the salt :(, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Just once I'd like to catch some socs right here in Vancouver. :) Lot's of folks fish the river, but that's not my thing. Maybe I should try it and catch some socs for a change.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming, I'll try to stay on top of what's going on, and hopefully things will improve for everyone soon. Nice weather for fishing though. [8D]

Just got in from 3 days floating around in the gulf islands. It was a family thing so no fishing.BUT , I was all over the place and had my eye out for fishers. Active Pass, Pender Bluffs. No one around.
Talked to some fishers in Ganges who said they were looking for socks around Pender but nota.Was in Montague this morning and talked to another guy but he was asking others where to find some. Didn't seem to be any great gathering of boats anywhere special. Going in a buddies boat next sunday. He says he knows where to catch them.
Got a stray a couple of years ago in Sansum Narrows while spring fishing.Bonus fish.
I'll let you know how next weekend goes.

I think the tides this week have been perfect for the Socks to head straight up the River during predominantly daylight hours floods. Look at a tide graph to see what I mean. The numbers of jumpers in and around the river mouth seems to have been growing slowly and steadily the last week. Maybe they will start to school up outside the river mouths over the next week as the ebbs run later into the daylight hours. Just a theory. Took a cruise tonight out to Sandheads and T10 then back into ladner out Canoe pass a ways. I bet you could find some of the Southern route fish out around T14 next week, if you are coming up from the South. Seemed to be lots coming up Canoe passage this afternoon, especially considering that the mego schools are not even here yet. Saw at least 8 boats in the Shady island snag box this afternoon hookin Socks and Springs.

Was out at the Coal Port Saturday .....got a couple of feeder springs about 5lbs or so ,which we released ..saw a few socks jumping but had no takers ...was a slow day ..maybe next week will be better :)

Spent a good part of the day yesterday at Pender Bluffs. Nothing!
Saw some jumpers early then zip. Masses of something in the sonar at about 60' and deeper. had 2 hits .I think I had release clip too tight.
Incredible orca show
Grabbed two lings on way home so wasn't a loss

Back