Sockeye gone

Fished the sandheads again tonight, still tons of sockeye there. Two large schools just off the bell buoy.

Fished for less than 2 hours up until sunset, landed two and lost one. Both caught at 40ft. Had one line at 70ft and no hits. Just looked for the jumpers, putted around them until I found the school on my sonar and got bites right away.

My freezer is getting full!

quote:Originally posted by trendsetter

Fished the sandheads again tonight, still tons of sockeye there. Two large schools just off the bell buoy.

Fished for less than 2 hours up until sunset, landed two and lost one. Both caught at 40ft. Had one line at 70ft and no hits. Just looked for the jumpers, putted around them until I found the school on my sonar and got bites right away.

I never made it out for some local fishing yet. Thought that the sockeye fishery closed September 19. Is it still open in the ocean?

Yes, it is still open in area 29 however the fraser river is CLOSED as of yesterday, Sunday the 19th.

From DFO: "Recreational fishing remains open for sockeye retention in the marine areas
until further notice and in the tidal and non-tidal waters of the Fraser River
until September 19th as described in FN0794 and FN0795. Please refer to the
specific Fishery Notices for other areas."

quote:Originally posted by trendsetter

Good to hear large numbers of them are still around. Where do come from on your boat? Launch in Steveston? I come from Vanier park but it's a long haul to get down there. at least a 30-45 min ride depending on the wind.

quote:Originally posted by bondo
Good to hear large numbers of them are still around. Where do come from on your boat? Launch in Steveston? I come from Vanier park but it's a long haul to get down there. at least a 30-45 min ride depending on the wind.

I'm coming out of the North arm and it takes me about the same 30-60 minutes depending on the waves.

I can usualy only get in about 2 hours of fishing before it gets too dark. I fished the mouth of the north arm with good results up until about a week ago. Now it seems the only place they are left in abundance is the south arm / sandheads.

Still marking lots</u> of Sockeye on the sounder-a bit deeper than weeks past and no jumpers but they are there.

T-10, mouth of the North Arm and even around the QB Marker not hitting though although we didn't try too hard.

Hooked one decent Spring all day and lost it to a Seal @ the QA-I know it was a Spring because of the head shakes and no Sockeye would take a Herring that big-which is why we were using Herring.

Well...tried the North Arm last night, Sandheads this morning all the way to T10. Didn't see a single jumper, no schools on the sonar, no bites on the rods.

I'm thinking the title of this thread is now correct.

Here's to a fantastic sockeye season!

Now, bring on the chums:)

Just a little FYI and fun gesture re: our BC sockeye!!

BC Sockeye hits NY ....I sent one of my ocean caught Sockeye ( whole Frozen) on a plane to New York this afternoon. Apparently it got through customs easily ( no passport needed!!) Its now about 37,000 feet over the mid west somewhere. It will be the feature seafood at a big apartment rooftop BBQ tomorrow - looking over manhattan. Little bit of a plug for tourism BC !!

To the topic of the title of this thread ....Yep that sockeye is gone !!

Back