Sockeye forecast for Port Alberni

Tigger

I'm doing a little planning for this summer and I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about the forecast for the sockeye run in July at Port Alberni. The last two years have been closed so could this be the year.:)

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. I would plan for somewhere else. Port Alberni could sure use the business though.I do not think we are going to see an opening for sockeye this year.
Maybe some of the guys around here may know different?

Depends on in-season numbers I believe?

Take only what you need.

if theres anything sockeye this year whats the secret to catching them? We have a good run that goes threw to the frasier but can never get any.

.......and not more than one rod in the water at a time....;) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Well that's not what I was hoping to hear. I have fished this fishery for 15 years with my kids and other families and had a lot of fun and good memories. Other fisheries seem so unpredictable right now but then there is something unexplainable that draws me back to the chuck to hunt the elusive salmon.

The latest I heard for Sporties was start season with 2 per day inside Chup pt and 4 per day outside Chup pt if you can find them . Prove me wrong!!

I would make your plans for other fishing..the only opening for Sox's last year was the fraser run and that was just one day when they(DFO) realized .. they made a mistake!!!..Closed it immediately. Make you plans for other fish/fishing and if Sockeye are open it is a bonus. I have also seenn them close the Sox's season midway...if you holidays are beyond that date..Oh well sorry for your luck..DFO would say..

So far the forecast is between 250-350, so maybe a little sport opportunity there, but it will be small if any.

Back