So lets rally the legislature!

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Weedeater,

The fishfarms are 'not breaking any rules' because the DFO and our Provincial govt's changed the rules to accommodate them.

If you or I polluted like they do; we would be in jail!
If you or I routinely/knowingly introduced non-indigenous species into our marine ecosystems; we would be in jail!

I can't, for the life of me, understand how folks like yourself who used to take part in the bounty our beloved wild Pacific salmon provided - over 100-thousand/tons annually of chemical-free, disease-free salmon - can so readily resign yourselves to the idea that this foreign owned industry that generates less than 2000 jobs here in BC is here to stay.

The open net-pen industry needs to be moved to Closed-containment; it's that simple!

I, for one, will NEVER capitulate to the notion that our Wild Pacific Salmon are DONE and that it's OK that our once-proud industry continues to be synthesized by foreigners and collusive politicians.

Standing for Wild Salmon,

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance
I DIDNT SAY COMMERCIAL FISHING WAS DONE BY ANY MEANS, NOR DO I CONDONE THE OPEN PEN SYSTEM, BUT I CANT SEE THEM JUST PACKING UP AND LEAVING, AS I SAID WE MUST GET THEM ON A NEW PROGRAMME, NOT ASK THEM TO LEAVE.
I CANT EVEN IMMAGINE THE RAMIFICATIONS OF ALLOWING A COMAPNY, RIGHT OR WRONG , TO BUILD INFRASTRUCTURE , BUILD A COMPANY, AND FINALLY COME TO THE CONCLUSION 15 YEARS LATER, THAT IT MIGHT NOT BE SUCH A GOOD IDEA , AND MAKE THEM JUST LEAVE, WITHOUT GIVING SOME OPTIONS AS TO WHAT CAN BE DONE FOR THEM TO STAY WITHOUT CAUSING DAMMAGE.
THE MILLIONS SPENT IN COURT AND REIMBURSEMENTS COULD GO TO FINDING A SOLUTION
CLOSED PENS WOULD SOLVE MUCH OF THAT I AGREE.

I FONDLY REMEMBER THE 70S AND 80S WITH HUNDREDS OF BOATS WORKING OUT OF HARDY AND THE INLETS AND WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT AGAIN..

BACK ON TOPIC HERE I WAS MERLY STATING THE STRONGER THE GROUP THE BETTER THE RESULT.
AND OFFERING SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS WE HAVE GO MUTCH FARTHER THAN JUST COMPLAINING ABOUT THEM.

Ok so if you are going to ban net pen aquaculture you will most likely have to ban traditional land based farms. By that I mean potatoes, corn wheat etc. As it turns out they are the largest cause of dead zones in the ocean due to fertilizer run off causing huge oxygen depleted areas in the ocean in which nothing can live. Good luck protesting that one.

Our gov has approved many fish farm applications without looking at any long term effects.They've also involved first nations by guaranteeing employment.Once you do that it's probably extreemly difficult to change.

As to original post,there is a group called Sportfishing Defence Alliance
a group concerned with conservation and equal fishing opportunities,if you haven't already,check it out at
http://defendsportfishing.com/

Here's an idea for a rally at the legislature.
I went to an event last September in Port McNeill called the "First Annual Gordon Campbell is Killing Our Salmon Run". It was put on be a few concerned citizens and was a gas. The reason for the name was because Gordon Campbell and the Liberals were the ones who lifted the moratorium on fish farms in BC.

It went like this;
Everyone started at a local stream and ran/walked a three km "migration route" up and down the town's sidewalks to the ocean. Along the "migration route" each participant encountered a number of "salmon farms" which in this case were pickups parked on the street providing information about fish farm effects and "sea lice" in the form of 5 lb. sandbags. As you passed each "fish farm" you are given a couple of "sea lice" sand bags and had to continue on your "out-migration" carrying you sea lice. Last year there were five "fish farms" so if you made it to the ocean, you were carrying 10 "sea lice" sand bags totaling 50 lbs! It was a real eye opener and an ingenious way to demonstrate what wild salmon smolts are up against as they pass salmon farms.
At the finish line near the ocean, participants were rewarded with wild salmon and halibut burgers, a video presentation of Twyla Roscovich's "Calling from the Coast" and a brief update of the 2007 Broughton sea lice research by Alexandra Morton. There were also "Wild Salmon, Backbone of the Coast" t-shirts and hoodies for sale along with a petition to Gordon Campbell to sign.
The weather was bad with heavy rain which may have had an effect on the turn-out, but spirits were high amongst the 60 or so participants. The organizers are planning to put on another one this fall. It would be great if this idea spread to more communities.

Back