Snelling a circle hook

jaymasta

I have been reading a lot of info on circle hooks and how to use them properly. One of the things that has come up time and time again is Snelling over the usual knot is very important for them to work properly,I was using a Palomer until now, I still don't fully understand exactly how it makes a difference but figured i would set out and learn how to snell a hook properly. Well after many pokes, scrapes and sore fingers a few beers and a couple of hours sitting around watching youtube videos and following diagrams (there are a few different ways to set these up) i think I finally found a way that works pretty well for me. Once you get the hang of it they are actually quite easy, it's getting over the initial confusion that took so long for me. Anyways here's a couple pics of one of my hooks once I started understanding and getting the hang of it. I now have 6 of these ready to go for my next attempt at halibut, I am working on a 2 hook setup next. Any suggestions/changes are welcomed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 508
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 512
That looks pretty good. I have gone to just using crimps and heavy leader which is easier for me.

be careful if the eye is not closed
the first wrap of mono may end up cutting
needle knot is easy to do and stronger

i use the up eye Owner 5178, 10/0 circle hooks. that gives the line a straight pull against the shank. snelling is not difficult and is probably the best way to attach any hook you are going to use. i hooked 7 halibut during our short season all on circle hooks. each hook was fully engaged, and all fish were boated. the trick is to leave your rod in the holder. if the rod tip is pulled down turn the reel handle to see if you feel the fish. if the fish is there, get the rod out of the holder and go to work. the commercial sector who invented this hook did all of us a service in our quest for halibut. but first you need to learn how to use these hooks.

Haven't heard if a needle knot yet, the idea of the snell is to grasp the hook by the shank not the eye and it is supposed to help guide the hook into the fish, I don't quite understand that part. Does a needle knot grasp around the shank similar to the snell or is it just a knot through the eye of the hook?

Haven't heard if a needle knot yet, the idea of the snell is to grasp the hook by the shank not the eye and it is supposed to help guide the hook into the fish, I don't quite understand that part. Does a needle knot grasp around the shank similar to the snell or is it just a knot through the eye of the hook?

This is similar to a knot that steel headers use, the mainline is on the shank of the hook and forces a better hook set.

My circles have a barrel swivel crimped on and I tie to that. I use J hook stingers on my rig and the J hooks almost always get the fish. Like 5/6 times or so

Dam, I went with the 60lb on advise from a tackle shop so if I get caught on something I can cleat off and break the line and hope that it breaks at the mono, only losing the hook vs the spreader bar and weight, I run 30lb mono on my weight off the spreader bar trying to achieve the same outcome if it gets caught up it breaks off and I lose as little as possible. This is all random suggestions that I have found and been made to me from many sources, I still haven't caught a halibut yet, hopefully I'm not doing something to out of place lol.
I set my weight about 8-10 inches longer then the leader.

100lb mono is minimum!!!

Back