Smallest boat for Vancouver to Victoria and back on infrequent basis ?

Yes, I like to try go around Bowen Island first, then try Vancouver Island. 12' RHIB. With Van Island, I have no idea the furthest journey between gas pumps. what's your best guess? Thank you, I really like what your wrote.
lol. a 10 year old thread, really ?
anyway minimum to get to VIC from VAN is an 18 foot boat. it has enough fuel/food/space etc to get you there comfortably. I carried 2 aux tanks and burned about $35 worth of fuel (probably about $70 today) going to nanaimo once i hit the ocean.
overall i get 6mpg on my 115HP and filled up 75 gallons for a 2 day victoria trip going down from ladysmith and nanaimo and stopping by the gardens - they have a dinghy dock. $40 for the marina fees overnighting in the boat.
also haha - smallest boat for crossing from europe to north america is likely to be a 40 foot catamaran. but will see.

Last edited:
Those bathtubs were once a year with many chase boats and coast guard participation.
Yes, absolutely Bathtub crossing .. so then slowly going up the coastline to Port Hardy, be fun and easy, provided there's fuel stops of no great distances, or my Rib be full of gas cans. Or drag a 'fuel raft' along with me. How about following Ferries, in their wake, be smooth and help be close. Seeking options, is all. I'm new to small rubber boat in Ocean water. I hate to be a rescue victim, right off the hop.

Yes, absolutely Bathtub crossing .. so then slowly going up the coastline to Port Hardy, be fun and easy, provided there's fuel stops of no great distances, or my Rib be full of gas cans. Or drag a 'fuel raft' along with me. How about following Ferries, in their wake, be smooth and help be close. Seeking options, is all. I'm new to small rubber boat in Ocean water. I hate to be a rescue victim, right off the hop.
i suggest you stick to lakes/rivers - pitt, alouette, stave, harrison, fraser river etc and deep cove/surrounding areas from port moody. when i had my 11 ft inflatable it was a ton of fun bombing around for a few years in the near shore and lake/river zones. there is a ton of things to see like waterfalls and stuff you can see without going into the ocean. leave the oceans for bigger boats when you get your 18 footer.
important thing to remember is the boat has to be big enough with enough freeboard and payload to handle the water you are going in. a 12 foot is not going to handle ocean crossings well. what it will do well is near coastal so go bomb around vancouver and surrounding areas. you can even go to the okanagan for a ton of fun in the smaller lakes. a raft to carry fuel is not a good idea either.

lol. a 10 year old thread, really ?
anyway minimum to get to VIC from VAN is an 18 foot boat. it has enough fuel/food/space etc to get you there comfortably. I carried 2 aux tanks and burned about $35 worth of fuel (probably about $70 today) going to nanaimo once i hit the ocean.
overall i get 6mpg on my 115HP and filled up 75 gallons for a 2 day victoria trip going down from ladysmith and nanaimo and stopping by the gardens - they have a dinghy dock. $40 for the marina fees overnighting in the boat.
also haha - smallest boat for crossing from europe to north america is likely to be a 40 foot catamaran. but will see.

i suggest you stick to lakes/rivers - pitt, alouette, stave, harrison, fraser river etc and deep cove/surrounding areas from port moody. when i had my 11 ft inflatable it was a ton of fun bombing around for a few years in the near shore and lake/river zones. there is a ton of things to see like waterfalls and stuff you can see without going into the ocean. leave the oceans for bigger boats when you get your 18 footer.
important thing to remember is the boat has to be big enough with enough freeboard and payload to handle the water you are going in. a 12 foot is not going to handle ocean crossings well. what it will do well is near coastal so go bomb around vancouver and surrounding areas. you can even go to the okanagan for a ton of fun in the smaller lakes. a raft to carry fuel is not a good idea either.
Oh Yes, for many yrs, I've owned regular boats, and had much fun exploring and having fun on lakes. I've lived on the Harrison Lake, towed boats to to many lakes Pitt Lake, Allouette Lake, Okanagan Lake, have become boring to me now. I've also have had much experience/adventure's on the ocean. It's more wild, crazy and mysterious, is what I like. I think try going around Bowen Island, once I get used to this Rhib. My buddy and I, main objective is underwater/beach, metal detecting Historical areas, with water access. I'm so tired of signs that say 'No parking, No overnight parking, Closed, Lot Full, Reservations, etc. The old days were way less restrictive, now is a rat race, too many rules, like living in a zoo. Also have done away with Diving Air Cylinders, with a newly constructed 12v Surface Air Supply, for two divers. 12ah Li-ion batteries, easily charged quickly, solar or not at all. Weekend diving remotely, 10 batteries offer 10+ hrs dive time, if sunny, even more. So there is a viable plan to have a lot of 'fun adventure' with a slight degree of danger/risk. A larger Rhib, as we advance. I like this Forum.. it's very interesting' Thank you.

Back