Singing the E10 Blues

I honestly don't know how those Zipwakes would have been on the Orca...this is literally the first Seasport I have ever set foot on so I don't have much to compare the ride to. On top of that the Orca had a big single and the Seasport has twins, so it could be that twins tend to balance the ride out more. All of this technology (ZipWake, Optimus360, Seastation) is completely new to me so I'm feeling my way around. I have throttled up on the twins and forgot to turn on the Zipwake power and the boat still seemed pretty stable. If I had tried that on the Orca it would have been get out the rosary beads because the boat wouldn't have let me get away with that.

On the first test drive I took on the Kodiak, the NMI guy was running the boat with Zipwakes in "auto" and I purposely got up and moved around the boat...there was almost zero effect on trim....the Zipwakes reacted automatically to adjust...there's a gyro in there that reacts to both pitch and roll

The helmsman did a hard' over panic mode turn to show the "recovery" ...there was a bit of lag (boat leaning hard to port) which he promptly adjusted in manual mode

If you do a search, people who have them installed say it's the best $$ they ever dropped into that hole in the water so there's that....it would be interesting to see how they perform on an Orca with a big single because that's the squirreliest boat i've ever run

Are you running twins on your 24?

I am running a single 250

OK, this is my first times running twins but they seem to balance out a boat better....intuitively it seems like they would by spreading out the thrust and pushing weight out towards the deadrise...maybe folks with both single and twins history can chime in but noted you're running a big single on your 24

Can you take a picture of the stern of the boat next to show the install of the zipwakes on the website they look like they take up a lot of space. I would interested in seeing how they are installed

This is a boat with 8'6" beam so even though the full tabs and their orientation isn,t in the pictures you can get the general idea of length and how they’re situated on the sternIMG_7379(1).jpg IMG_7380(1).jpg

OK, this is my first times running twins but they seem to balance out a boat better....intuitively it seems like they would by spreading out the thrust and pushing weight out towards the deadrise...maybe folks with both single and twins history can chime in but noted you're running a big single on your 24
Twins are the way to go!

Twins are the way to go!
You have more prop surface area + counter-rotation to balance the prop torque.

FYI how does that thru-hull ducer mounted on the stern perform at speed? Is that because the hull is cored?

You have more prop surface area + counter-rotation to balance the prop torque.

FYI how does that thru-hull ducer mounted on the stern perform at speed? Is that because the hull is cored?
That is an interesting setup. Guess it would allow for an easier transducer swap out if needed. Also doesn’t require a large hole to be cut into the hull.

The hull is not cored so a thru-hull would be easy.

The triple beam B54 , if mounted as a thru-hull, needs to be mounted centerline of your boat with an unobstructed view, preferably inside a faring block —-no way I wanted a faring block on a boat I plan on trailering.

I’ve had that transducer for 5 seasons now. I took it off my Skagit Orca before selling it last July—-this is how it hung on the main outboard engine bracket of the Orca....

F3AA372F-BFEB-46BB-8856-384837453267.jpeg

I fired up the B54 yesterday on the Seasport for the first time. I got nice clean targets but the guys who fabbed the bracket used a bracket with a 90 degree angle and didn’t bother to shim it so the face of the B54 is not parallel with the sea floor—-it’s angled downward—-next time I pull the boat I’ll have to shim the bracket to correct for the set-back of the transom angle.....

Here’s some bait the transducer painted yesterday, ——I had a Garmin GT51 firing at the same time and based on the returns I was seeing in Chirp mode on the Garmin, I could see that the B54 was not capturing all the bait balls on the bottom due to the beam scattering produced by the unshimmed bracket

On my Orca, I lost my picture at 3,400 RPM (which I expected due to turbulence from water boiling off the trailing edge of the transom)

Yesterday, I lost my picture at 2,900 RPM. I’m really hoping that fiddling with the angle will bump up the RPM’s until target loss, and improve overall target returns—-transducer mounting is not an exact science!

IMG_20200927_154226.jpg

Last edited:
The hull is not cored so a thru-hull would be easy.

The triple beam B54 , if mounted as a thru-hull, needs to be mounted centerline of your boat with an unobstructed view, preferably inside a faring block —-no way I wanted a faring block on a boat I plan on trailering.

I’ve had that transducer for 5 seasons now. I took it off my Skagit Orca before selling it last July—-this is how it hung on the main outboard engine bracket of the Orca....

View attachment 57494

I fired up the B54 yesterday on the Seasport for the first time. I got nice clean targets but the guys who fabbed the bracket used a bracket with a 90 degree angle and didn’t bother to shim it so the face of the B54 is not parallel with the sea floor—-it’s angled downward—-next time I pull the boat I’ll have to shim the bracket to correct for the set-back of the transom angle.....

Here’s some bait the transducer painted yesterday, ——I had a Garmin GT51 firing at the same time and based on the returns I was seeing in Chirp mode on the Garmin, I could see that the B54 was not capturing all the bait balls on the bottom due to the beam scattering produced by the unshimmed bracket

On my Orca, I lost my picture at 3,400 RPM (which I expected due to turbulence from water boiling off the trailing edge of the transom)

Yesterday, I lost my picture at 2,900 RPM. I’m really hoping that fiddling with the angle will bump up the RPM’s until target loss, and improve overall target returns—-transducer mounting is not an exact science!

View attachment 57495
After you get it shimmed properly, have you tried adding some more trim tab to get a better return at higher speeds? Works great for me. I think it's the air getting mixed in at high speed more than turbulence. More tab means more hull in the water and less air in the water by the time it gets to the transducer.

Glad you were treated so well regarding the dirty fuel. I've had a lot of experience with sea water in my fuel due to bad fuel system design (vent was on a horizontal surface at the bow) and all I got were lies out of the builder of my boat.

Ethanol is excellent at absorbing the water and carrying it through the filter so your engine can try to burn it. That white sludge doesn't look like a water issue to me. But at least it's fixed now! :)

Back