Sidney to Seattle via the San Juan Islands. Doable in a 18.5 Double Eagle? I am curious about the route and sights to see along the way.

smokedvw

Hi,

So I have thought about heading down to Bellevue for a few days this summer (likely July or August) and thought it would be interesting to go by boat. Typically I take the sea plane out of the harbour but thought about taking a route through the San Juans and then the inner passage of the Puget Sound.

Looks like it will probably cost more than taking the sea plane in fuel haha ;)

I have a few questions. Since I cant get my chart plotter to work, it looks around 120 nm, I think cruising speed is around 23-25mph so about 6 hours it seems but I also need to clear customs so I think that would add 1+ hours each way. I have never cleared it via boat before but since I have my NEXUS it looks like you just need to call in before arrival.

Anyone have a good suggestion on the route or places to stop etc.

Taking the route shown seems like the only exposed area would really be around the Anacortes area and then part of the Puget Sound.

I would like take our time on the way down, see some sights etc and then stay overnight so any suggestions on hotels near a marina to keep the boat overnight would be great. Ones that are not an arm and a leg are even better. (I cant believe the rates on Airbnb in some of the harbours)

Thanks

1648571097786.png

Last edited:
I've done this a few times. Clear customs in Friday harbour, which is a nice stop anyways. If you decide to go through Deception pass and down the east side of Whigbey Island time your travel through deception with a slack tide! It can be a sketchy bit of water IF the tide is flowing big.

You can use this app to plan your route. Click on the dividers in the lower right, then click on route button and you can select automatic between 2 points. Places to stop wouild be Roche Harbour, Friday harbour, Anacortes. You could take Swinomish channel and avoid Deception Pass and the west side of Whidbey Island. La Connor is a great place to stop too.

Back