Shovel Nose Louie

I hope I am wrong, but it looks like we are bound by the slot rules again from July 15 to 31 to allegedly protect Fraser River chinook, even though fisheries own science and data unquestionably determines that we do not catch even one Fraser River chinook. This is our fault. They need to be dragged out into the light.

Last edited:
I hope I am wrong, but it looks we are bound by the slot rules again from July 15 to 31 to allegedly protect Fraser River chinook, even though fisheries own science and data unquestionably determines that we do not catch even one Fraser River chinook. This is our fault. They need to be dragged out into the light.

You are wrong, because it's even worse than you think.

The way the rules read now we cannot take any Chinook over 80 cm until September 1st.

This means no fish large enough to be a Tyee can be taken in the Tyee Pool in August, only after September 1st.

Worse than last year.

Take care.

From what I can tell the new rules came out today. I am just sick. This has to be someone's political agenda. We really needed to fight this harder last year. It will be much harder this year. Last year the consequences of the restrictions, including the slot restrictions, were far too many fish in the Campbell River, so they opened a special river fishery to clear some of them out before they damaged the spawning beds. At a time when the numbers supported a reduction of the restrictions and increased retention, DFO went the other way. The Campbell is doing just fine thanks to all of the efforts that have gone into it, including a massive amount of volunteer work. This has nothing to do with conservation. The Campbell River can only handle so many returning fish. We need to keep educating people to understand that we are not catching Fraser River fish. None of the fish we catch, not even one, is a Fraser River fish. Out of the last 100 fish caught by the Tyee Club rowers, 98 were Campbell River fish and if memory serves correctly of the other two, one was a Cowichan fish and the other was from a Columbia tributary in southern Washington State. This is from DFO's own data and was gathered from DNA samples from the Tyee Club's head recovery program. In a democracy we do have the right to demand that those who govern us do so with an even hand and competently.

Last edited:
If the season turns out the way it did two years ago, (only a couple of fish caught in the first week of September and then none to the end of the season on September 15), the new rule will effectively mean no tyee season at all. We could change our name to the Non-Tyee Club. The city of Campbell River could change it's logo to the Non-Salmon Capital of the world. As an involuntary catch and release fishery, it will only take a single one of these magnificent fish released dead and floating up on the beach, wasted, for there to be a call to close the pool altogether. The club's voluntary catch and release proposal only allowed a tyee to be released, if and only if, the fish was judged to be in good enough condition that it would survive. Now, even dead fish or those highly unlikely to survive must be released (and wasted) under penalty of law. Are they nuts?

It seems likely that if none of the fish caught by the rowers are Fraser River fish that this would also be true along the whole Campbell River waterfront. This is consistent with what we were told last year that by July 15th, any Fraser River chinook passing Campbell River, had already done so.

Last edited:
Looks like the Tyee Club is engaging DFO with DFO's own data that the club is not catching Fraser River fish or impacting on any other river's returning fish. There is a new posting on the club's website. Fingers are crossed. We will soon learn what is actually behind this decision.

Caution: There is a guy on Ebay advertising a Wee Louie as a shovelnose. Save your money. Tried sending him a message but he does not communicate.

Spoke to the Tyee Club weighmaster an hour ago. Apparently their efforts engaging DFO on the 80 cm max size limit were successful. The change was apparently posted yesterday, but I cannot find it. So the consensus of rumour is that the restriction will be off for the tyee pool area. Not sure about the rest of the Campbell River waterfront.

Found it. thanks. Apparently after Aug 31 retention limit will go up to 2 fish per day. So now, instead of being in worse shape than last year, we are in better shape.

You probably shouldnt have that in your collection... Drop it off at my Office and i will ensure it is disposed of properly :)

Greg
Hi Greg

My response to your pm was returned. It does seem to be me that is the problem. Send me a pm with your phone number or email address. Picking up three more stewart 8's this morning.

Bruce

Hi Greg

My response to your pm was returned. It does seem to be me that is the problem. Send me a pm with your phone number or email address. Picking up three more stewart 8's this morning.

Bruce
Pm’d You my Phone # for texts

Back